Ok need your help... barber small fry

ryanverbena

I just bought one of these and let me say its by far, without doubt, THE best overdrive pedal i've played. I run it into my framus ruby riot either clean or at slight breakup and it gives the amp such a harmonically rich mid gain crunch, it is amazing. So what i want is a recommendation for another pedal to stack with this one to create a boost/solo whilst preserving the awesome tone i have. This is the first barber pedal i have ever played and am so impressed that i'm thinking maybe a ltd or direct drive, but will that mess with my godly tone too much? What would you recommend for my situation and why?

ryanverbena

Oh and i forgot to mention that i don't want to compress my sound too much, like it to be nice and open. I have tried a BBE powerscreamer (tubescreamer clone for those who don't know), and i found it compressed and coloured my sound way too much. And also... i can't afford a klon or anything overly pricey, as much as i would love one of those!!

wleeds

Check out the LTD-V2. Very rich harmonically. TS like but with out the emphasis on mids and a little more pronounced in the bottom end.
You can go from moderate lo gain up to over the top with the SMall Fry.
mark

Gar B

Platinum Supporting Member
Or maybe either a Barber Tone press run with zero compression (or close to that so that the attack is untouched, but the stain is added) or the Barber Launch Pad.

gb

DC1

Tone Press. Just use it as a boost, and then.... bring in a bit of squeeze while leaving plenty of direct in the blend.

You will be so hooked. What a tone. Does not sound compressed.

And if you don't like it, just leave the blend at 100% direct.

DC

Festus

Tone Press is very cool, or run a Launch Pad after the Small Fry as a solo boost. The LP gives you exactly what goes in - only louder. No change in tone whatsoever.

DC1

BTW, in my scenario, the Tone Press is in front of the Small Fry and drives it slightly. Amazing tone.

DC

DerekEstrada

Yep....the Barber Launch Pad is cool...just tried one at my local shop today, and was quite impressed...can't beat Barbers for the price...

guitar emporium in louisville has em in stock...good luck with your setup...

rob13v

I run both a Small Fry & a Zendrive on my board, but I never use them together. The Small Fry is my go to mid-gain rhythm sound, the Zen, which is MUCH brighter, works as my lead tone (I play a Les Paul, so a brighter od works nicely for leads).

The Menatone Howie might also work, as it has a "clean" channel & a "od" channel. You'd essentially have your amp's tone, the "clean" Howie, the "od" Howie, the Small Fry, and all the various combinations of those.

alex_toney

TIMMY!

I run a Timmy at the end of my OD chain (TS9 --> Small Fry --> Box of Rock --> Timmy) and it brings everything before it to life! The Small Fry is an awesome pedal, and the nice thing about the Timmy is that it is totally transparent and sounds amazing, it will keep the tone of the Small Fry and can be used as a great boost. Also, because of its transparency it can be set as a low-gain od, and then if you turn the Small Fry on, for example, you still keep the sound of the Small Fry so it is great for layering OD's too. Awesome combination IMHO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom