OK I'm gonna pick on the Pedal Elitists.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Big Bob, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Klon (for example)....a magical name. It strikes fear into the hearts of men. "IT" is the one to be compared to.:Devil

I've noticed that all Klon worshipers say pretty much the same thing...."Nothing else does what the Klon does". Ok fine. But maybe a SHO (or whatever) comes close. Could a situation arise where a SHO or whatever sits in the mix better? Could a SHO or whatever be the most appropriate pedal for a certain lick? In that situation couldn't you say, "Nothing else does what the SHO does"?

In fact couldn't you say that about any pedal?

Wouldn't it be more fair to say, "When it is at its most appropriate, nothing else does what a Klon does".......:)

I've never met a sound I didn't like and couldn't use somewhere. So IMO every pedal is the one to beat. Every pedal is the top of the heap for "what it does"......

BTW the Klon rocks......get one, nothing else does what it does.

Bob

2. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I was always under the impression Strats were first made in '54.

3. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I may be a pedal Elitist but my Klon never gets use. I don't see what the fuss is all about. It comes down to what the player wants, this isn't objective, for some the Klon is the perfect pedal, I prefer the BJFE LGW, the Zendrive, but most of all my cheap cheezy assed old Proco Rat still gets the most use.

BTW, the SHO isn't designed to do what the Klon does, it's an apples/oranges comparison.

4. rewog

rewog Member

You are probably right Bob...
    but don't forget that CJOD elitists make the same claims .... (your sig) :AOK

5. stevieray

stevieray Member

Just forget all this elitest crap and play! I came by a Klon that was a deal. I A/B'd it back and forth with an RC Booster using an Axess GRX4 and I can tell you that there's very little difference at all. The Klon has negligible mojo over the RC. In the end, the best part of owning a Klon is that soooo many feel like it's the holy grail. I may not have a holy grail amp or axe, but people drool over that pedal! There's no cheaper way to own the absolute best of something! Even if after owning it you don't feel like it's worth it, everybody else will.

6. b_rad

b_rad Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. I've never found the "best" of any particular pedal type, just the best pedals for certain applications.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I tried the Hotcake years ago as a poor man's Klon and have loved it and the subsequent bluesberry for years, but that isn't as relevant as my overall agreement with your main point. My Walco Chord & Note Sustainer is a horrible unit for general compression, but it's great for when I want it to make organ emulation sounds. I might even get a couple of Boss pedals in a bypass loop and leave them switched off just for when I want my "non-boutique buffered bypass" tone! Just kidding, but that would be the other extreme of the argument... The Walco is thankfully in a loop that thankfully includes the POG, because I have to adjust the input way down on the POG to make the volume levels even because the Walco has no controls and makes everything about 2-3 times louder (or noisier, I can never remember which!)...

I would still like to try a Klon at some point, but I would imagine the difference to be miniscule in the hands of a player with great taste and feel... (not saying that anybody is compensating for a lack thereof with expensive gear because I myself love getting great tone and using great gear, which I think inspires playing, kind of like a more advanced form of upgrading from a solid state amp to a tube amp)... "Quality" remains subjective, as the word itself is actually used incorrectly most of the time. It really has only a descriptive relationship regarding the qualities of whatever is in question; Qualities are in fact descriptions not direct objective comparisons as they are often made out to be. "Quality Guaranteed" on a label of any product is linguistically silly/inept, as it only promises that the product has some modicum of "quality" (good? bad? red? heavy? smells good? same weight as two grapefruits? could be anything). "Good" quality only means that some of a product's qualities are deemed "good" and is absurd as an objective judgement, but we use it in a very abstract way that lets our myriad judgements about products be summed up in a simplistic "quality" judgement that creates our sense of "good" and "bad," which are not the same as "usable" or "unusable," especially when the applications of any product are vast...

8. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

Klons are good; they really are. I won't likely part with mine because there are some occasions where it is the perfect overdrive/boost. But there's something about an overdrive pedal that "sounds best run into an overdriven amp." Err...come again? That's like installing a piezo in an acoustic. Don't get me started on that buffer either, ha. Speaking for myself, a Klon is damn good...it just isn't worth building an entire rig around and amp preferences to accomodate. I can't think of any pedal unit that is. I like running spanky clean, and I don't like having to fiddle with every pedal after it in the chain to get my tone back. That's just me.

It seems like any pedal that takes many weeks to wait for is automatically deemed a holy grail. Eh, it's all good!

9. duende

duende Member

FYI... Judging by the amount of threads like this I've seen over the years... I'm compelled to think that there are WAY more posters out there with KLON envy then there are Klon worshipers. ;)

It's silly really... who cares which booster you use, as long as it works for you.

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Taken he also has a 53 strat AND a trainwreck PROTO in his sig it is probably a jokE!! :jo

Maybe this doesnt need explaining . A simple :jo will do.

11. burningyen

burningyen Gold Supporting Member

I once saw Andy Summers playing with his jazz trio. At one point he stepped on his Klon. It sounded terrible, all thin and buzzy with his Mesa rack set-up. He grimaced and quickly turned it back off and kept playing. There is no pedal that is perfect for all rigs, situations, etc.

Oh yeah, here's a pic (his trio at the time happened to be him + Dennis Chambers and Darryl Jones!):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think...of any ten given posters, probably one or two have the ears, a way with expression and words, and the originality to write well about a guitar, amp, or pedal. I think the other eight or nine then will pick up on the words used, because they themselves have been grasping for how to describe what they love about a pedal, and will make a connection with the original folks descriptions, and take them and use them as well. I mean, isn't that natural? You are learning a new language, you see a fire but haven't learned the word for it...so you point and go "MMMOPPPPHHH!! MMMMPHHH!!" gesturing til someone comes up and yells "FIIIIRE!!" at which point YOU start to yell "FIRE!!".

