Ok...here we go...Trainwreck or Dumble which do you want

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BadAssBill, Jan 8, 2008.

1. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

If you were given the choice of having a Dumble or Trainwreck, which are you taking and why? Take money out of the equation.

Discuss.

2. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Trainwreck. Sounds more Rock 'n Roll to my ears than Dumble. Good tone, just not my thing.

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I'd take the one that sells for more money. Sell it and buy a reasonably priced amp.

4. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

trainwreck. most likely an express but possibly a rocket.

5. eddie101

eddie101 Silver Supporting Member

6L6 based Dumble w/Classic EQ. Why? It just sounds "better" to my ears. With Skyline EQ, one needs to TRULY crank up the amp to appreciate its full capabilities. With Classic, however, that isn't necessary. YMMV, of course.

Trainwreck? They are "nice" amps but sound too close to Marshall than, say, a Fender Twin, which is what Dumble is "based" on. Just not MY cup of tea, that is all. Peace.

6. Miles

Miles Member

Dumble...great tone by itself and put an OD and FUZZ in front.

Although, I'm pretty happy with any good clean amp with a pedal that I actually like in front. I could play a Twin with a RAT the rest of my life and be pretty content.

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I'm afraid I'm going to need an example of each for a live A/B test.

PM me for my shipping address. :)

8. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

with all seriousness?

neither. taking money out of the equation.

but if i *had* to...i would go for the more fendery sound (which is what i like) so dumble.

9. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

yeah, neither is anything I'm that crazy about but the TW sounds better to me.

10. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

+1...

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Same here.

12. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

IMO, they are at opposite ends of a couple of spectrums. Opposite ends of the overdrive spectrum...Dumble is smooth while the Trainwreck is aggressive. Opposite ends of the clean spectrum...Dumble is Fender-y but with more mids and is very clean until way up on the dial while the Trainwreck is only semi-clean and not Fender-y (more Vox-y IMO). Dumble is a channel-switcher and the Trainwreck is a volume-control-rider's amp.

Both amps are known for their sustain and touch sensitivity but IMO a person that tends to love one will often tend not to love the other.

I've never played either...but I built a homebrew of each and if given the choice...I would choose a Marshall.

13. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I've played several of both, and appreciate them both for different reasons.
    I would choose a good Dumble, because it more fits my style and is more versatile, but the feel of playing a good wreck, like a Liverpool or Express, is an unbelievable experience.

14. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Well, I actually had to think kinda hard about this... Not something I'm used to :p I'll have to rest now.

Never played either one, just listened.

OK, as much as I love the lead tones I hear from the Trainwreck (I prefer the Express to the Liverpool, btw), and even like the clean/cleanish tones, I'd have to go with the Dumble. I'm not sure if I play loud enough for a Trainwreck... A "Fendery" or other similar clean is foundational for me sound-wise... I'm into effects and there's the Dumbleator (I expect one with my Dumble, thank you :D)... I'm perfectly able to work the volume and other controls on my guitar and vary pick attack, but I also desire "channels" or footswitchable features... I like many of the overdrive tones I've hear from Dumbles, too... So, yeah, I'd have to go with the Dumble.

Ironically, before this thread and actually thinking about it, I'd probably have said Trainwreck! I still want a Fuchs Blackjack21 (a "Train inspired" amp), though.

Thanks for the interesting post! I'd actually thought about the question before (but obviously didn't think very hard, LOL)

15. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have a guy building a 100 watt wreck right now...that might be rock n roll.

16. Flux

Flux Member

Both, or nothing.

17. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I'm a clean amp person, so Dumble!
    but if it was to compliment my current Chandler Amps C38 I'd go with the Wreck.

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Dumble.

I have played both side by side. If you like one, you are probably not going to like the other.

Blues/pop rock/fusion/jazz guys...Dumble.

Hard rock/metal guys. Trainwreck.

Basically...Fender VS Marshall.

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

well, there i am.
    i love them both, altho' i loved the 'wreck first. i had to play a few d*mbles before i was smitten.

just to clear up a few misconceptions. some d*mble and D-style amps can sound very aggressive and have somewhat of a marshall flavour w/ certain setting and playing techniques. cranking the master up to full and the initial gain up to 2-3 o'clock w/o the OD or PAB being engaged will result in some pretty classic 'rock' tones. the better d*mbles (and 'clones') that i've played are just as sensitive to guitar volume and manipulation as a 'wreck.

i realise that i'm a bit of an anomaly, but i can't imagine it being an either/or choice. i'd want 'em both and probably a few variations of each. express, london, rocket, 80's ODS w/ skyline, 90's ODS w/ HRM, bluesmaster, etc.....

20. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Dumble.

Grew up listening to it, It's burnt into my Physche. it's the holy grail of tones for moi.