OK... Here is a question (Two-Rock Jet Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gregory70, Jan 15, 2008.

1. gregory70

gregory70 Supporting Member

I have a Two-Rock Jet (head and 1X12 Sig Cabinet) that I love. The cleans are fantastic, the drive is great, huge sound, yadayadayada. So the other day I plugged an Eternity into and was floored. I hate to say this, but I think I prefered the Eternity OD sound to the Jet OD. It's a little early to tell, but it just felt more alive to me and I could EQ it a bit to be more in balance with the clean channel.

Then yesterday, I got a Zendrive 2 and plugged it in. Same thing. I only spent a few minutes with it, but the Zendrive 2 instantly sounded outstanding.

Don't get me wrong, the Jet's OD is fantastic, but I occassionally have trouble balancing the two channels. And it was nice having having a little eq in the pedal.

Is it a sacrilege to use pedals with a Two-Rock? Does it seem like a waste to have a two channel amp and use pedals rather than the onboard OD? How do others use the Jet or other two channel Two Rock amps?

Your thoughts...

2. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

It is what it is - all that matters is that you're happy with it. I have a bunch of two-rocks and usually have some kind of overdrive pedal just for a different flavor. So if you like the pedal - use the pedal.

Now, if you're just unhappy with the lead channel and never use it, you could look into a one-channel amp to use as a pedal platform. But I haven't heard the Jet, so I don't know what other amps might get close to its clean channel.

3. albuht813

albuht813 Member

It's completely OK to use pedals with two rock....but then who has the right to tell YOU what is acceptable to run through the jet. If you don't find yourself really using the OD and think that you don't have the right amp, I would suggest looking into a Classic Reverb. single channel with fantastic cleans and FET.

4. gregory70

I dunno, I have yet to find an amp with perfect balance between channels. The TR Jet has fantastic OD and it absolutely roars. I need to try these pedals into the amp in a different room and spend more time with it. Maybe I should set of the Jet to be lower gain and use the pedals for the heavier stuff. I just want to use the amp to it's fullest potential.

Any Jet Settings (Jettings :D ) out there to share?

BTW - what is FET?

5. strattone75

strattone75 Supporting Member

john mayer rocks a tubescreamer through his 8000 dollar two rock...although his only a single channel.

6. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

I preferred the Zen II also when I had my TR Emerald 50 combo and ext cab. Killer cleans but the OD just didn't do it for my taste/needs. I also had a Fuchs ODS30 and liked the OD better than the TR. The cleans were better on the TR for me. In the end I ended up selling both and getting a Pure 64 with a matching 2x12 and using the Zen and a Howie (mild OD). The cleans are FANTASTIC. Just huge sounding. Maybe I'm just not a Dumble OD type guy.

7. trap

trap Supporting Member

i really can't seem to find a bad setting on the jet. right about now treb 1:00,bright off. mids 11 to 1:00, bass 2:00, gain 12:00, master 12:00, od clean 1 or 2:00, master 10:00. to me this is a nice balance between the clean and dirty channels. but if you dig a pedal, use it for some extra coloration.i also suggest some nos tubes in v1 and 2. like rca's.but you are wise to spend more time with the pedals, you may find that after a while they don't sound like they did at first.

8. gregory70

I would have to agree. The amp sounds fantastic, I was just surprised at how good pedals sounded thru it. I'll give you settings a try. Is this your live setting? Do you mike your amp or does this carry the room? Thanks!

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

it carries the room but the room is a bar and it's a jazz fusion trio so it's not too loud. but this amp can crank.i have 6L6's in it. i might bring up the lead master a bit live. try an rft 12ax7 in v2 for earlier breakup. great tube and only 30 bucks nos from the right place.one thing i've noticed about the jet is that it sounds better biased at 30 ma per tube than hotter than that.i'm using the tad short bottles.they sound and look the closest to my rca blackplates.