Ok, let's try this. Please power my board.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by chrisross, Feb 13, 2012.

1. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I deleted all my other threads concerning my PT-mini; let's start from scratch.

This is my mini. The 2 grey pedals are 9v drives (a Timmy, and I haven't decided on the other one yet).

[​IMG]

So, I have 5 9v pedals and 1 12v pedal.

How would you power this?

I've thought about the 1spot route. For that I would get the 8 daisy chain and cut off the last two (this is safe to do, I've done it numerous times) and use a Gigrig SupaNova adapter to get 12 volts to the Nova. I know the Nova can run on 9, but it works best at 12, so it gets 12.

I've thought about doing a power strip. Then I would use the 1spot and a 5 daisy chain to power the 9 volt pedals and use the Nova's wall wart to power it.

I've thought about using a PSU. I'd really like to be able to do this, as I know this is the best way. But, I'm not about to go digging into my mini with a Dremel, either. If anyone has done mods for an ISO-5 on a mini (or any other PSU that meets my needs) and can show photos of their work, I'd love to do business with you. If only Brim still did PT mods...:cry:

One other route: I remember seeing some new Voodoo Labs unit. It's white, and more like a rechargeable battery (so you don't have to worry about ground loop problems from AC power). The picture I saw showed it fitting perfectly underneath a mini. If anyone knows what this is and has information, this might actually turn out to be the best solution! Also, maybe the Sanyo Pedal Juice?

If you have another option I haven't mentioned, I'd love to hear it!

Please help me out!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. jkokura

jkokura Member

TRex Chameleon

It'll do exactly what you want, and give you a spot to run something at 18V if you want, like an OCD or some other drive that can handle it.

Jacob

3. chrisross

That looks great! But, the whole problem surrounding that and any other PSU is the fact that they are notoriously hard to mount to mini's.

4. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

Why did you decide to downsize, if you don't mind me asking?

5. bobwl

bobwl Member

There's nothing that says you can't mount a pedal to the top of your power supply :omg

6. chrisross

Less stuff to lug around.
    I like one row of pedals.
    I play less live now than I used to.
    There was money to be made.
    After all the pedal changing around I've done, I've come to realize that I really just don't need that many pedals.
    "2 OD's, Boost, Tuner, Delay, Reverb is all I really need, why not JUST have those?" says I to myself.

But I don't want to derail the topic of the thread..
    The fact is I'm on a mini now, and I gotta figure out how to power it.

Again, if anyone does PSU mods to mini's, let's talk!

7. MrSoGood

MrSoGood Member

Jess 1971 has some good pics of his Mini in the Mini Pt.2 thread, with the Fuel Tank Jr. mounted underneath. It doesn't look like it would be that difficult to do. I modded my Pedal Pal so I could access the patch bay mounted under the side of my PT-1, but I didn't use a Dremel. I used an air grinder with a 3" cutting wheel, and it took no time at all. Then I polished up the cuts with a 3M wheel (Using the same air grinder) and it was nice and smooth. A little black spray paint and you couldn't tell I had cut it. I've heard it's tedious to do with a Dremel, but with the air grinder it was a piece of cake.

8. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Chris: Two power PSUs can power your board easily:
    1) VL ISO-5 can easily power the board. Unfortunately, it's bulky. It does have all the power requirements you are looking for along w/ an 18V dedicated tap. You would need a "Y" power cable to power two pedals off of one tap though. Depending on which Mini you have, the modding will be difficult for the sake of mounting the ISO-5.

2) Cioks DC8 can do the trick and the is the best suggestion for your needs. It has 4-9V taps @ 100mA for your 9V needs along w/ 2 high mA sets of taps @ 300mA combined in both sets of taps. The 2 sets of high mA taps give you the option of 9/12V powering options sharing the isolation. You can daisy chain off of the high mA taps or power high mA pedals on their own. Furthermore, the height of the Cioks DC8 is just slightly 1" tall. The dimension is 3.5" x 5.75" 1.3". You would have to modify the underside of the pedaltrain as the RCA plugs are long, but it can be done.

If you are interested in the Cioks DC8, PM me. I have one available. Jerry

9. chrisross

That's a good point. I could slide a Fuel Tank Jr under the Tuner, and it would actually work great, because they are almost the exact same size, and it would lift up the tuner (something I was going to do anyways).

I'm with you so far, but that leaves one question. How do I power the Nova? It needs 300mA and the Jr only puts out 100 per output.

10. jkokura

jkokura Member

Are you sure the Chameleon won't go upright between that top rail and the front? I see Jr's and Chameleons mounted that way in the pedalboard threads all the time.

Jacob

11. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

I've seen this as well, where the Chameleon is sitting in the lip in the front. There were pictures of this in one of the many "show me your pt mini" threads somwhere. Maybe not the neatest solution, but should get you powered up OK.

12. chrisross

Ok, here's what I'm thinking..

I have several of these laying around
    [​IMG]

So if I wired my board up like this (courtesy of chadadiah)

[​IMG]

And I'll wire the jack to the Fuel Tank Jr AND to the wall wart.

So I'll plug into the jack, and the power will split and go to the Fuel Tank and wall wart.

Yes, I know I'm making this way too hard, but I'm a neat freak. I can't help it.

13. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If you're going to go that route, the just use a Cioks DC8 then. Atleast you wouldn't need a power strip to power the Nova Delay. The Cioks PSU has a pedalboard mount included, and if you are good w/ a Dremel tool, you can easily modify the Mini. You can even go to a machine shop or fabricator, they wouldn't charge much for a 10 minute metal fabrication.

14. chrisross

Well, I'm just looking into all my options right now.
    Would that work though? Can I just solder two wires to each terminal and split the power between the Fuel Tank Jr and the wall wart?

15. chrisross

Bump for conformation that this is possible.