OK... so I have $450 - $500 to spend on a bass..

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by blood5150, Feb 21, 2008.

1. blood5150

blood5150 Member

What would be the best bang for the buck???

I am a guitar player so this would be my 1st bass purchase.. I would just like to have one for home recording and some light gigging.....

I was looking at the Fender MIM basses...

Let me know what you guys think...

Thanks.

2. mischultz

mischultz Member

Similar situation to yours, and I just picked up an Ernie Ball Sub 4. Very happy.

Michael

3. devinb

devinb Member

I sold a USA G&L ASAT bass for $600 last summer...took a while to go at that price, and it was in great condition...I bought it new 10 years ago for more than twice that...if you stretch just a little bit you probably could find a similar deal

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

5. sarms58

sarms58 Member

I picked up a G&L 2500 Tribute for $299 +shipping. It was slightly used but I couldn't tell. The tributes are manufactured overseas but use the same electronics as the high end G&Ls. It lets you switch between active and passive mode (and it is a true passive mode) and have a coil splitter so you can get the cleaner single coil sound or the heavier dual coil sound.

I've been very happy with mine.

[​IMG]

6. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

its not a coil spliter, its a series/parallel switch.....unless of course yours is "special" in some way.

my US G&L is one of the rare ones with the 3 way para/sc/series switch.

But the recommmendation of a G&L tribute, or a used US G&L cannot be better.

These are the best asian made basses I have played for the buck.

7. sarms58

sarms58 Member

My bad...from a users point of view, it's a like a thick/thin switch so I was thinking splitter...

What's the SC on yours? Single coil?

8. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Yes, they make them rarely, I got it from the guy who knows G&L's at Guitarman NYC, Matt. He said G&L makes the three way switch for a certain store in Japan, and he is able to get them occasionally, but no such options on the Tributes.

It really is a thick/thin or fat/normal switch. I think G&L refers to the Parallel position in some of their own stuff as a "Bass Boost" switch

The single coil sound is very similar to the series sound, a little hollower.

9. blood5150

blood5150 Member

10. blood5150

blood5150 Member

11. smorgdonkey

smorgdonkey Member

You should play as many Ibanez basses as you can. They are remarkable. On the used market you could get a lot of bass for your budget. I have a USA G&L which sells for 3 times what the Ibanez that I have sells for and I am not kidding the Ibanez is outstanding. I like the look of the G&L more but Ibanez necks are so straight and the action on them seems so easy to get low without messing them up.

The SoundGear line is what you should look for. I think they typically have SDGR written on the headstock.

12. Thor

Thor Member

Another +1 for the used USA G&L - really amazing bang for the buck - sounds as good or better than a lot of basses for 2-3x's the $. I like the Ibenez Soundgear - very comfortable and well built basses. I found them to have a specific tone - I prefer the G&L, but let your own ears be the judge.

Another option, though getting a bit harder to find these days, are a used Guild Piolit - did a lot of tracking with one several years back, and it sounded great. A comfy no frills bass.

And since you seem to be someone looking for a lot of options, I would also look into a used Lakland skyline series. A very solid import bass that is just a notch or two below the USA series (I currently own 2 USA Laklands), at half the cost. You could even upgrade the electronics and get is professionaly set up and you will have a real killer of a bass!

Oh, don't forget Fender - used USA models are just north of your price range, and if you check out enough, you are sure to find a killer MIM or MIJ Fender. I have an old MIJ PJ that once again gets regular love (after I replaced the PUPs)

Happy hunting, and let us know what you end up with,

Edward

13. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

14. ghoti

ghoti Member

15. case4bass

case4bass Member

Save up for another year, you need 4x that.

16. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I plaid a number of really nice sub-500 basses the other day, including a Squier Vintage Vibe and a various Ibanez models. One can do quite well with that amount.

Also, I'd second used USA Hamer Cruises and Guild Pilot P/Js, from the 90s and 80s respectively. Of the two, I'd be more likey to buy the Guild without ever playing it first, as I've had such luck with the many I've bought or played over the years.

For *recording*, one can't do much better (for a passive bass, my preference), than the sound of a Hamer Cruise with the the SD Basslines pups and the 2-tek. I keep coming accross old tracks I recorded when I had one, and they really stand out as great J-style tone machines. Not the easiest basses from a playability standpoint, but I'm sure s lot of that was setup.

17. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Might look into Music Man's new import Sterling line.

18. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I'll put in for the G&L L-2000 as well.

I haven't owned a Tribute, but pretty much everything I've heard about them has been complimentary.

Regarding the switching on the G&Ls... I replaced the pickup selector with a 2 position switch so it's neck/both. I never use the bridge pickup soloed, and it was too much of a pain trying to balance the selector in the center position on the fly.