OK. Eat ‘Em And Smile Equals...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WoRn FrEtS, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

Loved
    Ladies Nite in Buffalo
    Big Trouble
    Yankee Rose
    Goin' Crazy

In that order

2. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I’ve always liked eat em and smile and skyscraper

Coalface1971 likes this.
  3. sahhas

sahhas Member

I actually listened to this yesterday and I think it holds up decent, I think my main issue is I don’t think Vai is the rhythm master like EVH, but for what is was at that moment in time , I think it was good!!!

4. DRS

DRS Member

I agree
    Eddie is perhaps the best rock rhythm player ever. Certainly in the best 3.
    But I don't care for his solos. Vai has always been a great soloist.

Floyd Eye and sahhas like this.
  5. sahhas

sahhas Member

And I should note: I think Vai can play Rhythm, see: Viv women from Flexible, but it just seems like it’s not the main emphasis on his playing, whereas EVH you can tell 60s-70s rock was etched in his DNA.... and a big part of that was rhythm....

27sauce, Coalface1971 and Floyd Eye like this.
  6. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

I think it sounded more like VH than VH. Sammy “took” them in a different direction (just by being himself). For those that wanted the real VH, DLR offered that, partly with the songs and, mostly, because he was the voice of VH.

7. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

And I watched the Lee Jackson interview on Tone Talk a few weeks ago and he said he brought his own amp down to the studio the same day Vai called because they NEEDED IT immediately because Vai's Carvin amps were not cutting it. Lee Jackson's guys started hooking everything up and Jackson said that as soon as David Lee Roth heard the amp he was so happy that he started handing out money to all the guys in Jackson's crew.

sahhas likes this.
  8. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

This is a great read:

While Roth was well accustomed to Templeman’s ways of working, it took a bit of getting used to for Vai, who had a very different mindset when it came to studio work. “At times I didn’t know if I liked [Ted’s approach],” he explained to Guitar Player. “But then I realized, boy, it’s really fun. Get in there and do it. We kept about 50 percent of what Dave sang on the basic tracks. I’m used to sitting in the studio and tweaking and playing and punching and tweaking some more and EQ’ing and punching again. With this, it’s get in there and kill the guy with the ball.””

https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/revisiting-david-lee-roths-eat-em-and-smile-30-years-later

sahhas likes this.
  9. sahhas

sahhas Member

Yeah, I think the problem is Vai was used to how Zappa did things, total control freak, who had his own studio that he built in the late 70s... so Zappa could do things most bands couldn’t: take his time to get things right. Templeton came from the old school world of you are in the studio and paying for it, so get it done fast! Time=$$$.
    And of course Vai was moving toward the Zappa world of having his own studio... so he could have that luxury also....

TubeStack likes this.