ok... i'm out for 2 pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Entztrix, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

1) rangermaster clone
    2) tone bender clone

So many options and so much confusion

in thinkin

1 aNaLoGmAn
    2 fulltone

any info/opinions:cool:

2. Ned

Ned Member

i hear the /13 Dyna Ranger is a great and versatile rangemaster type treble booster with a 5 position tone knob

3. Entztrix

Entztrix Member

yeah i am taking that into consideration a lot. i've also considered theD*A*M tonebender....but can i spend more $ ?

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

I love mine. The Keeley Java Boost sounds good too but the Dyna-Ranger is more versatile and also sounds more aggressive/better to me... he uses the same kind of transistors as the Keeley and it's cheaper to boot.

http://www.dividedby13.com/accessories.html

5. brad235

brad235 Member

check out the throbak stone bender...the clips on his site sound great. brad

6. Wooley

Wooley Member

Funny you bring it up, I was playing with my Analogman Beano Boost tonight for the first time in months. Was using my SG, and it just rocked. I am now making space for it on my pedalboard, I can't imagine not having that sound available. I would add to this that since this Rangemaster clone has a switch for Treble boost, Mid boost and Low boost, it also sounds FANTASTIC with my Strat, which really surprised me, and I love it with my hollowbody too. There are a lot of others, and I am a guy who buys multiple pedals of the same effect, but I have no reason to buy any other Rangemaster than this one.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Honestly, I don't think anything beats the *D*A*M* MKII Professional for a ToneBender but the Cannibal Boy by Dirty Boy Pedals ( www.pedalgeek.com ) definately ties it. Best treble boosts I've owned and tried are the Germanium Boy by Dirty Boy and the Time Machine Boost by Legendary Tones/Keeley. The *D*A*M* MKII definately gets my vote for tonebender though... its amazing, especially with a NMV amp opened up.

-TJK

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

There are a whole bunch of Rangemaster Clones out there - too many to have tried them all - but my fav that I have tried is the Analogman Beano Boost with the 3-way switch.

9. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

THe Retroman BEANO boost is a great treble boost, can get ragged also. The MJM foxxy fuzz does well on the tone bender side.

10. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

If your looking for a Tone Bender MKII Professional clone be aware that the original unmodified circuit will turn the low notes to mud when using humbuckers or other high gain pickups. edited I believe Page had a modified Tone Bender MKII Professional that he used as an always on overdrive for Led Zeppelin I and II, How The West Was Won and The BBC Sessions. The Stone Bender MKII lets you get that early Page tone. The original circuit is still there if you want it with just a flip of the switch.

The DAM pedal looks to be an obviously quality product but from the clips it exhibits the low note mud of the original unmodified circuit. This is not a slag on DAM or any other maker it is just the nature of the unmodified circuit.

Please restrict solicitations to the Manufacturer's & Dealer's Emporium - thanks. --chiba

11. jpagey

jpagey Member

Keeley's Java Boost is 1rst rate, as is BYOC's prebuilt tri-booster. Fulltone's Soulbender is great. I never tried BYOC's tone bender, but their fuzz face sounds great, so I expect the tone bender would also sound great.

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

No matter what, this post could be seen in bad taste because you're another builder with a similar product. I have no issue with that.

However, both my *D*A*M* pedals have huge defined low-end and absolutely no mud unless the attack is set as high as it will go, and even in that case by taking a little gain out of my amp, I can get rid of it.

The 1966 especially as it has a modified mode for more gain, volume and bass, and it is a good tight chest thumping bass.

The MKII Professional exhibits more sag but never gets muddy, and I play a PRS with a Hot Fat Screaming pickup, which is quite high output.

Dave's soundclips in general aren't the best representation of his pedals IMO but I don't think any pedal should be judged by them, especially if thats the ONLY thing you have to go on.

-TJK

13. fractal

fractal Member

Do you have a soldering iron? Build Your Own Clone

...highly recommended... (especially the Triboost, which is a Rangemaster plus MUCH more)

14. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

TaronKeim,

My comments are not meant to be in bad taste. I'm glad you have no issue with that. I'm also glad the DAM is working for you and as I said it is obviously a high quality product. And I'm not making blanket statements ranking the pantheon of Tone Bender clones. But I am passing along what I have learned about this circuit.

I made the straight Tone Bender MKII professional clone for quite a while with no modifications but after seeing the How The How the West Was Won DVD it was clear to me that Page is not using the stock Sola Sound circuit in the Danish TV performance. This is why I developed the Stone Bender MKII Pro.

I have spent much time with this circuit and I feel quite confident that you will hear a difference in the low note clarity, (perhaps your def. of sag is my clarity?), between your unit and a Stone Bender MII Pro if you ever compare them.

I agree that sound clips are a tough way to accurately judge a pedal. But that is the best that any maker or dealer can do over the internet. That is why all of my clips use the same amp, guitars and mic with no added reverb... so you can make a real comparison between the pedals. That is also why I and most other makers give a trial period because you really have to try it with your gear to know that it works for you.

15. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

The retroman LOLA is also worthy of consideration>:AOK

16. modoc

modoc Guest

If you can find one...the Derrangemaster Trouble Booster is untouchable. I've pretty much tried em all...nothing came close.

Cheers!!

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

What makes it so special? Can't find any info on the 'net.

18. tennisdude

tennisdude Member

www.tonepad.com

you can build clones of both the rangemaster and tonebender there, probably for about 50 bucks each total in parts. if you solder, that is :D

John

19. modoc

modoc Guest

It's just the best sounding most 'gainy' of the mullard OC44 TB's. I was on a quest for the holy grail of Boosters to marry up with the AC30 TB...I tried the Keeley's, Analogmans, Fryers, Crispy Cream, BSM and a stack of other i cannot recall and the ol' Derrangemaster came out on top. It's a simple one pot jobby and just sounds A-Mazing :) The only place i found any info was on Harmony Central...and i actually lucked upon the pedal on E-bay...direct from the builder. You just have to hunt for it...but it's worth it!!

Cheers
    Jase