OK. Eat ‘Em And Smile Equals...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WoRn FrEtS, Mar 18, 2020.

1. WoRn FrEtS

WoRn FrEtS Member

Not trying to bash anyone’s music taste. If it is your favorite album, I am very sorry. I had to do some things around the house today. I remember Yankee Rose, thought it was cool. I said to myself, hey listen to the rest of the album. Put my earbuds in and... Man, it is terribly awful. I mean, how did this thing get produced or even sell? Anyone remember it? Reflections? Thoughts? Am I missing something?

jawajt, drri, FbIsNotE and 3 others like this.
  2. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Your tastes have changed. I still think it's a kick-ass album. Skyscraper on the other, hand, hasn't held up so well for me, but still has some good stuff.

I like Steve Vai best in the context of a commercial rock band. I'm probably in the minority on that, I'm sure.

3. WoRn FrEtS

WoRn FrEtS Member

Maybe tastes have changed. Seems like David Lee Roth has ahead a kick arse guitarist. Just seems like the lyrics were so pushed. On a few songs, I was like what the crap ya saying? The actual music was fine.

4. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I just listened to Ladies Night in Buffalo for the first time in years. Mainly for nostalgic purposes though. Loved it when itcame out in 86 but yeah it has worn on me. That was one of my best summers so it has a place in my head.

5. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Goin’ Crazy ( From the heat) was good.

Shyboy was good.

That video with Dave in a fat suit was good. “. I’ll have a turkey on rye. And throw in the rest of the turkey”.

LeftyGtrPlr and wntbtw like this.
  6. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Listening to Yankee Rose makes me think of this guy....DLR - the rock-n-roll shill/shuckster.

and this guy too...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    DV52, harry65 and buddaman71 like this.
  7. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Remove the cover tunes (almost half the album), and you're left with mostly mediocre material played by stellar musicians.
    IMO of course.

8. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

It’s still better than “5150”.
    Sorry.

9. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

There’s live fan footage of that tour on YouTube, Vai plays the EVH stuff while jumpin’ around like it was easy for him

Steve Vai, though obviously great, is not one of my favorites
    I do like him best playing rock as he did with Roth or in the Crossroads movie.

Dr Bonkers, uab9253, wntbtw and 4 others like this.
  10. sahhas

sahhas Member

I had the album on vinyl back in the day, it’s been a long time since I’ve listened to it... I mean I suppose you compare it to 5150... which on that album I still don’t love the keyboard tunes, and didn’t love them in ‘86!!!
    I think ultimately what DLR lost was his writing partner, he and Ed May have clashed personally , but they just made magic. I think the downfall of DLRs career is he just ends up using hired guns and doesn’t have a writing partner anymore. I think EEAS has some good stuff, and skyscraper does too- I think the songs Hina, and damn good are some of the best stuff he wrote, he just needed EVH w/ him. Btw... I always read into Damn Good that he had regrets on his decision in 1985, just my reading...
    Btw... no slight to either Vai or Sheehan, just knew they wouldn’t last forever w/ DLR...

11. guitargeek6298

guitargeek6298 Member

Yeah, it's not my favorite. I actually think the production holds the album back in a lot of cases. And Steve's playing sounds bizarre to me in that context. He's one of my favorite players, but it just doesn't fit the music to me.

Beagle1, HugoLC, ADF and 1 other person like this.
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

It was definitely better than what VH was doing at the time.

jb70, stratoquack, L13 and 6 others like this.
  13. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Three VH records I never ever listen to: 1984, 5150, and III.

NorCal_Val and Floyd Eye like this.
  14. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Seems that once Dave left Van Halen, he wanted nothing more than to get back in. Had VH flipped with Hagar, the Dave reunion would have happened relatively quickly.

sahhas and Floyd Eye like this.
  15. jwny72

jwny72 Member

That was the big hair 80s. The boys in the band(s) could really play, but the writing...omg

16. pepedede

pepedede Member

I love OU812 as much as I do love eat em and smile.

:hide

paulydangerous, ejecta, Rob G and 3 others like this.
  17. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

I do as well. I bought my first brand new car in 1988. A black Mustang . When I took it home from the dealer on a hot summer day, first cassette in the deck was OU812!

sahhas and pepedede like this.
  18. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

This is a great album. Ladies Night in Buffalo and I forget the name of the other one that is my favorite on the album, it like a slow grove to it.

III is a joke except one song.

19. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

Listen to it as someone who wants to enjoy listening to music, not as a musician

20. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

=I'm talkin' 'bout a wanky load.
    Given Vai's participation, I'd probably enjoy it more the opposite way. As a guitarist his capability astonishes me but I never enjoy the songs he plays on as much as his playing itself.

zwiefldraader and sahhas like this.