OK. Eat ‘Em And Smile Equals...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WoRn FrEtS, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Member

Eat em and smile was a pivotal album for me growing up, and a huge influence on my approach to playing guitar, Vai's playing blew me away, and still does.

Toby Krebs, Coalface1971 and pepedede like this.
  2. pepedede

pepedede Member

I loved the competition between both bands at that time, vh gave 5150, dlr gave eat em and smile, vh gave OU812, dlr gave skyscraper.

Vh probably one the commercial/pop win on 5150 with dreams, why can't this be love, but for pure musicianship and balls dlr killed it with eat em and smile.

OU812 over skyscraper anyday for me though, it's great they went head to head and upped each others game.

uab9253 likes this.
  3. 83stratman

83stratman Member

I saw that tour also (and I saw Skyscaper too) one of the best shows I have ever seen to this day.

Brooks, djp141 and infernaldingus like this.
  4. 83stratman

83stratman Member

WOW! I still fairly regularly listen to Eat Em and Skyscaper. I knew there is some hate (undeserving IMO) for Skyscarper, but Eat Em and Smile too!? Eat Em and Smile is one of the best records of the type from back then. This thread boggles my mind!

I also liked 5150 back then, but not only does 5150 sound very dated to me now, it is also the only Van Hagar I liked or can stand, still today. IOW there is no Van Hagar that stands up to the DLR stuff for me.

Coalface1971 and sahhas like this.
  5. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Better songs on 5150, but little EVH mojo. Sammy sang his ass off.
    DLR at the height of his arrogance/persona w/ Eat Em..., dated but stellar players in Vai/Sheehan. Steve amazing, but - while he looked/acted the part - he's just not a hard rocker, too quirky/unique as same goes for his time in Alcatrazz, Whitesnake. For a while his gig seemed to be assuming the reigns of the big guitar names - Yngwie, then Eddie, then Sykes... You can take the boy outta Zappa, but you can't...
    Both records suffer from production "of their time".

6. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Doesn't every record ever made "suffer from production of their time"?

I much rather "suffer" through an '80s record production than the distorted, brick walled mess with synthesized fake sub sonic, exaggerated bass of today's "production". It's as if no one has a decent playback system anymore.

7. Rob G

Rob G Member

I loved it then and I still like it.

However I've always preferred Skyscraper, I think it's a brilliant album and I know I'm in the minority, but still enjoy it today.

4b454e, Mickey Mick and sahhas like this.
  8. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

The part I wrote about Ted being unhappy with the sound and using Stevens' amps has been talked about by many people, including Steve Stevens himself.

The part about Vai trying to be a perfectionist, and Ted/Dave wanting spontaneity with imperfections I read in an interview with Vai himself, admittedly a long time ago :D

John 14:6, Go Cat Go!! and sahhas like this.
  9. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

Never thought of it that way! Thanks!

freedom's door likes this.
  10. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

I saw them play this material and live it killed! Vai smoked EVH and everyone else back then.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    stanshall likes this.
  11. WoRn FrEtS

WoRn FrEtS Member

This is the type of interesting stuff I like to know about. Thanks.

12. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    saw Van Halen open for the Rolling Stones on the Some Girls tour in July 1978, one of the better opening acts in memory, thereafter never owned a Van Halen record until I was given the first album at a yard sale in '03, which was bonus, for Runnin' with the Devil

always had two Van Halen tunes on my mix tape though, Beautiful Girls, and their greatest, the excellent Hot for Teacher

that was at a good tempo, fantastic, and it never gets old for me, it's an incredible riff, wish there had been another one or two like that

also always enjoyed Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Jamie's Cryin', Atomic Punk, Dance the Night Away, Everybody Wants Some, Unchained, just never owned the records

because of Zappa we wanted to see Vai play so we went to see David Lee Roth at the notorious Hollywood Sportatorium in Broward County on the Eat 'em and Smile tour in '86, Cinderella was the opening act, they were good

I only remember we had a good time and/but consensus remains that it was a fun night, the Sportatorium always was once you got there

the Spanish version of Yankee Rose is interesting in a From Dusk to Dawn way

13. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I would have liked to have seen EVH play Yankee Rose on the last tour. Or any other Roth solo era songs, for that matter.

sahhas and Toby Krebs like this.
  14. sahhas

sahhas Member

I saw both the VH 5150 tour and the DLR EEAS tours in ‘86,
    They were both good concerts. It was fun to see Vai in person, I thought he played the early VH stuff pretty well. The funny thing is the 5150 concert has probably been replaced by my memories of watching live w/o a net a million times!!!! I should watch some clips of the EEAS tour on YouTube... it’s too bad the DLR didn’t do the same, that would be a fun document to have of the era!!!

15. Dasein

Dasein Member

It's a great album - flawed by some standards - but hardly. There are sublime Dave moments on there - some amazing guitar and bass grooves - Yankee Rose is really the pinnacle of Hair farm Rock excess in terms of Dave's vision (where Just like Paradise on Skyscraper had tipped over on the diminishing returns side). Big Trouble -- stunner... Skyboy? Kickass - Tobacco Road - Groove or die baby - it swings like crazy - the songs are all strong as are the performances by Dave & the band - with the only exception being Elephant Gun to my ears - It's got that "Loss of Control" feel from WACF - a bit of a throwaway.

NB_Terry likes this.
  16. Bankston

Bankston Member

Personally, I think "Eat 'Em and Smile" is a terrific album but I like Dave's schtick most of the time and Vai is one of my favorite guitarists.

I still remember the wonder I felt when Vai made his guitar talk.

TubeStack, pickaguitar and 83stratman like this.
  17. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

.......one of the greatest rock albums ever recorded.

18. 83stratman

83stratman Member

"Not trying to bash anyone’s music taste. If it is your favorite album, I am very sorry."

Contradict much?

freedom's door likes this.
  19. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

That album is a great example of the power of MTV at that point in time. That band was visually exciting, and the videos were fun, and it let people ignore that the music was pretty silly.

20. somecafone

somecafone Member

Back in 2018, Chuck Klosterman rated every Van Halen song.
    All 131 of them.

This seems like a fine thread to post Chuck’s thoughts on #131.

131. “Why Can’t This Be Love,” 5150(1986)
    Just so we’re clear, this is not the single worst Van Halen song to listen to. I won’t jump out of a moving vehicle if it comes on the radio. But “Why Can’t This Be Love” was the first single released off 5150, and that was the worst decision the band ever made. If they’d opened with “Get Up” or “Summer Nights,” the collective view of post-Roth VH would likely be quite different. Introducing the Hagar era with a cold, mid-tempo, keyboard-based love song installed the belief that Van Halen was moving away from high-octane fiesta rock and toward responsible, AOR maturity. That sentiment was galvanized almost four months later, when Roth’s solo band debuted with “Yankee Rose,” an unbelievably ebullient song about wanting to f—k the Statue of Liberty. Roth never came up with another single as good as “Yankee Rose,” but the impact was seismic and perpetual. From that point forward, we would always know who was Laverne and who was Shirley.