Ok PRS, you got me

Defendant

I'm passing through Oxford UK and had a chance to pop into a store and try some guitars. One was the new TV yellow LP special, which was very good.

Another was a PRS 594 DC - mentioned by many in my recent LP-replacement mega-thread.

I've gotta say: what an impressive guitar. Great across all pickup positions, easy to play, rock solid intonation and tuning. The neck was interesting -a slight V like my friend's Yaron burst. Not my exact taste but I could live with it.

I grabbed a new LP std 60s off the rack to compare -it had more treble cut and low mid. The PRS sounded slightly restrained in comparison but not in a bad way. I can imagine the PRS tracking very well.

It's been a loooong time between drinks between PRS and myself. But the 594 jettisons that honky SG-like PRS tone and is a definite contender for me. I'll put up with the birds for a guitar this good sounding.

Next up: finding the single cut version to try...

Stev0Griffin

Trendsetter
I'm passing through Oxford UK and had a chance to pop into a store and try some guitars. One was the new TV yellow LP special, which was very good.

Another was a PRS 594 DC - mentioned by many in my recent LP-replacement mega-thread.

I've gotta say: what an impressive guitar. Great across all pickup positions, easy to play, rock solid intonation and tuning. The neck was interesting -a slight V like my friend's Yaron burst. Not my exact taste but I could live with it.

I grabbed a new LP std 60s off the rack to compare -it had more treble cut and low mid. The PRS sounded slightly restrained in comparison but not in a bad way. I can imagine the PRS tracking very well.

It's been a loooong time between drinks between PRS and myself. But the 594 jettisons that honky SG-like PRS tone and is a definite contender for me. I'll put up with the birds for a guitar this good sounding.

Something PRS does very well is voice their pickups to basically need no / minimal processing after recording. Maybe some compression. Overall, they just fit in the mix as-is. It’s impressive.

The trade off is that you don’t (typically) get that low-mid punch in the gut when you dig in with a huge chord like you do with Gibsons.

I feel like those 594s are a pretty good compromise. Best of both worlds, for the most part.

Defendant

Something PRS does very well is voice their pickups to basically need no / minimal processing after recording. Maybe some compression. Overall, they just fit in the mix as-is. It’s impressive.

The trade off is that you don’t (typically) get that low-mid punch in the gut when you dig in with a huge chord like you do with Gibsons.

I feel like those 594s are a pretty good compromise. Best of both worlds, for the most part.
Interesting -my only serious recording experience was with a CU22 with Duncan 59s, but more for clean work and not so much for what I'd use my Les Paul for.

But yeah, that's what the 594 sounded like: a really well recorded Gibson.

ProfRhino

you could also try an older (ca 2010 - 2013) SC or Ted, guitar is every bit as superb as the current 594, the 57/08 PUs are incredible, just a tiny bit hotter than the LTs, but still very much in vintage territory - my all time favourite PAF, tied with the more unique DGT.
and I totally agree about the voicing - they work in the mix, that's exactly what the doctor ordered. :aok
addictive stuff !
ymmv,
Rhino

Defendant

you could also try an older (ca 2010 - 2013) SC or Ted, guitar is every bit as superb as the current 594, the 57/08 PUs are incredible, just a tiny bit hotter than the LTs, but still very much in vintage territory - my all time favourite PAF, tied with the more unique DGT.
and I totally agree about the voicing - they work in the mix, that's exactly what the doctor ordered. :aok
addictive stuff !
ymmv,
Rhino
Thx for the info!

I tried a single and doublecut version today. I much preferred the doublecut -it sounded great and the single cut felt bulky and sharp edged.

Judging by the two I played they are very consistent, too.

I did also play several top of the line aged LPs - which were excellent as well. Consistently more raw and present overall than the 594s. Excellent guitars, all lightweight with G strings that behaved. But 8K UK pounds compared to 2999 for the 594.

spencer096

I did also play several top of the line aged LPs - which were excellent as well. Consistently more raw and present overall than the 594s. Excellent guitars, all lightweight with G strings that behaved. But 8K UK pounds compared to 2999 for the 594.
had that same experience you had...even against gibson usa LP's. it wasn't a better/worse thing...just a different thing. raw is a good word to describe that difference. but sweet lord was the 594 a fun guitar to play...at first was kinda disappointed how it didnt stack up to an LP...but the more time i spent on it (prob 5 hours over 3 visits) the more i loved it. the fit and finish (on that particular model) was just spectacular, and it had a sound i felt could probably more easily work in a mix than the LP's. LP's tested against it were two usa 50's standards (honestly, i felt both were as good as the historics but that's a different discussion), r8, r9 and a 69 les paul custom. that 69 LP custom was in a different world but the value proposition vs historics is clearly in the 594's favor, less so against a choice usa model.

anyways, i ended up with a 335 but absolutely loooooooved the 594 double cut. that smoothed refined LP thing it had going on was prettay prettay nice.

