OK. Eat ‘Em And Smile Equals...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WoRn FrEtS, Mar 18, 2020.

1. ZeyerGTR

ZeyerGTR Member

Outside of a song or two, I never really listened to that album until a few years ago when I picked it up on vinyl at a flea market for a few bucks. It's different, but I really like it. It is so... identifiably Vai. The album has a sense of humor, it swings, it shreds, it's quirky but also mainstream. Not the greatest songs in the world, but still a good album.

I also like 5150.

Just to play devil's advocate, I'm not sure it's that people ignored that some of the music was silly, I think it's that that was part of the appeal. There's plenty of room for seriousness in rock, but also plenty of room for fun, party music. IMHO rock has swung way too far to the former. VH and DLR are a good time, even though they definitely rock.. I kind of miss that. YMMV.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    sahhas likes this.
  2. johnny q

johnny q Member

I love this album. My knock on it is - it is too short. Great playing and Dave at his campy best.

Skyscraper on the other hand was a bit of a let down when released and my opinion has not changed.

sahhas likes this.
  3. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

One thing I always found interesting is that "Yankee Rose" doesn't have a "proper" guitar solo- just the noise histrionics at the end.
    I'd love to know what the reasoning was for that decision

sahhas likes this.
  4. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Member

5. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Having never owned the album I still actually enjoy hearing some of the songs on it.

I have always liked the intro riff to Going Crazy since I was a kid and still enjoy hearing it to this day, but 5-6 years may go by between me hearing it again.

I did however own Skyscraper when it was a new release and it was mostly a dud for me. Which I think is what kept me from go back and buying "Eat 'em".

6. cr7r9

cr7r9 Member

I don't think anyone could touch Yngwie up to and including 1986. Maybe after that, when his playing shifting in a more intense direction and his songs became more and more 'hard shred' I suppose.

Matt Dillon likes this.
  7. es137p

es137p Member

I remember liking it better than 5150, which seemed to slick. Eat em was balls out rock and roll.

Brooks, sahhas and NB_Terry like this.
  8. stradazone

stradazone Member

Unfortunately David isn't a fan of Yankee Rose these days he says it's a 4th of July song:), the only song we are playing on the tour from EEAS is 'Tobacco Road' and he does a great job singing it!

9. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Thanks Al.

Think you all sound great, and Dave is having a blast.

sahhas likes this.
  10. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

When had that ever not been the case with DLR... :D

11. cygnusx1

cygnusx1 Member

Put it into context. For the time it was excellent. Looking back on a lot of music now, some sounds cheesy etc. We have all changed somewhat in our tastes over the years. There are some killer tunes on there and sure, as a whole is wasn't van haled, but Dave was Dave and that's what he does.

sahhas likes this.
  12. RC Mike

RC Mike Member

Of DLR’s solo material, A Little Ain’t Enough is my favorite. It ditched the pop of Skyscraper and was much more straight-ahead rock. Jason Becker was outstanding on it. Dave’s voice hadn’t yet lost its range and character.

So much changed after ALAE, from Becker’s illness to DLR’s voice to the entire music market shifting. ALAE was the end of that era for DLR in so many ways, and it never really got much traction.

Coalface1971 and sahhas like this.
  13. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Big Trouble is my favourite song from DLR and from Vai.

Dasein, djp141, DRS and 2 others like this.
  14. sahhas

sahhas Member

Funny to rewatch this... this song was just made for DLR!!!

15. sahhas

sahhas Member

ALAE is a good album, I always sort of wondered how much Becker could do... it’s too bad... I think he would have made an interesting writing partner w/ DLR...
    The one thing I always wondered was why dLR didn’t work in the studio w/ Joe Holmes, I’ve seen some of the live clips with him and thought he was an amazing guitarist!
    Just too bad that DLR seemed to move to different people w/ each album, and it seemed like his return just went down down down.... but the shifting of the music market could also be a part of it

16. djp141

djp141 Member

Agreed. It was like Van Halen on steroids.

Brooks likes this.
  17. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

Favorite Vai is Alcatraz.

Honestly, it’s the only Vai I’ll listen to.

Beagle1, freedom's door and sahhas like this.
  18. sahhas

sahhas Member

PIL and Flexable are good!!!
    EEAS/ Skyscraper offer a unique look into the era, DLR may have looked like the hair band god, but I think his lyrics and pop sensibility put him heads and shoulders above most bands... it’s just leaving VH, he had to find a guitarist who could match EVH a bit, not that Vai was an EVH clone, but he did bring his own thing to those albums....ALAE is probably an album released at the cusp of a lot of change coming in the music biz....

B Money likes this.
  19. sahhas

sahhas Member

The one thing I always liked about the EEAS era , the tour anyway was Vai playing his Performance guitars, I always thought they were so cool:
    [​IMG]
    still remember seeing the Playboy guitar in some special guitarists of the 80s magazine, always thought it was cool, funny that was the guitar he smashed when the tour ended!!!

Coalface1971 likes this.
  20. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Heck yes it is!!! If only it could have come to fruition. But Steve did okay on it ;)

sahhas likes this.