1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

OK, help me decide.....strat or legacy

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by taylorman22, Feb 13, 2009.

1. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

OK, which is a better quality instrument? I won't say the price....only that both are in my price range. One is $200 less than the other though.

2004 50th Anniversary Strat (alder, scn pickups, locking tuners, s-1, maple neck)

OR

USA G&L Legacy (ash, rosewood neck)

Both are mint to near mint condition. Best guess puts the G&L as a 2007-2008. Whichever one I buy, I want to put Dimarzio Area 58's in the neck and middle and an Area 61 in the bridge. I also want to wire the back tone knob to the bridge pickup, the other tone knob to the neck, leave the middle pickup wide open, and do a volume pot mod that allows me to bring down the volume and not lose the highs.

With that info, which would be the better guitar? I'm after the real bluesy rock tone and glassy clean tone.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I always have preferred G&L Legacys' to a lot of newer Fender Strats. I speak from experience having owned 2 of each. G&L's are the some of the best bargains around on the used market.

3. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Would the tone be different between the two if they had the same pickups? I'm after the tone you get from a strat with those Dimarzio pickups, but I like the G&L quality and the looks of this particular one.

4. johnboho

johnboho Member

ive owned both and will honestly say the g&l is a better made and sounding guitar they even look more expensive imo

5. johnboho

johnboho Member

tone is different in the maple neck versus the rosewood thats all

6. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

7. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

a couple Am series, A couple AmDlx, A strat Ultra, '08 AmStd, two Eric Johnsons.
    all were nice and had strong points but bar none the best "strat" I've had is the '06
    Legacy I have now.
    I did swap out the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio Vitual Solo as I need a little more output for high gain stuff. Other than that...perfect.
    I'm just down the road in Twin if you want to try it out. :)

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

Hey man! How's that Legacy with the Bardens treating you?

9. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Without checking out each guitar it's going to be impossible for anyone to tell you which guitar has the better quality. No way.

Both companies make wonderful guitars with different tones and feel. Go with the one that you want the most. Since you plan to change a bunch of things anyway, it's going to be a bit of a crap shoot as to what you end up with.

I've owned too many guitars from each of these companies to try to make you believe that one is inherently better than the other.

10. davejeon02

davejeon02 Member

You obviously want Lincoln Brewster's tone as you name every single mod he mentions on his guitar in his DVD. He uses an alder strat with a maple board so if you want to get closer to his tone, you should go with the alder body and maple board.

11. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Yeah, I'm after his tone. A buddy of mine with an 18 year old AmDlx strat put virtual vintage pickups in his and with his Pod X3L, it was LB's tone. This friend of mine is a real good guitarist too. It sure made a difference on the LB stuff we do. I don't have to have it exact, but I do like those pickups and the way he wires it sure makes sense.....more versatile.

It probably doesn't matter what guitar you have...really. I saw him at a conference in Seattle, and he asked for 3 people to bring up their electrics that they had brought to the conference. They ranged from a $150 Squire strat to a $400 something with humbuckers. He plugged each of them into his pod and when he played, they all had his tone. They sounded like.....Lincoln Brewster. His point? You don't have to break the bank to get a good sound. He made that Squire strat sound great. So, Legacy, Strat, whatever......SCN's, Dimarzios, whatever......it's gonna sound like me. Unfortunately, I suck!

Anyway, just wondering if I would still be able to get LB's tone with a Legacy if I had the Dimarzio pickups.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  12. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

13. devinb

devinb Member

I'll vote Legacy as well...that's what my strat-style is, and I couldn't be happier.

14. HotFuss

HotFuss Member

I have a 1993 American Std. and a 2000 American Deluxe Std., as well as a '93 or '94 Legacy Special. I can't speak for the later ('98 and beyond) Legacies, but based on the shape and feel of the neck alone, I use it as my main guitar, and the Fenders whenever I feel like a change. The Fender necks are much wider (at least the 'C' shaped ones I have), I find the G&L one much more comfortable, and not too narrow.

15. flash6971

flash6971 Guest

I have owned both also, and agree that most Legacy's are better than most Strat's overall. The wood and finish, especially.

BUT.... do not forget to at least give a passing thought to resale value. The G&L's do not hold their value as well as a Strat. And that might not be important to you, but no one else has mentioned it.

I bought a beautiful Legacy swearing that I would never sell it. Well... never say never. And I definitely lost more money on it than I would have if it was a Strat.

So they are a bargain for buyers, but you likely won't ever get your money out of it if you have to sell it.

16. DrBob

DrBob Member

Have you played the two guitars in question ?
    I only ask because given that it's your stated intention to change the pickups, of the Sound & Feel equation the Feel is surely the key to this one ?

17. d1dsj

d1dsj Member

I have had both... but I'm left with my Trans blonde 3 bolt neck Legacy 'coz it feels right for me. The body contours, fit and finish are excellent but then again Fender has upped their overall quality and make great guitars again. The G&L dual fulcrum may look a little bulky but suits me better.
    [​IMG]

18. taylorman22

taylorman22 Member

Yeah, it's about fit, feel, and finish.

19. rockstarjay

rockstarjay Member

A dissenting Opinion:

Get the Fender. Both are great guitars but I really prefer the Fender. Plus the legacys always look a bit 'off' to me.

If you don't like the strat you can EASILY trade it for a legacy and make them throw in a stompbox.

If its $200 more for the G&L you are out of your mind to buy it over the USA Strat. Plus, the SCNs can also be easily sold to offest the Dimarzios you want.

20. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

There are dogs & gems from all manufacturers and at all price points. So, until you have the guitars in your hands and tickle your ears with them, there's no way to subjectively say which is "better".