• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

OK is it me? (Spider V)

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
I find it CRAZY that there is no PC software for the Spider V.
I'd love to replace my Flextone (which I F'n LOVE). Even with it being as old as it is has an editor but no dirt pedals.
I don't use apple products (which I F'n HATE).
11 Rack editor
Flex editor
Mustang V editor
Spider V no editor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wake the frick up L6 or is it just that easy to edit without an editor.

Happy New year!

voss451

Digitech did the same thing with their iStomp pedals. You have to use either a smartphone or tablet in order to program it. More and more amps & effects that use editing software are (sadly) focusing on "app" based editors rather than traditional pc/mac editors.

In addition to that, from what I've heard, you can't use the editor and record at the same time either.

mattball826

Digitech iStomp series were in fact designed around the IOS system. So was the iPad required multieffects unit they released which crashed and burned imo. Line 6 Spider V Series are not Bluetooth designs, so this forcing users to have a mobile option is really stupid. Some don;t even want to use their phone and small screen to edit their SV's.

I just think it was easier for them to port a mobile app they already had vs creating a new one.

Again, another thread of hundreds around the guitar communities just in a month or so addressing the lack of PC editors for Spider V.

If the Spider V's had Bluetooth, then yeah it makes sense, but they don't. For now people are bitching they have to buy a tablet (for any workable screen size) and an OTG cable to use the mobile app. Others after purchasing tablets and OTG connectors are still finding the mobile app Meh and full of bugs (connects/disconnects).

I hope Line 6 is paying attention. I know several store mgrs that are fearing many returns of these. Many impulse purchases over the holidays so we'll see within 30-45 days how well the lack of Win Mac editors impact those returns.

You are correct in saying the competitor products DO have proper Win and Mac editors. I really enjoy the Spider V, but not having a Win/Mac editor is lame and from what I have heard will greatly impact sales and returns.

Boss- yes

BlackStar- yes

Fender- yes

Marshall Code -is bluetooth enabled, and mobile app by design but Yes there is a Win editor from a third party creator.

Vox VT line- Toneroom editors for Win Mac and iOS mobile devices (no android).

Last edited:

voss451

Marshall Code -is bluetooth enabled, and mobile app by design but Yes there is a Win editor from a third party creator.
I didn't know that Marshall hadn't 'officially' put out a Win editor for the CODE. All the demos I've seen of it, people edited it with a tablet but I thought that might have been just because it was easier to shoot. Once again, it's users to the rescue. Digitech went through the same thing with the GSP1101. They more or less stopped supporting it not all that long after it came out but a developer who left the company took up the mantle and continued to upgrade the firmware for several years after that. Those updates made the unit infinitely better and I'd bet it helped sell a ton of units that they wouldn't have if the MustBeBeta updates hadn't come out.

mattball826

I didn't know that Marshall hadn't 'officially' put out a Win editor for the CODE. All the demos I've seen of it, people edited it with a tablet but I thought that might have been just because it was easier to shoot. Once again, it's users to the rescue. Digitech went through the same thing with the GSP1101. They more or less stopped supporting it not all that long after it came out but a developer who left the company took up the mantle and continued to upgrade the firmware for several years after that. Those updates made the unit infinitely better and I'd bet it helped sell a ton of units that they wouldn't have if the MustBeBeta updates hadn't come out.
IIRC it was a few eng's that worked at DT that did that off the official status because it was all non official actions being implemented and DT would not guarantee these firmware changes. The unofficial status was fine with retailers. Retailers did not want to cover returns if a customer bricked a unit with Beta firmware. Things work so much different when you have many direct retailers to consider.

Did MBB word of mouth help those GSP sales? Yes and they still do. Have there been reports of bricking units? Yes there were some early on, and DT guys were able to solve them quickly enough and use that data to correct later revisions.

I also thought the idea of MBB was to use that feedback from users so to make those things inclusive for future products. DT then kind of moved away from higher side processors seeing the impacts of other private co's that flooded that market. Historically, the high side markets have not been the greatest for retailers where modeling processors are concerned.

voss451

IIRC it was a few eng's that worked at DT that did that off the official status because it was all non official actions being implemented and DT would not guarantee these firmware changes. The unofficial status was fine with retailers. Retailers did not want to cover returns if a customer bricked a unit with Beta firmware. Things work so much different when you have many direct retailers to consider.

Did MBB word of mouth help those GSP sales? Yes and they still do. Have there been reports of bricking units? Yes there were some early on, and DT guys were able to solve them quickly enough and use that data to correct later revisions.

