Ok Les Paul players, inform me on wiring updates.

Teleman

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a 2008 LP standard that has a set of Burstbuckers in it with the stock circuit board volume/tone pot setup.
Would I benefit to change that out to 50’s style wiring with orange drops ?
If so why and would the results be.
Thanks in advance.

There is no difference between Les Paul and SG wiring. You want 50's wiring, but I will not explain it to you. The kind of Caps don't matter, only the value. .022 is common for a Les Paul.

ProfRhino

tone caps do make a minor difference, I would recommend PIOs though (paper in oil), not necessarily orange drops. :dunno

50s wiring - check ! :aok

your LP most likely has A5 Burstbucker Pros, which are not really happy with the stock wiring / 300k pots.
bridge too bright, neck too dark. :(
substituting a 250k volume for the bridge, and 500k for the neck (get quality, CTS built pots with "vintage taper", sold by various brands) will make the BB Pros a lot more usable, kinda similar to Duncan 59s.
500k tone pots for both.
I still prefer A2 PAF types, but this is the best you will get with your existing PUs, ime.

ymmv,
Rhino

Rocco Crocco

Silver Supporting Member
Get 50's wiring if you want more treble present as you roll down the guitar's volume. Some people like 50s wiring but I like modern wiring better. It's a preference.

I doubt if anyone can hear a difference in changed caps unless the values are changed.

budg

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the 50s as I like to keep the highs as I roll off the volume knob. Pay attention to potentiometer values and taper as well as the value of the capacitor. Type of capacitor wont matter, but the value will. Like has been said, .022 is common with LPs.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
It will be better on every measurable quality: less noisy, clearer, better pot taper, more articulation etc

I have 5 Les Pauls ranging from 1978 to 2020. I upgraded all of them with Bourns or Emerson pots, 50s wiring and orange drops. It was a massive improvement in all of them.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a 2008 LP standard that has a set of Burstbuckers in it with the stock circuit board volume/tone pot setup.
Would I benefit to change that out to 50’s style wiring with orange drops ?
If so why and would the results be.
Thanks in advance.
I had an 05 Standard, great guit that I sold for other gear-related reasons. I will reiterate the question already asked by another here: what's your goal in modding?

A Gibson, a Fender, anything that isn't actually crap genuinely is fine exactly as is. Unless you don't like that something, then change that something. There is nothing wrong, nor deficient in any way, nothing at all, zero improvements to be gained by modding your LP. Did you get that? Nothing! Any changes you make will be changes. Whether that improves or detracts is up to the beholder and his personal wants. Period. So ...what do you hear that you think needs modding?

Edward

Teleman

Silver Supporting Member
I had an 05 Standard, great guit that I sold for other gear-related reasons. I will reiterate the question already asked by another here: what's your goal in modding?

A Gibson, a Fender, anything that isn't actually crap genuinely is fine exactly as is. Unless you don't like that something, then change that something. There is nothing wrong, nor deficient in any way, nothing at all, zero improvements to be gained by modding your LP. Did you get that? Nothing! Any changes you make will be changes. Whether that improves or detracts is up to the beholder and his personal wants. Period. So ...what do you hear that you think needs modding?

Edward
This was more of an inquiry than anything else. I’ve read where players have made the change to 50’s wiring and was curious as to the before and after tone of the LP.

edward

Silver Supporting Member
50s wiring is a great experiment because it costs you nothing, is uber easy (you move literally one wire from one lug to another), and completely reversible.

Read up on the varying opinions and then try it. You will like it or not because everyone has their own tonal needs, not to mention the interplay of one's amp to that guitar's pickups has much impact on what you end up hearing with 50s vs. modern wiring.

You'll read on it, but I'll give you my quick summation: You retain highs when you roll back the volume knob, but this "costs" you as it changes how the tone knob responds. If one rarely/never dials back the guit's tone knob, then this is a win. If one uses the tone knob often, then modern wiring often suits better.

Again, lots depends on a guitar's pickups/amp combo! So on one of my LPs, I have wired 50s style. But on another LP, I ended up liking the neck pup 50s, but the bridge pup modern as I preferred the treble rolloff as I rolled down the volume on that guitar. And on a semihollow, I have wired it 50s and wish I could change it back to modern! I won't because on a semihollow it's a royal pain to get to the pots so I'll just live with it. So there you go. My experience as mere food for thought. Everyone's experience differs; choose accordingly. :D

Edward

Trending Topics

Top Bottom