Ok... so I saw a Pterodactyl up close tonight. Not joking. WTF!?!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Smgbad, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

I was driving along on I-540 in Raleigh at sundown tonight, cruising at about 70 mph, heading to my weekly jam session with my buddy. All of a sudden I see the HUGE bird looking thing fly across the overpass I was on, maybe 20-25 feet in front of my car and about 7 or 8 feet off the ground. When I say it flew over, I mean it darted... Like a bird of prey. The first thing that caught my immediate attention was the fact it had an enourmous pointed beak, with a pointed top of it's head. My eyes followed the body down and I noted that the wingspan was probably about 5-6 feet wide. Kind of bony wing stucture ending in points (almost like sails) with what looked like small claws in the middle. Bat-like in a way. Couldnt tell really well but the body looked like greyish fur or dark skin. Two legs like a bird kind of jutting straight out of the ass section, followed by (and this is what REALLY made me freak) a LONG tail with a spade at the end. It then kept its wings open and leveled out, soaring over the foresty/swampy area below the overpass.

I am not joking. I was not drinking. There were NO drugs involved. Some friends I told tonight believed me as they knew was unusually freaked and excited. My wife thought I was full of it. Before you say anything about bats, no bat I know of it THAT big with a long spaded tail and a pointed head and beak. No bird I know of has fleshy wings nor a tail.

I have thought about this all night going over every possible thing it might have been. Pterodactyls don't have long tails in reconstuctive art I looked at afterwards.

Question is.... WHAT THE HELL DID I SEE?!?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    doublea likes this.
  2. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

Probably someone from one of the local universities, been screwing around with some pterodactyl DNA and the bastard got loose. Or not. I know of no large, spade tailed, flying beast. But I'm not up to date on the flora and fawna of the Raleigh area. Could it have been a Turkey Vulture with a arrow in its ass?

3. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

Did it look something like this?

4. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

It was not a kite or radio controlled plane. It displayed full range of motion. It glided then flapped, glided then flapped. Its wingspan was enormous, and it was very much a real living thing. The kite thing is out also because it flew over an overpass right in front of my car.

doublea likes this.
  5. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

^Oh man you could have some fun with that...

6. dharmabum29

dharmabum29 Member

I'm pretty sure it was Lindsay Lohan.

7. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

I did find this in my research to figure it all out. Pretty funny... NOT SUITABLE FOR WORK OR IN FRONT OF KIDS DUE TO LANGUAGE! Cool song though.

8. Brian D

Brian D Member

No clue what you saw (or even if you're serious), but your description sounds more like a rhamphorhynchus -- except for the pointed top on the head.

[​IMG]

9. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

I'm worried about those cats.

10. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Minus the colors, adding the head point, and havinf the wings not quite curving back so far that is exactly what I saw. Also it's teeth werent that noticible in the view I got.

11. Brian D

Brian D Member

Sounds more like a rhamphorhynchus/pterodactyl hybrid then!

For what it's worth, modern sightings of such creatures are not unknown... although nobody can explain them.

Did Pterosaurs Survive Extinction?

12. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

13. astainback

astainback Supporting Member

I am positive you saw a crane. There are plenty around there. I see them all them time.

el capitan likes this.
  14. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

I's love to hear more about this.

I think the photos above are fake... The wing angles are all the same.

15. paulrocker

paulrocker Member

Whatever it was, it sure jolted this guy's ability to spell and use proper grammar.

16. rob2001

rob2001 Member

You saw a tail? With a spade on the end? :Devil

17. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Blue heron is my guess. I thought the same thing when I saw one for the first time. The thing was gigantic and prehistoric-looking!

18. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    This. Crane, or more likely a Heron perhaps. They're sizable birds that tend to fly low and hold their legs and feed straight back behind them looking like a tail with a "spade" at the end as you described. They have plumage on the top of the their heads. Were you near a body of water where you were driving.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. slogger

slogger Member

I agree jwoertz - Great Blue Heron is a huge prehistoric looking bird. Were you close to any body of water?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.