1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

OK. I admit it. My sound sucks....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Zemaitisguitar, May 19, 2011.

1. Zemaitisguitar

Zemaitisguitar Silver Supporting Member

I have a PRS McCarty and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I just can't to dial in a sound that feels or sounds right. I feel like I've tried all variations. Any suggestions? I know this might be blasphemy but I'm happy with some of my tones I get out of my pocket pod. Do I look at a Line 6? Any help would be appreciated....

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

budget? can't answer your question without it.

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

My friend has worked on a few HRD's. Change ALL the tubes. And get it biased correctly. This made every one of them have better tone.

4. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

Get a different guitar. Any guitar that's not a PRS.

5. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

:munch

6. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

I doubt it's your gear. Any gear that is vaguely legit (and yours is fine) can produce great tones. Maybe you just need to practice more? I sure as hell do.

7. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

My sound improved immensely when I began to set up my amps and pedals the way Scott Henderson does. Set up your amp overdriven and make your clean sound with the volume pot on your guitar. Insert your pedals in between....

8. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

you should be able to dial in tones that sound good with that equipment.

#1 what is the sound in your head that you are looking for?

#2 are plugging directly into the amp? or using effects

#3 if you are using effects...then what effects are you using?

#4 who are your influences tone-wise/guiatrist-wise

i am not throwing stones here, but after 20 years of playing i can gurantee that i can make almost anything (especially a mccarty through a tube fender) sound good to me.

9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

post some clips of your playing/sounds/music,
    along w/your detailed self-critique, some examples of musical context
    and a list of your sonic goals (w/audible examples);
    then, folks might be capable of offering some value with their remote "help".

dt / spltrcl

10. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Could be the wrong amp to go with that guitar and your intended style. What do you want to sound like? What amp model are you drawn to on the POD?

11. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

definitely have to list what you're chasing....Doesn't have to be someone else's specific tone, but a explanation of what you're hearing in your head that's not coming out of your amp. Heavy, clean, fat/jazzy/, echo-y, dirty? what are you going after that's not happening?
    We can't tell you if the gear is wrong without an idea of that.

That being said, if your Fender is working properly and your PRS is setup well and playing in tune, i'd say the gear is at least a good starting point towards many types of music.

cheers

12. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

This young lady doesn't seem to be having any problems with her Hot Rod Deluxe...

http://www.youtube.com/v/gHinv3vjShI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gHinv3vjShI&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

13. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

at one point I bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe..

brought it home...plugged it in....ugh, sounded bad to me.
    the distortion channel on it....ugh....not good IMHO.

I personally think that may be most of your problem.

even with a rat pedal it sounded bad.

my advice....try a different amp.

everyone says the blues jr. is the way to go...maybe try one of those.

14. francric

francric Member

:agree

15. Agitator

Agitator Member

Here's something I tried recently, based on a post @ TGP, and my rig sounds 10x better, IMO:

On the amp, set the treble and mids very high, and the bass very low.

On the guitar, roll the tone control back until it sounds good.

I was really, really skeptical about this advice when I first read it. I thought, "There's no way a Strat into a bright MusicMan amp will sound good this way" but it really does. Much better than it did with all the tone controls set around 5.

More info here: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=890943

You've got a different guitar and a different amp, but it doesn't cost anything to try and it might make a big difference. I felt like my sound went from "good" to "pro" by making this setup change. EDIT: And literally got complimented on my "tone" by another guitarist on the bill! It really happened, in real life and everything! :aok:aok

16. playthecray

playthecray Supporting Member

If the clean channel does not sound good on your HRD, then I woud consider having the amp serviced. Is your HRD stock? What type of speaker is installed?

17. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

It depends on what kind of tone you are looking for. I have a HRD White Lightning Limited Edition that came with a Celestion G12 Vintage speaker with Neodynium magnet.

I found my HRD to have a flabby bass so I changed the V-1 and V-2 to 12 AT7's for less gain. That tightened up the bass quite well. I have a Turbo Tube Screamer and the amps 3 channels that gives me a variety of great tones from glassy clean to bluesy and beyond. I would say before you go out and buy something new make some inexpensive changes like the pre-amp tubes.

I love the speaker my amp came with and it does sound different than a standard HRD. We had two side by side in my studio and although they both sounded good mine had the edge over the other. The G12 is a very light speaker because the Neo magnet is so much smaller than a conventional one. I see them on eBay for around $165 and if you were to go that route you could in turn sell your original for around $60 putting you at a $105 total.

All in all you can seriously change the tone for $25 worth of pre-amp tubes, $60 worth of power amp tubes (if yours are shot) and a speaker for around $105 after selling yours. I have a friend who like me has more than one amp and he was blown away by what mine sounds like now. Among them a Mesa/Boogie Mark III half stack, Marshall 6101 30th Anniversary, GT Solo 75, Mesa Lonestar Special and an original 68 Fender Deluxe.

18. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

She can play...wow.

ripoffriffs...how do you know it's a hot rod deluxe?

19. distorted noise

distorted noise Member

20. WrapAround

WrapAround Member

No matter what I hear on the net, I think HRD is a pretty cool amp. If anything, just have it properly biased. The rest is all about spending time with the amp to get the most out of it. And practicing to be a better guitar player always helps, too. :)