Ok I need some new books to read.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by StratTone, Dec 16, 2009.

1. StratTone

StratTone Member

So for I have read:

The Tube Amp Book
    Hip Vintage Tube Amps
    The Tube amp Esintials

What is next for me?

2. WaltC

WaltC Member

check out www.tubesandmore.com and click on books/Guitar Amps

I'm fond of Dave Funk's book (I like Fenders), Tony Zottola's good, as is Jack Darr's book. Kevin O'Connor's books (a metric ton of them) can be a little daunting, but full of interesting info, and of course Aspen Pitman's book (some schematics in there that I've not found anywhere else). Lots of others along w/ plenty w/ accompanying DVDs.

3. tim boehlert

tim boehlert Member

Dan Torres has a book out... and I've got the others mentioned above including O'Connors. Also the Radiotron Book Set is a good read. And don't forget Dave Hunters' book(s) on Amps and other related topics and the rest of Gerald Weber's output too. Lots of books and videos available out there!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  4. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Dave Hunter's "The Guitar Amp Handbook". A favorite of many TGPers.

5. djroge1

djroge1 Member

Dave Funk's "Tube Amp Handbook"

Hunters' book is great too if you didn't list it - "The Guitar Amp Handbook"

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

"Valve Amplifiers", by Morgan Jones. Learn how amps actually work.

7. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

This is one of the only books worth reading. Jones other book is really good too. If you really get into things, the Radiotron Designers Handbook is a must, but it is INTENSE. RCA Receiving Tube Manual is also a must. But you already know that don't you Mark?

Avoid anything by OConnor, Weber or Pittman (if you are looking for accurate technical info).

Edit: I should have prefaced this post by impressing upon the OP that these are my personal choices looking for informational books regarding the technical aspects of guitar amplifier design. If you intend to find historical information etc, other books may address these better.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  8. StratTone

StratTone Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking I'll the the Dave Hunter book next. I actually like the Pittman books. I kind of like a blend of technical and practical if that makes sense. I want to find a writer who "knows" amps and "knows" tone.

9. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

Be aware than not everything he touts at "technical" is 100% accurate.

10. ben-horn

ben-horn Member

Merlin Blencowe Designing Tube Preamps for Guitar and Bass
    is a great Book-at least for me.
    You can read some of it on the Valvewizard site .
    http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  11. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

12. alschnier

alschnier Supporting Member

I recently picked up the morgan jones book, "valve amplifiers". while it's very comprehensive, it's a bit over my head at this point.

is there a good book you guys would recommend that can take me from where I am (building cables, fixing pedals, basic gtr wiring, etc) to understanding the topology or tube amps. diving into schematics & EE theory (jones book) seems like step #3 to me.

is there a good, accurate, "the foot bone's connected to the ankle bone" kind of book for guitar players who are technically inclined & not afraid of tools?

PS - I've also read pittman's book & watched the weber DVD. still feel like I need a better base of knowledge before taking on jones.

13. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

Dave Hunter's "The Guitar Amp Handbook" is a good example of this.

14. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

+1 on this.
    If you want the same idea but dumbed down a little Design and Construction fo Tube Guitar Amplifiers by Megantz (the hunter book goes through each stage of an amp, Megantz does the same thing but a little more technical, explaining things like calculating gain and total harmonic distortion)

It all depends on how technical you are. The average joe who has read the Weber books is probably NOT ready for the Radiotron designers handbook.

Jack Darrs book is a classic. My first amp book (stolen .. uh borrowed from my guitar teacher in 1985). Not limited to tubes, and basic trouble shooting.

Tino Zottollas books is good too but Darr is better (or get both lol). Tino has some great how-to books for building Champs, AC14s, Princeton Reverbs etc. I DO recommend them.

15. tim boehlert

tim boehlert Member

Al:

Drop me a line - I've got most of these books, and I live close to you so you could pop out and take a look through them before you make a decision if you wanted to.

-tb

16. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

too bad there isnt a book review section here.

I have found somethings I dont agree with in Aspens books but as for Kevin OConnor I dont see where he is going astray. He is opinionate sure, but anyone who has ever read anything in a forum learns to filter the bs pretty quickly. I like the TUT books (as expensive as they are) and would recommend the for advanced users.

That said, there is probably only 20-30 Tube Instrument Amp books currently available (ok.. maybe 50?) I have 17 and know of 3 I cannot afford/justify yet.
    That isnt including the audio amp books I have maybe half-dozen (The morgan jones books, mullard book etc etc).

I am not experienced enough to give a useful review without it being total bs. Any other takers? :)

17. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

btw.. what is the Riviera book anyway? never heard of it.

18. tim boehlert

tim boehlert Member

Sam:

Damn, I tried posting, and hit the BACK button and erased all of my post...

At any rate, I stand corrected - I was thinking Rivera when I was talking about Dan Torres's book. I've fixed my original post.

I agree that it would be nice to have a review section, but I think that because of the skill/understanding levels around here, you'd have wide ranging reviews based on personal experience and training. My experience is somewhat limited when it comes to building/modding anything here, BUT I do enjoy a good read and love the technical stuff, even if I don't exactly get it today, or maybe ever for that matter!

I've collected amp books since I first got my Pittman book years ago. I've always been intrigued by technical info, even if I didn't use the knowledge or have a specific goal in mind other than to collect this type of book. I own probably about as many as you do with the Pittman, Weber, Hunter, O'Connor, Torres, Zottola, Jones, Darr and Funk amongst maybe a few others PLUS the Raditotron, and some others... and agree that most of what I'd have to contribute would be based purely on my electrical tech background, and BS to most people with a far advanced knowledge and hands-on than me!

I'm sure that we also agree that everyone is opinionated when it comes to most of this stuff as well, that's what makes it great reading sometimes, and great flamer material at others - I think it' really hard to quantify a lot of this material anyway.

So, + 1 on your post regarding the review aspect of these tomes!

19. Trout

Trout Member

Best site on the web!

20. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Well... I have a web page. I have the books. I have enough knowledge to be dangerous. I know how to use spellcheck. I can give it a crack.
    All I need is some free time and a couple of pints of Guinness :drink