Ok, let’s talk Clavinets

Discussion in 'Keyboards and Synthesizers' started by Pellecaster, May 12, 2020.

1. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

eclecto-acoustic likes this.
  2. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

When I think funk, I think clavinet.

Pellecaster likes this.
  3. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

I had a clav back from about 1996 until about 2008. At the time, I had to sell it for rent or some crap like that. I miss it. It is one of my all time favorites. I am definitely considering getting one again, though they are a lot more expensive these days. To think I bought mine for $500 back then... I never should have sold it. :facepalm

I suspect I will be seriously considering the Vintage Vibe Vibanet, but I am not ready to make that decision this year. I just acquired a Jupiter X, which covers most of my instrument funds for the year.

sergiodeblanc and Pellecaster like this.
  4. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I’ve never played a real one. Would love to give it a go. Every time I play synth emulation it never sounds right to me.

Chimuelo and Pellecaster like this.
  5. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

I have heard some great digital simulations of the tones a clavinet makes, but the feel of that instrument is what makes it magic. Plus, each one I have played had it's own nuances and quirks that made them interesting. If all you need is the sound, you can probably get it digitally. It is not unlike any digital vs. mechanical debate really. I have a Rhodes, and while there are some amazing digital Rhodes pianos out there, there is a feel and quirkiness to a real one that I really dig. Especially after I get it all tuned up, which is likely part of the problem with a real one. They require maintenance...

Even my 15 year old daughter seems to prefer the Rhodes to that "electric piano button" (her words, not mine) on her Yamaha P-125. I think the Yamaha sounds good (passable at the very least), but she has spent a lot more time on the Rhodes lately.

Pellecaster likes this.
  6. Chimuelo

Chimuelo Member

I’ve played the real clunkers, but have more fun with ZebraHZ and PTeq layered.

On PTeq I can edit every note, so I mute the lowest 2 octaves slightly and leave the upper registers fully open.
    But this sounds thin Live so layering this with ZebraHZ is what makes me want jam for hours.

Zebra is unique as you can take each oscillator and run volume curves up and down its entire range. So mixing 4 oscillators with different filters, and volume tweaks on top of the authentic sound from PTeq gets me a sound that’s bigger than the D6. With an expression pedal adding mutes, and my KC & The Sunshine Band whammy bar on the PBend wheel.

‘I’ve actually got a reputation for doing Clav parts with my left, while doing brass with my right.
    Very Superstitious got me a few gigs before.

love me Clav parts...

Pellecaster likes this.
  7. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

Can't forget Bobby Sparks

Clavinets are one instrument that most workstations and samplers do poorly at for some reason. I have a GSI Gemini on the way, and that has a 100% physically modeled clavinet. I'm excited to play with it.

sergiodeblanc and Pellecaster like this.
  8. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Phenomenal :aok

9. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

It almost looks like a bigsby bridge....

10. taoski

taoski Member

That Bobby Sparks vid is eye opening. I had no idea clavs could do that, so cool! Almost sounded like a strat with a cry baby.

pcs9527 and Pellecaster like this.
  11. Babysquid

Babysquid Member

I find this to be the case with almost all of the electro-mechanical keys I own or have played. A clav has a very different feel to a Rhodes or Hammond or Mellotron and each require adjustments in technique to get the best out of them. Because of this certain instruments feel more comfortable playing certain styles of music, this of course is something that doesn’t come across in emulations. A clavinet isn’t used in funk just because it sounds funky, the whole instrument feels funky!

GravityWell, Pellecaster and pcs9527 like this.
  12. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

Exactly!

Pellecaster likes this.
  13. Stokely

Stokely Member

Bobby Sparks from the vid above looks like the same guy from the Snarky Puppy tiny desk concert (highly recommended). Love that whammy bar clavinet!

John Medeski from Medeski Martin and Wood is the most impressive guy I've ever seen in person. If you like vintage keyboards, you like his rig!

corbs, Pellecaster and pcs9527 like this.
  14. pcs9527

pcs9527 Member

Yep, the video above was from a Snarky show. :) "Chonks," off their newest album, has a solo on that clavinet as well at the end. Bobby did a quartet gig here last year and the wammy clavinet made a few appearances.

15. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

Same! I miss mine dearly, but I couldn’t pass up the pile of change some guy in Australia was willing to pay for it.

And the Vibanet.... oh yes, just all kinds of yes.

I recently bought a Korg Kross 2 and it was mostly because of the clavinet sounds. They have at least 20 something versions on there, and have all the pickup selections covered ( ie: A+B, A+C, and so on, and so on), the damper function, and occasional hammer stick sounds... and it has a crappy short-throw Keybed on it too, so it’s still a facsimile, but better than all the other hardware boards (For me/IMO).

Pellecaster and GravityWell like this.
  16. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

They always make the presets too big sounding, and try to hide their bare bones samples behind auto-wah.

A real clavinet can have a real narrow bandwidth filled with clucky mids and hum and buzz. Most times I wonder if the dudes who program these things have ever played a real one.

Babysquid and Pellecaster like this.
  17. GravityWell

GravityWell Member

A friend of mine has the Spectrasonics Keyscape collection. It sounds fantastic, and the clavs are super. I would do something like that, but in my middle age I am trying to spend less time in front of the computer and more of it in front of instruments, especially given that the day job requires I spend all day in front of the computer already. Thus I have been steering away from software and plugins. I am even looking for a hardware DAW/sequencer to further abstract the computer. I realize that they are just computers that are more limited, but limitations breed creativity, and I am simple enough (or my needs are) to be fooled by the difference.

I was seriously considering an old analog 8 track machine like I used to use in my youth, but I am not sure I really want all the maintenance that goes along with it. I am currently imagining life with something like the MPC Live, but I am nowhere near close to any sort of actual descision. I think I like the research and planning part more than the actual stuff sometimes...

Pellecaster likes this.
  18. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

I have a buddy (pro keys player) who is hooked on vintage clavs and currently has something like 8 of them. He has it bad, and people know it, too. A few years back I did a sound gig on NYE about an hour and a half from home. One of the other guys turned out to be a vintage keyboard broker and was telling me how just knowing the right people gets things sold, at one point saying, "... and if I get a clav, I call this guy <my buddy's very unique name> down the shore. He'll say no, then call me a week later with cash."

Pellecaster and sergiodeblanc like this.
  19. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

God... and where is Berhinger or Rondo or someone on making a Clavinet that isn’t $3500 or more?

I mean, if you’ve ever opened one up, the whole thing aside from the teak bits and tolex is cheap AF. The “harp” or whatever you wanna call it where the strings hit the “frets” is just one piece of rolled and stamped steel.

Pellecaster likes this.