OK,I may just want these! (KT-66 content) help needed though

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mooncusser, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

OK,

I did some reading up on KT-66's.:AOK
    As described from the metroamp site from George himself:
    "KT66: The British equivalent of the 6L6 design. The difference being they eliminated the mid 'kink', that slightly midscooped quality that gives the 6L6 its sweet and round character. KT stands for Kinkless Triode. What the KT66 gives you in return is a more pronounced and wider midrange and more clean headroom. The KT66 is capable of producing a midrange crunch which is similar to an EL34, yet it's considered a more versatile and musical tube. It's the perfect tube if you're looking for a hybrid British/American sound, i.e. the middy grind associated with British amps (Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt, Orange, etc.) coupled with the clean glassiness of American amps (Fender, early Mesa Boogies, etc.). The best KT66 ever is the GEC (Genelex). These go for hundreds of dollars on eBay. Best current-production, according to many, is the GT-KT66HP (Russian-made KT66 designed exclusively for Groove Tubes). Sounds great with pedals"

Does this sound about right to you guys?
    Now, if I want to have these installed in my marshall 1959 SLP, what am I to expect as far as alterations to be made if any, besides bias adjustment? Just for a note: My Marshall 1959 SLP currently has 6L6GC's installed.
    I HIGHLY appreciate your help.
    Take care,
    Mass

2. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

i thought about putting KT66's in my plexi too, i was going to go with Shuguang/Valve Arts KT66. the EL-34's sound good in the Superbass so im leaving them til its time for a tube change.

3. Dave C

Dave C Gold Supporting Member

If your amp is currently using 6L6GC's , KT66's should be a drop in replacement with no more than a bias adjustment.
    Dave C

4. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Really?
    That is almost to good to hear, and wonderful news!
    Now, I just have to do some homework and find some clips of something with some KT-66's in them to possibly hear the dynamics for myself.
    What is the "best bang for your buck" KT-66 on the market today without breaking the bank?
    I appreciate your help.
    Brandon, maybe we will be trying this one out at the same time:BEER
    Take care,
    Mass

5. da-boogieman

da-boogieman Member

Hey Mass,

George has a tube shootout on his site so you can hear the various types compared and contrasted. It might be in the JTM45 section? Everyone really liked the KT66s (chinese I think). I run the Valve Art KT66 and have no desire to look anywhere else at this point...totally happy with the tone.

6. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Are they so similar that it is a bit hard to tell the difference?
    I have a new quad of SED ~Winged~C 6L6GC's comming, and if the difference is that subtle, I should just stick with the new set on the way, no?
    Thanks and peace,
    Mass

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I have a dim understanding of electronics, but (as OTM alluded above) the KT66s draw more heater current out of your transformer than 6L6s. Somebody technical, please check me.

GT's KT-66 HPs are reportedly out of production, though some online dealers still have some left in stock. Consistently good words for the Shuguang / Valve Arts Chinese KT66, which is still being produced.

8. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

If they draw more heater current, then what is the result?
    I'm just trying to figure out the diffrence in sound and dynamics as they compare to 6L6GC's.
    I tried the shootout on Georges site, but they wouldn't link.

by the way, some distributors. still have some in stock:
    Anitique Electronic Supply, and some have them as unlabled.
    Thanks, Mass

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks...you've all been helpful as always!
    Take care,
    Mass

10. trdlasvegas

trdlasvegas Member

I agree with all that EXCEPT the sound. When I push a KT66 into clip on the bench I see it start to distort or round off the peak of the wave BEFORE it actually starts into a hard clip. With a 6L6GC it seems to stay perfect right up to the point where it clips.

When I listened to the KT66 vs a 6L6GC in the same amp, I heard exactly what I was seeing on the scope. The KT66 seemed to breakup sooner with a smoother distortion than the 6L6GC. Kinda of perfect for a blues guy.

-Tony

11. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

:BluesBros

perfect example of KT66's in action(on low volume):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WtxZjn2rqys

12. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Very nice, man.
    How do you know those are KT-66's?
    Peace,
    Mass

13. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

you can tell, that low E growl is the KT66's. plus over at Plexi Palace they said they were.:D

14. 5150loveeddie

5150loveeddie Member

For new production KT66 go with some Golden Dragon (China) BUT they must be the 11th generation, not earlier then that....You should go with Terry Kilgore aka tubetramp for all your tubes, he knows that stuff more then anyone and very good on prices....

KT66 are much more musical/organic/colorfull then 6L6...

Know if your amp was made for el34 you should swap the OT with a KT66 OT, if not it will work but you won't get all the good vibes of the kt66 tube.......

15. Mullard Man

Mullard Man Member

Mike at KCA gets my nod along with Doug at Doug's Tubes. Nothing against TT but he really needs to learn the word: paragraph.