Ok!! It's time to show your "Vintage" Gretsch guitars

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by rockinrobby, Nov 27, 2017.

1. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Very cool!! what was the name of your Beatle cover band ?

2. Pete Cage

Pete Cage Member

Thanks. That was with The Beatwater Tribute. Great band; I miss playing with them.

[​IMG]

3. rockinrobby

Too cool!! I see a vintage AC30 in the backline, you guys look super pro!! Fantastic!!

4. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Supporting Member

5. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Supporting Member

6. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

Just to annoy all of you, I will post a Gretsch-branded steel built by Kay and a Hager's-branded acoustic steel built by Gretsch:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Here's mine...'60 Jet Firebird (when it was at Old School Guitar Repair getting a little TLC)

[​IMG]

e???, erksin, sdan and 3 others like this.
  8. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

I just joined the Gretsch club for the first time about a week ago, so here is my contribution to the thread.

1965 6120 Nashville

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. vintagejunky

vintagejunky Member

1959 Gretsch 6120.
    Man, about a month ago I was contacted by some flake who wanted to buy it. Strange, enough, I had contemplated selling it. He then proceeded to waste my time for 2 weeks, sending mucho pics, checking on shipping charges for him, etc... Sounded like he was serious and then turned around and said I found one I liked better.
    But after all that, I realized I would have made a big mistake letting it go. '59's are hard to come by and most are over $9,000 ( I offered it to him for less than that) and this one plays so nice and sounds amazing, I know I would have regretted it.
    So, in a way, I guess I should be thanking him for being a flake.
    Anyway, here's a pic and it's 'NOT FOR SALE'.:)[​IMG]

10. vintagejunky

vintagejunky Member

Hey rockinrobby, I love both your Gretsch!! I am curious about the color of the 6120. The sides almost look redish brown instead of Gretsch orange. Is that just the photo or are they really that much of a difference? Was it refinished? You have a pic of the back?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  11. sdan

sdan Member

Can you please give some information about that Reverb-Tremolo unit?

12. rockinrobby

The photo shows it kinda wonky.. I’ll send ya better photo’s tomorrow sides and back.. Not a refin 100% original 1958 is the best year!!! 6120 P.A.F.’s Trussell braised, no zero fret. Brian Setzer’s year of choice W/ Bitchen CoyBoy Case.. perfect neck set just a killer killer Gretsch tone machine!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  13. Eugene

Eugene Supporting Member

Ha! Not mine....that beauty belongs to Curt Wilson, the fine gentleman who runs Old School Guitar. From what I understand, it's a pretty desirable unit but perhaps someone can chime in and provide specific details...

14. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

It is a Billy Zoom Kahuna Reverb Trem unit. Very coo!l

15. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

So much win in this thread. I love my Gretches but sadly they are just new Electromatics (albeit with TV Jones). I can't justify the expense of something vintage to sit in my house and not get played. I'll leave that to you guys!

Jayyj likes this.
  16. Jayyj

Jayyj Member

I find on my fairly small income the only way I can justify the expense of owning vintage guitars is by playing them every second I can!

crambone likes this.
  17. Dingusbox

Dingusbox Supporting Member

So one day at work I get a call from my Dad and he says one of his friends had a few guitars to dump. The guy never played but won the lottery back in the ‘70’s or 80’s and went on a spending spree for everything. Nice house, cars, lavish life. I go to their house and the lady pulls this out along with some some cheesey ‘70’s epiphones. I buy it all for a fair price and get this ‘59 double anniversary set up to play. I ended up playing it for about 10 months and then decided to put it on evilbay with a buy now. POOF! Immediately sold and money in hand I ship to some guy in California. I have been emailing that guy for 12+ years asking to buy it back. Not one response. I think it went to Japan and will never be seen by me again. I’d pay top dollar and then some to get it back. If there was ever one that got away from me it was this one. Through a ‘64 Princeton Reverb it was all you need.
    Eventually I found a mint one and paid retail for it. Doesn’t even come close to how magical the one in the pic was. There is nothing like a really good Gretsch. There are duds out there, but the good ones are as nice if not better than any guitar.

Bought the 6120 off the guys at G-Guitars.....I gave them all my money back in the day. This one was incredible. Smelled something awful with nicotine though. Came with a massive Gretsch twin amp that I sold here several years ago.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  18. rockinrobby

Guitar is perfect an excellent example of the 58 6120 w/ smooth pickup surrounds PAF's.
    Exceptional ++ condition ..

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Crazyquilt and JeffHaddad like this.