OK...so do I need a new bridge?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rubbersoul, Dec 16, 2009.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I have an Epiphone Sheraton and last night I struggled...wrestled...for hours trying to intonate the darn thing. I did the harmonic/fretted 12fret thing as well as the 3rd/15th fret thing...and I could get the tones pretty darn close using the moderately decent tuner I have...but the only string that played in-tune notes up the fretboard was the high E string. EVERY other string was sharp on every note up the fret board...AFTER I had intonated the strings the best I could. I have cranked the saddles down as far as they will go and they are turned around as well...flat side, not bevelled side for more distance.

I guess this means I need a new bridge? Do I need to look at something like a Tonepros?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. phantasm

phantasm Member

Sounds like the nut isn't cut properly.

3. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Silver Supporting Member

The nut won't affect the intonation unless it's improperly placed. In this case, it sounds like the bridge is improperly placed, which is much more likely. It also depends on the string gagues you're using.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Is the neck relief set correctly?

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Could be a poor nut cut, if it intonates at the 12th and sharps out with finger pressure i.e. a high action symptom

6. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I'm using 9 gauge strings.

Hmm...I'm don't really know. I don't really know if the nut is improperly place either...I mean it looks ok. Now, my G string just sounds quacky, loud, and off a bit, especially in the first few frets. Is that a sign of an improperly placed nut?

7. ivegotwood

ivegotwood Member

In my experience, if you can intonate ok, but it still sounds out of tune...its usually the nut. High action, worn frets can be a problem too. But if this is a new problem, did you recently change string gauges?

If you can't intonate, then the bridge may be placed wrong, which you may be able to solve by installing a new bridge that has more travel room for the saddle (check stew-mac for one that would fit on your posts). Changing string gauges or even brands may help a bit too depending on how much out it is.

I had one guitar that always sounded bad on the G, so I swapped it for a wound string and it sounded fine...sometimes they can be very sensitive.

8. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

The G string could be a nut slot cut too low, the neck could be too straight, you could have a high fret, it could be a bad string, . . .

Maybe take it to a tech for a setup? Or pick up a copy of Dan Erlewine's book on how to setup a guitar.

9. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Yep...the tech is probably the answer. Thanks guys.

10. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

I don't set the intonation by the 12th fret harmonic, I set it by my tuner with the string fretted at the twelfth.

while (TUNE=FAIL)
    do
    set TUNE = FAIL;
    Tune the string open;
    fret at the twelfth check note;
    set intonation;
    check tuning;
    if
    tuned and twelfth fret note tuned;
    set TUNE = GOOD;
    fi;

done;

9s is pretty light for a semi-hollow, I run 11s, most guys like 10s. You'll get a lot of debate over that, though.

11. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

I am having the same problem with my Sheraton, the G sounds almost like its on a vibrato. I have Ernie Ball 10's on there right now. Did you get this figured out? What was the problem?