OK now I've had a week with my 2nd G-3

jhall

I've taught myself how to get the sound I like most (Marshall Plexi).
I find the Crunch model to "get it" excellently. Also the Blues Breaker is no slouch. I have a JCM 900 2101 MK-III 100 watt head and a 1970s era 4x12 and the G-3 can nail that tone! The only difference and it could be related to the fact I'm running it into a reference amp and passive 8" monitors is the G-3 doesn't dial in that thunderous bass the real amp is capable of. Great job Zoom.
As I fool around with more of the amp models, I find good tone.

I've taught myself how to get the sound I like most (Marshall Plexi).
I find the Crunch model to "get it" excellently. Also the Blues Breaker is no slouch. I have a JCM 900 2101 MK-III 100 watt head and a 1970s era 4x12 and the G-3 can nail that tone! The only difference and it could be related to the fact I'm running it into a reference amp and passive 8" monitors is the G-3 doesn't dial in that thunderous bass the real amp is capable of. Great job Zoom.
As I fool around with more of the amp models, I find good tone.
need more bottom end .... at home I use KRK Rokit 6 (in stereo), but for gigs, and jamming I use Tech 21 Power Engine. 12" Celestion Seventy 80.
It takes 1/4" or XLR, and has XLR Out, which can go to anything you want, Mixer in PA (as if it were mic'd), or for direct Recording. It's quite loud. Get a lot of "turn it down" on 1 or 1 ½

I had the G3 when it came out, and now use G5. Both Zoom's sound great.
IMHO the G3 1.x firmware sounded better before I did the upgrade to 2.0

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
Well, you didn't ask me, but I'll give you my MS 1959 settings.

Compressor>ZScream>Vibrato>MS1959>Tape Delay>Reverb

Compressor is always on with sensitivity on 6.
Zscream is ready for over the top solos with gain only on 10-15.
Vibrato speed is set with tap tempo for slow chorus effect or faster organ like tones.
MS1959 only needs 58 for gain and 30 for tube. Treble/middle on 50. Bass at 25 and Presence on zero as I play through a FRFR wedge on stage.
Very smooth and warm response with these settings. Stock cab. Direct output setting.
Delay is tap tempo controlled. Quick tap makes it so short it seems to disappear if needed.
Reverb is subtle and always on.

This is a mid gain Plexi patch, the only patch I need for an entire night at a gig.
It relies on guitar volume knob. I play single coil, vintage style pup Strats.
With the guitar on 10 you get AC/DC type rhythm on the bridge pup.
Other pickups give you different textures of crunchy rhythm.
Turning down the volume knob starts to clean it up and Hendrix/SRV type sounds are around 7-10 with various pup combinations.
Turning down further give you clean rhythm sounds ala Lenny/Wind Cries Mary.
Even jazz type rhythm is there with the front pickup and knob on 2-4.
Very touch sensitive enabling pick attack or fingers to give you different textures at various volumes.

Lead sound is there with guitar on ten and if you need more the ZScream is transparent enough to give you more of what you have without changing the tone.
Controlled feedback is there with a bit of volume and angling towards your monitor.

Key to using this setup is volume pedal.
Tied to amp volume, it lets the delay and reverb ring if doing swells ala Larry Carlton.
Always give yourself extra headroom with the volume pedal as you need more when the guitar volume knob is turned down.
With guitar knob on 2-4 you goose the pedal giving you back what you lose.
Vice versa with guitar knob on 10.

jhall

Well, you didn't ask me, but I'll give you my MS 1959 settings.

Compressor>ZScream>Vibrato>MS1959>Tape Delay>Reverb

Compressor is always on with sensitivity on 6.
Zscream is ready for over the top solos with gain only on 10-15.
Vibrato speed is set with tap tempo for slow chorus effect or faster organ like tones.
MS1959 only needs 58 for gain and 30 for tube. Treble/middle on 50. Bass at 25 and Presence on zero as I play through a FRFR wedge on stage.
Very smooth and warm response with these settings. Stock cab. Direct output setting.
Delay is tap tempo controlled. Quick tap makes it so short it seems to disappear if needed.
Reverb is subtle and always on.

This is a mid gain Plexi patch, the only patch I need for an entire night at a gig.
It relies on guitar volume knob. I play single coil, vintage style pup Strats.
With the guitar on 10 you get AC/DC type rhythm on the bridge pup.
Other pickups give you different textures of crunchy rhythm.
Turning down the volume knob starts to clean it up and Hendrix/SRV type sounds are around 7-10 with various pup combinations.
Turning down further give you clean rhythm sounds ala Lenny/Wind Cries Mary.
Even jazz type rhythm is there with the front pickup and knob on 2-4.
Very touch sensitive enabling pick attack or fingers to give you different textures at various volumes.

Lead sound is there with guitar on ten and if you need more the ZScream is transparent enough to give you more of what you have without changing the tone.
Controlled feedback is there with a bit of volume and angling towards your monitor.

Key to using this setup is volume pedal.
Tied to amp volume, it lets the delay and reverb ring if doing swells ala Larry Carlton.
Always give yourself extra headroom with the volume pedal as you need more when the guitar volume knob is turned down.
With guitar knob on 2-4 you goose the pedal giving you back what you lose.
Vice versa with guitar knob on 10.

That is one SWEET patch!! Tried it and love it!!

:JAM

The Marshall settings are pretty much like mine. You can change between the 1959 cab and the Marshall Crunch cab to taste. Also this way you can crank the gain up and it actually works to increase the sweet Marshall trademark searing lead tone and hot rhythm tone without mud. Push the bass and you get a little of that "fart" too but not much.
I really love that vibrato set to sound a little "Leslie-like"
My hat is off to you for this patch!