ok, so i had my speaker cab disconnected...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by triple_vee, Apr 21, 2008.

1. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

...while i turned my amp on.

scratched my head trying to figure out why there was no sound. then i remembered i borrowed the speaker cable for a different rig. 5 minutes max...

apart from the obvious, is there anything i should be concerned about in terms of damage?

2. alltone

alltone Member

tube amp or solid state?

3. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Unless 'scratched my head' involves turning up the volume and hammering the guitar trying to make it work, you should be fine. :roll

4. alltone

alltone Member

Sometimes a solid state output section with no load and being fed an input signal can do funny things. Spitting out square waves and even D.C. among other weirdness!It wouldn't hurt to put a volt meter on the output before you plug speakers back in. If you get a reading ( Amp turned on , volume down )on either A.C.or D.C.(D.C . should be 0) volts greater than oh, let's say 1 volt with no signal at the input...beware.It can take speakers out , very fast!

Tube amp....as mentioned in the previous reply..should be good to go..keep an eye on the output tubes for a few minutes .If they start smelling hot, turning red,,shut down.

5. Finaldo

Finaldo Member

I did the same thing with my amp, and the HT fuse was blown. That was the extend of the damage.

6. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

I did this to a couple of my tubes amps, nothing blew up and they seem to work fine. It's not a good thing for the amp and it can destroy the OT but if you didn't keep it on for a long time without a load while trying to play it you should be ok.

7. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Depends on the amp. Those 20W handwired reissue marshalls, for example: They'll eat their OT if you look at them sideways. Run with no load? fuggettaboutit

8. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

it was a 5150 II tube head. thanks for your replies, i think i can relax. :)