Ok.. Now the 12AX7 discussion

Timbre Wolf

>thermionic<
Platinum Supporting Member
There are many, many "best" options. Your homework is to describe the qualities that "best" suit your needs and taste.

- T

sector9

If you mean best in new production, any of them will work, it's all the same crap. If you want to start experimenting with NOS then keep talking with blue strat.

Hezzzz

Mr Blue Strat I play everything from Elvis Costello to Foo Fighters. I play an Epiphone Dot with Seymore Duncan Custom 5 pickups. Custom 5s are higher powered PAF pickups.NOS please.

Clifford-D

why does anyone even reply?

Oops!
These sort of responses get me, and there are a few here.

The guy simply wants to learn about tubes and you guys treat him like he's supposed to already know this stuff. You guys aren't good teachers.

If people took the advise "why does anyone even reply?" there would be no TGP. In my experience the guys that know help the guys that don't, and that's the fun of it, eh?

So Russ, you seem to know tubes, can't you offer something productive for the guy?

- op, simple answer from me is Tung Sol, I can't explain why but they do it for me, Rubys and JJ's seem about the same.

Something that could help me, if there is only two factories making tubes anymore, one in Russia and one is China. What are the Russian trade names like Sovtec and JJ's, and the same for China?? I think JJ's are China?

RussB

low rent hobbyist
These sort of responses get me, and there are a few here.

The guy simply wants to learn about tubes and you guys treat him like he's supposed to already know this stuff. You guys aren't good teachers.

If people took the advise "why does anyone even reply?" there would be no TGP. In my experience the guys that know help the guys that don't, and that's the fun of it, eh?

So Russ, you seem to know tubes, can't you offer something productive for the guy?

- op, simple answer from me is Tung Sol, I can't explain why but they do it for me, Rubys and JJ's seem about the same.

Something that could help me, if there is only two factories making tubes anymore, one in Russia and one is China. What are the Russian trade names like Sovtec and JJ's, and the same for China?? I think JJ's are China?

Because of the extreme ambiguity of the OP...I still have no idea what an AC-20 deluxe is?

Recommending "what tube" is so subjective that there is really no good answer except to say try every tube you can get your hands on. There are really no bad choices. Today's NOS "value leaders" are Tungsram and RFT. Both sound very good if you like them ;)

grizdeluxe

Because of the extreme ambiguity of the OP...I still have no idea what an AC-20 deluxe is?

Recommending "what tube" is so subjective that there is really no good answer except to say try every tube you can get your hands on. There are really no bad choices. Today's NOS "value leaders" are Tungsram and RFT. Both sound very good if you like them ;)

Google AC 20deluxe. It's not that ambiguous.

MacGregor

Silver Supporting Member

JJ's are made in the Slovak Republic.

DaveKS

Hit up Blue Strat, pick up some ANOS and try them, can only give my opinion and it's only that. IMHO for what OP describes what I'd try for type sounds he's after....

ANOS RCA 7025, v1, good reason why these are one of the most sought after tubes in existence. Big, full, quiet, harmonically dense.

ANOS Sylvania long plates. Perfect v2 follower after RCA, fills in mids a bit in v2, very big mid range presence to them.

If you wanna try even more...
NOS RFT, perfect high end fizz tamer, great balance in ranges guitarist care most about.

ANOS GE or Tungsol, brighter more aggressive mid punch, rock n roll.

ANOS Amperex, rounder and more polite but every bit as interesting as any other tube.

ANOS Raytheon blackplate, much like RCA being big and full with lots of harmonic content but has a articulate, slightly aggressive top end to it.

As always IMHO, YMMV

Last edited:

DaveKS

Speaker broke in good?

If so I'd try the RCA 7025, Sylvania and RFT, between those 3 should be able to find a good roll you like.

Top Bottom