OK. Eat ‘Em And Smile Equals...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WoRn FrEtS, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

I agree. Maybe if I made a playlist of the album excluding Panama, Hot for Teacher, and Jump, I would listen a lot more. But I can't bear to hear those three. I once loved them but am extremely sick of them.

fjblair likes this.
  2. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I think I agree with this. I remember thinking at the time that rather than hooking up with a rocker, he should have hooked up with a blues guy. I remember thinking SRV would have been a more interesting fit (not that their personalities would have been compatible).

Matt Dillon likes this.
  3. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

It’s a damn good album. One of the best of the decade. They pack more into those 33 minutes than most groups do in a whole career.

TubeStack, fjblair and Coalface1971 like this.
  4. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

I'm with ya.

ALAE is a super solid album, incredibly overlooked. Jason Becker and Steve Hunter were a killer combo.

Great songs, some by Craig Goldie (Dio's BIL?). Probably my most played out of the "Big Three", this, EEAS and Skyscraper.

Becker just blows my mind on "It's Showtime". "Tell the Truth" is a great tune, as is "Dogtown Shuffle". "Lady Luck" is a killer riff. Groovy heavy riff on "Drop in the Bucket". Dave is in good form on the album, too.

I might be acting selfish, but makes me angry with all of the drug and excess addled rockers who somehow lived long and/or are still about, but an an insidious disease like ALS hammers an unbelievable talent, changing his and the lives of everyone around him - through no fault of his own.

Changing scene was the end of a lot of things including DLR's momentum, but Van Hagar battled onward with the radio-friendly stuff which extended their relevant career, despite the Sammy bashers (if record sales and chart positions are a decent indicator).

5. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

100%. Hard makers are those who are those that dislike it.

Pidgin English and sahhas like this.
  6. DRS

DRS Member

As I said earlier, the best song on the album. In fact, Roth's "Big Trouble" is better than any song of Van Hagar on any Van Hagar album. There, I said it.

L13, djp141, Brooks and 1 other person like this.
  7. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Yep. Listen to a typical rock album from 1976 and there's a good chance you'll hear one or more examples of Minimoog solo, string synth, and/or phase shifted rhythm guitar. You wouldn't hear too many phased shifted rhythm guitar parts or string synths in '86, but there was a good chance you'd hear an "orchestral stab" sample or the shakuhachi sample from the Emu Emulator II sound library.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Coalface1971 likes this.
  8. vernplum

vernplum Member

I'm sorry, we can't be friends anymore.

Coalface1971 likes this.
  9. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Man, if I was never convinced how good this guy is, that just hammered it home.

Wonder if there is a back story around in regard to how he ended up with the DLR gig?

Ampedusa likes this.
  10. phretbored

phretbored Member

:dude EAT 'EM AND SMILE ROCKS :dude

if it's not your thing then you don't rock :hide2

or you rock less than you think :fisticuffs

:band

Pidgin English and John 14:6 like this.
  11. phretbored

phretbored Member

VH+SH = love songs

VH+DLR = lust songs

I way dig both DLR and SH

my favorite SH tho is that MONTROSE record SH sounds amazing

DLR is DLR he doesn't have the greatest voice but it's the right voice for VH style rock and he's my favorite in that space...plus DLR brings other stuff along to round things out

12. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

I have photos of what I was wearing in the mid 80's so yeah, there's that.:p

Not going there. Huge inflatable microphones as phallic symbols? Well....it was what it was...a decade of fun. Nobody I wanted to listen to were creating cassettes filled with songs about melting glaciers.

Matt Dillon likes this.
  13. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I am messing around on YouTube while under house arrest in California right now. :eek: And this one just popped up. Also with Jason Becker and Steve Hunter on guitar.

And this one with John 5 (Lowery) on guitar. Roth has SO MANY killer solo songs along with all kinds amazing guitarist and musicians. I love DLR but hate that he gets so much heat for basically not being 25 forever. At least he is not in the 27 Club.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Coalface1971 likes this.
  14. Brooks

Brooks Member

I like these, and Tobacco Road. It's a good 80s RAWK album; fun, chops, party atmosphere. Not jazz fusion.

15. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

never cared much for the album. the above discussed song big trouble has some great guitar stuff wedged into a shite song. which is par for the course for that album.

16. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I hear you, I hated Jump within seconds.

17. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

I wish the DLR Band album wasn’t out of print. It was put out during a time when 80’s hard rock was out to pasture but it’s a damn good album.

John 14:6 likes this.
  18. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Always liked Blacklight.

Pidgin English and John 14:6 like this.
  19. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I bought a used copy on Ebay.

TubeStack and Pidgin English like this.
  20. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Not sure I hate Jump (it was the 80's), but sick of it, and Panama. But never Hot for Teacher.

But the Jump solo? No way! Though it was alleged to be a 4-part splice, it's a cracker and cool to learn.

That tapping lick has some Holdsworth in there (not a linear Eruption or HFT-style lick, but big cascading intervals once he switches to the B, G and D strings, finishing with the bend), and that little ascending arpeggio before the big ascending hammer-on run (found in I'm the One, btw) is actually some phrasing, instead of flash.

EVH became a better phraser imo as time wore on. There's the thread about when his influence started waning? Think people just expected the "flash" to continue, but his playing "grew up" (not sure he did lol).

sahhas, fjblair and Ampedusa like this.