A little dramatic, but basically we invent new ways to describe things we want to put into words, and the original folk get a good one going and everyone then jumps on it, because it best describes what they wanted to say about it.

I think THAT is where the repetitious claims come from. When I was young, starting out, I had my own descriptions (I do NOT claim I originated them, but that I think I came up with the words, and others ALSO did and I saw it suddenly being used. I remember being amazed actually) of sounds, even scales (I thought I made up a scale...called it a "spanish scale" in my mind because it sounded "flamencoish"...I think it was actually just a minor scale with some anomolies).

Like I've read somewhere attributed to many different folks "talking about music is like dancing about architecture". Hearing a sound, music, is a direct experience there and then...that can even be recalled somewhat. Describing it is a whole other thing, where we have to take poetic license to get even near.

I used to use the word "crunch" because that's what is sounded like to me. I noticed at some point other folks doing that suddenly, again not because I did, but because it just "made sense".

So also come phrases that are "buzzwords". "Transparent" (which I can both understand, AND think is kinda weird since most amps are actually tone-generators working in tandem with the guitar, and "clean pedals" also...to make a sound that is a composite. Yet some Od's sound about the same whether you plug in a strat, Les Paul, Tele...etc. and some accentuate the "innate" qualities.)...

Same snake oil also with that "only one" thing....but I also understand it. Thing is, some folk here have played literally HUNDREDS of ODs, while others have played a few. Sometimes folks with huge experience mention it "I've played hundreds..." while folks with very little, narrow experience almost NEVER say "well...actually I only have played a TS-9, Jekyll & Hyde, and Bad Monkey, but I think this Klon is LIKE NO OTHER PEDAL".

How could they know? Another thing...how much time did they give to the other pedals? Some just fall into place, I just got a blues devil that I am madly in love with...but I also was (and still am after playing out with it) with my Zendrive and was with my Blues Pro. The Blues Pro sounded killer at home, and I touted it even here, but after trying it for a while in the band...it didn't cut through with that nice sound. The Zendrive did. For a while I thought the Blues Pro did, TIL I got the Zendrive and heard what good "cutting through" was. I still like the BP for home and recording use (where I can EQ, and mix volume it a little to get it to come forward) but not for the band I'm in now. And I have had "lots" (not hundreds, but probably about 15 or so) of OD's.

But I might find out tomorrow, if I take the BP out again and sit with it with the intention of cutting through (or seeing if I can get it closer to the Zendrive sound) maybe there is a better setting for it...I might find it, then I'd be all "there is NO pedal like the BP" right?

Heh...

13. basscracker

basscracker Guest

dude has three CJODs he can afford a proto type strat and a time machine to go back and tell Leo to make him one.

14. g.griffith

g.griffith Member

Yeah, I follow you on that StompBoxBlues, ha. The buzz words and phrases catch on, not their meaning(s). That's why we have "tremolos" on our guitars instead of properly named "vibrato." My strings won't stay in tune because they're "stretching;" not because the strings are settling in their wraps and other points. And, of course, we have the "most transparent overdrive ever" (Klon), even though it introduces a mid hump and colors the sound even when it's off. If that's good, then cool! But please; call it what is and don't spread the misuse of words and phrases, ha.

Err...what kind of thread did you start here Big Bob? hehe

15. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I'm not a pedal elitist, but I sometimes play one on this board. Seriously, why is it some can't be passionate about what they hear. Aside from those Professionals on this board, the rest of us are covering someone else's music and trying to cop their tones. so what ever it takes to get there is irrelevant to anyone but them selves, tho they may choose to share that information. You can pretty much tell when someone is BS as to gear or gear desires, with vague statements or absolutes. Best, Only or gotta haves belong at the county fair, otherwise share your info and dreams, but don't trash something in a definitive manner just because it didn't make you sound like___________. Oh, and I suffer through the search with these.:D

[​IMG]

16. bduguay

bduguay Member

WOW!
    Is that really the setting you use on your Klon? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to be able to use a setting like that on mine but I'm already battling another guitar player in the bad who runs through a Dr. Z Prescription turned up.
    BTW, for what I'm looking for in tone, I like my Klon just fine. My only problem is I like it equally for boosting solo's (gain off, tone at 12, volume to taste) as I do for it's distortion characteristics. I know, I know, just get another one....
    B.

17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

As an old fart who grew up with pedal prices during the sixties I go into sticker shock when I see some of the prices of boutique overdrives given how few parts are inside them.

Any suggestions regarding an inexpensive Klon clone?

stratzrus

18. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The reality is that like designer clothes, the prices of boutique pedals have little to do with the parts inside them.

19. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I've said it many times, here, the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive is what I replaced my Klon with. I was able to A/B them and get the same tone/boost at the setting I had settled on for years with the Klon. At other settings, maybe the SD won't do what the Klon does. But, at low OD settings (~9 o'clock), the SD can be set to sound just like the Klon.

20. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

This is a little unrelated to the topic, but I wouldn't sell your Vibrolux thinking that a Deluxe will not be as loud. I have both (silverfaces that have been blackfaced) and my Deluxe is every bit as loud as my Vibrolux. The Vibrolux might have a knats breath more clean headroom, but in all honesty the 6L6/6V6 issue or the extra 5 or 10 watts the Vibrolux might claim to put out has WAY less affect on the apparent headroom than the speakers I have in them at any given time. Something to consider.