I also thought the idea of MBB was to use that feedback from users so to make those things inclusive for future products. DT then kind of moved away from higher side processors seeing the impacts of other private co's that flooded that market. Historically, the high side markets have not been the greatest for retailers where modeling processors are concerned.
The weird part is that so far, given how successful the MBB upgrades turned out being, haven't used that to their advantage and even attempted at a successor to the 1101. If you look back through the 90's, they had over half a dozen different rackmount processors (if not more). The GSP1101 is probably close to (if not more than) 10 years old now and aside from the RP1000, the only mfx units they've produced are the Elements pedals that are nothing more than re-cycled RPs. I'm sure if they took the IR loading and updated the algorithms a bit, they could have a serious unit on their hands but with all of the 'single' pedals as of late, it seems like they might be stepping away from the modelling market.

KenG

Many younger folks are tablet and phone users primarily as PCs/MACs are not portable enough for them. I believe marketing is looking at the younger crowd for many of these products as their biggest market share, one they are inexpensive products compared to conventional amps which is more likely to be purchased by people with less disposable income (young folks), and they are modelling amps which many old tube snobs won't buy them anyway.

Jchrisf

Many younger folks are tablet and phone users primarily as PCs/MACs are not portable enough for them. I believe marketing is looking at the younger crowd for many of these products as their biggest market share, one they are inexpensive products compared to conventional amps which is more likely to be purchased by people with less disposable income (young folks), and they are modelling amps which many old tube snobs won't buy them anyway.
You're making me feel young :)

I have an iPad and don't have a problem with the Spider remote app. I love it and also the front of my Spider V for editing. I usually hate turning on my computer and try to do as much as possible through my iPad

Antmax

I have the V60 and really like it. The control panel looks simplistic as though it would be a paon to use. It ended up being very intuitive so L6 really did there homework. I only used the app a couple of times and found i didnt really need it. Requires a OST adapter for android..

I also have a code 50 and the V surpasses it in ease of use and so long as you know to use the PostEQ section of a preset to boost the low and mids the 10 inch sounds much better than expected.

Spider V has low latency ASIO usb drivers which Marshall Code does not. Spider V has full range speakers so great for backing tracks. Code does not.

The above means that the Spider has modeling software like biasfx and amplitube available to it if you want even more effects. It also works fantastic with rocksmith and yousician where backing tracks are controlled with master volume and you mix in your guitar with EQ volume.

Then you have cheap and amazing wireless for $100.

I am very happy with my spider V. After being made aware of Post EQ it sounds very good and does so much wirelessly low latency and with no clutter.

Out of the box i had mixed feelings. Loved wireless but sound was a bit flat but the deeper I looked the more versatile and better sounding it became. PostEQ is vital to get good tone and factory presets dont use it but have to much regular gain.

Last edited:

mattball826

Yes and No. There are many people railing on Line 6 for not having supported Win and Mac editors with this product.

I have seen several very negative posts regarding this issue even at the mfg forum. A few were removed as far as I can tell for profanity use. lol. Plenty of this in Youtube Reviews from official demos and retail hosted demos.

It's not really a marketing move imo, I think they were just lazy, already had a mobile app to port over on a unit that was not Bluetooth. Made no sense imo. The only common thing to that rig is custom tone options via mobile apps. Well, Blackstar and others have User Communities too and access is available via Win and Mac editors. I'm not sure the omission from Line 6 on these was a good idea. I would say far from it.

I bet a lot of these get returned for not having Win or Mac editors, so their target market is going to be a huge miss. I know this already since I have talked to several mgrs and owners of retail world. They are concerned about those amps being returned. Retailer websites do not explicitly identify there is only the option of iOS or Android. It states "connectivity for Win Mac iOS and Android", and for many consumers this will be a big issue me thinks. Sweetwater has not addressed the commentary fro users of their demo on their YT page since they released the product demo itself. Other retailer demos did indicate there was editor support for Win and Mac, then after those customers discovered there was not, shiii hit the fan on those comments. Line 6 official site does indicate in their Spider V Demo links "Mobile App" and does not indicate Win or Mac support. IMO they also should indicate in bold letters "Win and Mac not supported"

If Line 6 was only targeting a mobile demographic, they will alienate a pretty big group.

