Ok, I think I'm an 1176 guy.

buzzp

I just tried using the Waves CA-76 plugin on a track and wow, it really brings out what I want in my guitar tracks.

Will I get the "same" effect if I grab one of the pedal board variants? Specifically looking at the Cali76 compact or Dry Bell unit 67.

adamdaniel

Gold Supporting Member
I have the MXR M76 Studio Compressor, which is 1176 based, and dig it, and I don't usually like compressor pedals. The Cali76 is obviously a bit of a classic in this dept.

Silent Sound

No. Not even close. There's no pedal that can even get into the same ballpark. The reasons are numerous, but one obvious reason is that the 1176 is applied after the amp, while a pedal is applied before. Also, a huge part of the 1176's sound is in the input and output transformers. Even in bypass mode, where the compressor isn't doing any compression, it still imparts a very distinct and pleasing sound signature. I could go on and on with more technical reasons and some subjective ones, but there's no point. Even the Waves CA-76 doesn't sound much like a real 1176 (of which there are many different versions, and even no two units of the same version will ever sound identical). But at least it stands a chance of reasonably passing off as one if no one is paying too close of attention. It's a good plugin, but plugins still haven't advanced to the point where they can replace hardware, at least as far a compressors go.

I know they sell pedals as 1176 flavored or 1176 inspired or whatever. But that's just marketing B.S. to prey on the uniformed. They might even be decent pedals in their own right. But they share nothing in common with a real 1176, other than the numbers 7 and 6.

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
It won't be the same as what you get with an 1176 rack, or in your case with a plugin. As mentioned above, you're applying it after the amp in a track. That doesn't mean that there aren't great 1176 type pedals out there. I know a few guys who have the Cali76 Compact Deluxe and they swear by it. It'll just be a bit of a different thing since it's happening before your amp. That doesn't mean it's not awesome, and you may find it gets you closer to what you are after in live shows, etc.

ebenezer

Gold Supporting Member
Selling gimmicks aside, the Unit 67 is the first compressor that I’ve ever liked. It’s also a really versatile with all the eq you can do. It’s my “always on” pedal. I love it on acoustics as well.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I think it depends on WHAT you want the compressor to do. The 1176Tx does have the output transformer that you can drive or just leave in circuit to color things a little. You're running it at 18v at that point, so, while it doesn't have the overhead that 30v swing (+/- 15v) the rack version runs, it'll be better than most pedals. Other issues: noise will be a bit higher with the pedal. Smaller components that may not be as well matched (arguable). Monolithic vs discrete op-amps (there's considerable argument in the pro audio community whether this is a disadvantage or not).

So, if you want well designed, clean and smooth compression, the pedal will work fine. If you want the rack unit? Probably better getting the Warm Audio version-it's actually cheaper, too! Or build your own and learn how it actually works!

buzzp

No. Not even close. There's no pedal that can even get into the same ballpark. The reasons are numerous, but one obvious reason is that the 1176 is applied after the amp, while a pedal is applied before. Also, a huge part of the 1176's sound is in the input and output transformers. Even in bypass mode, where the compressor isn't doing any compression, it still imparts a very distinct and pleasing sound signature. I could go on and on with more technical reasons and some subjective ones, but there's no point. Even the Waves CA-76 doesn't sound much like a real 1176 (of which there are many different versions, and even no two units of the same version will ever sound identical). But at least it stands a chance of reasonably passing off as one if no one is paying too close of attention. It's a good plugin, but plugins still haven't advanced to the point where they can replace hardware, at least as far a compressors go.

I know they sell pedals as 1176 flavored or 1176 inspired or whatever. But that's just marketing B.S. to prey on the uniformed. They might even be decent pedals in their own right. But they share nothing in common with a real 1176, other than the numbers 7 and 6.
I figured for the cost, the plugin wouldn't replace the real deal hardware. I'm not that oblivious haha

thomas4th

This is one thing I love about my HX Stomp - I can put a compressor after the amp and cab and it sounds fantastic. I use the LA Studio Comp (I think it’s based on the LA-2A) and more or less default settings.

Trending Topics