Defendant

had that same experience you had...even against gibson usa LP's. it wasn't a better/worse thing...just a different thing. raw is a good word to describe that difference. but sweet lord was the 594 a fun guitar to play...at first was kinda disappointed how it didnt stack up to an LP...but the more time i spent on it (prob 5 hours over 3 visits) the more i loved it. the fit and finish (on that particular model) was just spectacular, and it had a sound i felt could probably more easily work in a mix than the LP's. LP's tested against it were two usa 50's standards (honestly, i felt both were as good as the historics but that's a different discussion), r8, r9 and a 69 les paul custom. that 69 LP custom was in a different world but the value proposition vs historics is clearly in the 594's favor, less so against a choice usa model.

anyways, i ended up with a 335 but absolutely loooooooved the 594 double cut. that smoothed refined LP thing it had going on was prettay prettay nice.
I did feel much more at home playing the LPs -I found myself babying the PRSi, whereas I was comfortable giving the LPs a good whack.

The 594s are definitely different, but not less -I always found the standard PRS recipe sounded smaller and lacking in everything except midrange focus. With these new ones there’s none of the disappointment I used to experience when comparing to an LP.

And frankly the playability is much better. Like comparing a reissue strat with a Suhr.

Krausewitz

Were you down at PMT?

Also....you come to Oxford and go down to Cowley to look at guitars!?

Defendant

Were you down at PMT?

Also....you come to Oxford and go down to Cowley to look at guitars!?
Yeah, PMT. Nice enough staff but not exactly a high point in my guitar shopping adventures.

Was going to head out to vintage and modern nearby but in the end lacked time.

Didn't really see any other nearby options -The UK has that annoying thing where half the decent shops are some weird location like the back of Ipswich.

And don't get me started on guitar guitar having phantom stock on their website...

Krausewitz

Yeah, PMT. Nice enough staff but not exactly a high point in my guitar shopping adventures.

Was going to head out to vintage and modern nearby but in the end lacked time.

Didn't really see any other nearby options -The UK has that annoying thing where half the decent shops are some weird location like the back of Ipswich.

And don't get me started on guitar guitar having phantom stock on their website...
My point is that you could have walked through Christ Church Meadow, had tea at the Vault and Gardens, lunch at Turl street Kitchen, beer at the Bear, walked around Worcester lake, gone to the Ashmolean or Weston....and you went to Cowley. Just seems strange to me.

Then again it depends on where you’re coming from from and where you were going, I suppose.

But you’re right, UK guitar shops are in really awkward places. Stevenage? Guildford? Middle of nowhere (Peach)!?

Not easy.

PMT is ok. There’s another little mom and pop just up the road that’s also ok, but more ramshackle and down market. Can’t remember it’s name.

Defendant

My point is that you could have walked through Christ Church Meadow, had tea at the Vault and Gardens, lunch at Turl street Kitchen, beer at the Bear, walked around Worcester lake, gone to the Ashmolean or Weston....and you went to Cowley. Just seems strange to me.

Then again it depends on where you’re coming from from and where you were going, I suppose.

But you’re right, UK guitar shops are in really awkward places. Stevenage? Guildford? Middle of nowhere (Peach)!?

Not easy.

PMT is ok. There’s another little mom and pop just up the road that’s also ok, but more ramshackle and down market. Can’t remember it’s name.
Ah, I see. Usually my top priorities in a new town visit are: museum, art gallery, guitar shop. Order of importance varies.

I’m used to having to go to a strip mall in an outer suburb to find a guitar shop, so PMT wasn’t that strange a visit. I did see the other shop -looked cool but limited time. I didn’t quite have time to mount a serious mission, and I knew I’d have a day in London.

I did wander through the Ashmolean -pretty decent. Oxford was as cute as a button -stored in a freezer.

Krausewitz

Ah, I see. Usually my top priorities in a new town visit are: museum, art gallery, guitar shop. Order of importance varies.

I’m used to having to go to a strip mall in an outer suburb to find a guitar shop, so PMT wasn’t that strange a visit. I did see the other shop -looked cool but limited time. I didn’t quite have time to mount a serious mission, and I knew I’d have a day in London.

I did wander through the Ashmolean -pretty decent. Oxford was as cute as a button -stored in a freezer.
I assume you’ll wind up on Denmark Street then?

If you do there’s a great little French restaurant and wine bar called the Beaujolais just down the road. Worth it if you have time. The restaurant is members-only, sadly, but you can go upstairs. They have a reduced menu, some good cheese and excellent wines.

Defendant

I assume you’ll wind up on Denmark Street then?

If you do there’s a great little French restaurant and wine bar called the Beaujolais just down the road. Worth it if you have time. The restaurant is members-only, sadly, but you can go upstairs. They have a reduced menu, some good cheese and excellent wines.
Thanks for the tip! Anything that isn’t a franchise in the Uk is welcome.

I went to Guitar Guitar Camden, where I played two more 594s, and Denmark St.

Denmark seems to get a little smaller and less interesting each visit, but I did get myself a Revival drive compact and had a whale of a time at sixty sixty playing 7K made to measure LPs -great young guys in that shop.

I also checked out a 69 tele with a crazy flamed neck, which was an experience full of classic Denmark st vibe: a sales guy who was lost in a practice trance on a Gretsch through a BF pro, whom I had to coax back to reality to ask to try the tele, then wait as he went semi-trancelike with the Tele...

Last edited:

Trending Topics