I can get by on the App or the editing screen. I'm not the typical user though as I have tons of experience with modelers of all kinds, these amps and apps, and how to connect them for use. Even at that I had to order an extra cable to get an Android tablet to work. None of that is in any FAQ's or officially documented. Most people that discover they need additional tablets, cables, etc if they want a screen bigger than a phone will probably return the amps and buy other brands that DO support Win and Mac in glorious Wide Screen mega iconic views. lol

Line 6 brushing this off is not a good idea imo. I have had many people already say WTF the day after my initial review. Even when I informed them of the workaround it was "I'll just buy something else"

When I took the 240 to the OJ, several potential buyers asked "so I need an Ipad too?" I said yeah or an Android tablet and OTG connector. They said really, no laptop and USB cable? and their final reply was "screw it then." but in other terms.

Last edited:

mattball826

I have the V60 and really like it. The control panel looks simplistic as though it would be a paon to use. It ended up being very intuitive so L6 really did there homework. I only used the app a couple of times and found i didnt really need it. Requires a OST adapter for android..

I also have a code 50 and the V surpasses it in ease of use and so long as you know to use the PostEQ section of a preset to boost the low and mids the 10 inch sounds much better than expected.

Spider V has low latency ASIO usb drivers which Marshall Code does not. Spider V has full range speakers so great for backing tracks. Code does not.

The above means that the Spider has modeling software like biasfx and amplitube available to it if you want even more effects. It also works fantastic with rocksmith and yousician where backing tracks are controlled with master volume and you mix in your guitar with EQ volume.

Then you have cheap and amazing wireless for $100.

I am very happy with my spider V. After being made aware of Post EQ it sounds very good and does so much wirelessly low latency and with no clutter.

Out of the box i had mixed feelings. Loved wireless but sound was a bit flat but the deeper I looked the more versatile and better sounding it became. PostEQ is vital to get good tone and factory presets dont use it but have to much regular gain.
That's pretty much been it for me.

Post EQ active after the amp for the best tonal shaping. Cut the gain of the model, but boost the model volume. Play around with cab types to see what you prefer.

jageya

Yes and No. There are many people railing on Line 6 for not having supported Win and Mac editors with this product.

I have seen several very negative posts regarding this issue even at the mfg forum. A few were removed as far as I can tell for profanity use. lol. Plenty of this in Youtube Reviews from official demos and retail hosted demos.

It's not really a marketing move imo, I think they were just lazy, already had a mobile app to port over on a unit that was not Bluetooth. Made no sense imo. The only common thing to that rig is custom tone options via mobile apps. Well, Blackstar and others have User Communities too and access is available via Win and Mac editors. I'm not sure the omission from Line 6 on these was a good idea. I would say far from it.

I bet a lot of these get returned for not having Win or Mac editors, so their target market is going to be a huge miss. I know this already since I have talked to several mgrs and owners of retail world. They are concerned about those amps being returned. Retailer websites do not explicitly identify there is only the option of iOS or Android. It states "connectivity for Win Mac iOS and Android", and for many consumers this will be a big issue me thinks. Sweetwater has not addressed the commentary fro users of their demo on their YT page since they released the product demo itself. Other retailer demos did indicate there was editor support for Win and Mac, then after those customers discovered there was not, shiii hit the fan on those comments. Line 6 official site does indicate in their Spider V Demo links "Mobile App" and does not indicate Win or Mac support. IMO they also should indicate in bold letters "Win and Mac not supported"

If Line 6 was only targeting a mobile demographic, they will alienate a pretty big group.

I can get by on the App or the editing screen. I'm not the typical user though as I have tons of experience with modelers of all kinds, these amps and apps, and how to connect them for use. Even at that I had to order an extra cable to get an Android tablet to work. None of that is in any FAQ's or officially documented. Most people that discover they need additional tablets, cables, etc if they want a screen bigger than a phone will probably return the amps and buy other brands that DO support Win and Mac in glorious Wide Screen mega iconic views. lol

Line 6 brushing this off is not a good idea imo. I have had many people already say WTF the day after my initial review. Even when I informed them of the workaround it was "I'll just buy something else"

When I took the 240 to the OJ, several potential buyers asked "so I need an Ipad too?" I said yeah or an Android tablet and OTG connector. They said really, no laptop and USB cable? and their final reply was "screw it then." but in other terms.
i am one of those people i guess.old school who prefer to hook my laptop to a unit with so many deep edits/tweaks....dont want to invest in an ipad

Last edited:

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
I have an OTG for my Android but I don't see software for an Android?

I think I just found it..................OK this changes everything. (PC would be better)

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom