OK I am a loser and need to change

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Aug 14, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I will probably buy the weber bias rite, but I have no clue how to bias an amp and need to learn. Not sur ehow to do it? hook the bias rite in between the tube socket and tube and then adjust trim pot until I see the 32 mA(for bogner xtc).

I need a complete how to including how to safely discharge caciters so I dont kill myself. I have read some manuals on how to do it but dont feel comfortable doing it. I would pay some one in the downers grove IL area to teachme. any advie on good videos books

2. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Is the trim pot external? If not, I doubt this is what you want to hear, but, if you aren't comfortable dealing with the internals of an amp, have someone who is do it, and hopefully show you what you need to know.

*Especially* on a higher power amp. The larger filter caps in high power amps hold MORE charge and take longer to discharge than the smaller filter caps typically seen in lower power amps. They can all zap you, but those big ones can really hurt you, and potentially KILL you! (that's not to say it's ok to go roaming willy nilly through low power amps either!)

Good luck!

3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

buying a weber bias rite wont do it, here are some videos, you might check with the tube companies on biasing your amp, they probably know what you need to do or can find out

you did not say what model amp you own.

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-video.htm

4. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I own Bogner xtc 101b, Soldano SLO100, Reeves custom 6, DR Z Z28

5. Flux

Flux Member

Biasing an amp is easy, but if you've got reservations about trying your hand at it, then your best bet is to take one (or more) of your amps to a local tech and ask him to show you how to do it - specifically with your equipment. The guy will walk you through the process and you can ask questions as you go.

6. go7

go7 Member

Years ago I bought an Alexandro bias meter. I am electrically challenged. Great simple and safe directions. Even I can bias my Rivera Quiana which entails dropping the chassis etc. I`m very glad I took the time to learn this little bit of amp hands on. It has easily paid for itself many times over. Plus I can adjust bias to tone. As above have someone show you the first time if you`re nervous [like me]. Good luck!