Ok, forget watts, how many dB do I need with acoustic drums?

LPV

We play with electric drums or acoustic for various gigs. Today I was messing around with my tone (like everyday) and I found a pretty decent tone and volume that I can live with from my 50w amp. So I decided to check how many dB I had at about 7 feet away. Playing rythym and lead I was registering between 92-94dB which I figure is a fairly manageable volume. Anyone check how much dB you actually need/use with an average drummer on an acoustic kit?

therhodeo

There I no such thing as an average drummer or average kit. I've played with guys where a classic 30 1x12 combo was enough and I've played with guys where I was clipping a 50 watt head into a v30 loaded 2x12 and still felt buried.

Besides the drummer..
What other instrumentation?
Musical style?
Room size and sound reinforcement set up?
Guitar, amp, speaker set up?
Favored tone settings (fat and round, thin and biting, etc)?

Geetarpicker

I’ve done some dB measurements during the gig just out of curiosity, and even with a medium hitting drummer you will probably need at least 100db, probably a little more.

(Edit: I should have mentioned this is around 6-8' from the amp.)

Last edited:

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
My friends and I are on the 12th year of running a three day punk/metal/indiefest in May. For the last several years I’ve run a dB meter from an app during sets just to gauge what’s going on. Bands ran between 95-105 dB all weekend. Mostly in the 99-101 range. The drummer dictated where the meter hit.

onestop

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve done some dB measurements during the gig just out of curiosity, and even with a medium hitting drummer you will probably need at least 100db, probably a little more.
Same observation. Dial in your rig around 100db at home and once on stage, you’ll discovery your right in range - or at least that’s my experience :aok

LPV

I’ve got plenty of power on tap but it will be interesting to see if I can get by with mid 90s dB @7ft with the band.

primal

Silver Supporting Member
dB SPL comparisons are pretty much meaningless without the distance from the source being reported. The OP reports 7 feet away, but the other posts don't mention distance.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This

Im curious to hear answers as well but distance from the source is key

Just Mike

It also depends on the size of the stage. I know the room size was already mentioned, but the proximity to the drums is a big factor. In my case, I'm the main lead singer so I have to stand center stage right in front of the drummer. There's no good place to set my amp where I can hear it over the drums. For reference, we're a 2 guitar classic rock band.
The point is to be closer to your amp than the drums. BTW, we play pretty loud and all 4 of us sing. One of the biggest problems we have is our drummer's vocal mic. His snare clips his vocal mic channel and there's nothing we can do about it. We've estimated his snare is hitting 120dB at 2 feet. And I can feel the air blasting out of his kick drum port and hitting me in my calf. It feels like my cat bumping against me when he wants pets.

IM4Tone

Around 92-95 db @ 8 ft. for rhythm and during vocals....add 10-12 db for soloing. This is what works for me.

Reactions: LPV

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
A good drummer can adjust to the room.

... A typical guitar player will drown the drummer no matter what his/her level or the size of the room.

... ... If there are two guitar players, the drummer becomes a click track.

:rolleyes:

Tommy_G

My rigs run:

14W through 97 dB
28W through 94 dB

That is a very comfortable stage volume that most would say isnt loud enough..

Thus I have to conclude that a 2x6v6 or 2xEL84 is plenty but match your need through speakers selection.

Wildhawk1

A good drummer can adjust to the room.
^^^ They're rare but it makes a HUGE difference. *Same goes for guitarists and the volume knob.

More than once I've handed a drummer Hot Rods or brushes because they just didn't get it. :mad:

Back to the OP.

Decibels??

Use your ears and not a meter to determine if it sounds right.

It's ALWAYS about what the audience hears. Unless you're playing huge stages it doesn't take alot of watts for the average local gig. 15w is plenty loud. More then get a PA and run a line out. Good ones are dirt cheap these days.

Trending Topics