Ok... so I saw a Pterodactyl up close tonight. Not joking. WTF!?!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Smgbad, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animalboy71

Animalboy71 Member

Great link!!!! Lots of interesting reading. Thanks for that.

2. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

Actually it works the other way.

Are you, Smgbad, menstruating right now?
    [​IMG]

3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Some photographic evidence would be nice, if they are flying in our skies, why then do we not have decent photographs of them?

4. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
  5. BlackmoreNight

BlackmoreNight Senior Member

Was anyone in the vicinity playing an instrument tuned to A=432hz? Playing in A=432 has an affect on the 5th dimension, and can open a temporary portal to an alternate dimension.

6. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Now we are getting somewhere.

7. smallstoner

smallstoner Member

If anything is possible... then it's possible... you're wrong?

Science relies on verifiable evidence, not some guy claiming something happened. Anybody can claim anything happened. Hey, I just saw Godzilla. Now it's science! No amount of anecdotes can possibly amount to real scientific evidence. There are tons of people who claim they saw ghosts, aliens, angels, leprechauns, etc. None of that comes close to being science, primarily because it is all crap.

Coelacanths live underwater. If they flew around and ate rabbits you could be sure we'd have realized it some time ago. And guess what? We don't accept the existence of coelacanths because someone told a story about seeing one. We caught them. You want people to accept the continued existence of pterodactyls? Go shoot one.

8. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

I'll shoot one!

Meanwhile, I resent the implication that leprechauns aren't real. Heck, I saw several riding pterodactyls just last Sunday....

9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Very poetic, but misapplied. I'm actually not blind to evidence and should some real evidence come forward that a pterodactyl or pterosaur of some variety (or Big Foot or Nessy, etc.) is still around, I'll be on board. But none has been presented.

Actually, anything is not possible (but that's another discussion). In this case, it is theoretically possible that pterodactyls are still around. Theoretically. But if you boil it down to how possible, given what we know about animals, their habitat, etc., the likelihood becomes so remote that it is essentially impossible. You could also argue that unicorns exist or that T-Rex still inhabits some remote place. And theoretically, those are possible. But rationally, we can be as close to certain as we can reasonably be that they do not.

That's where cryptozoology generally fails. That is, they take the "anything is possible" to a degree that's silly. As though someone who thinks they saw a pterodactyl suddenly makes it a 50/50 proposition. It's not. There is a reason that eyewitness accounts are not considered scientific proof. It's because people often mistake what they see (and other are dishonest and others are delusional and ... well, you get the picture).

Ah yes, our good friend the Coelacanth. Its discovery is truly a fascinating story, but comparing a marine species and a land species (or bird) is fundamentally different. Why? Because the ocean is a vast place and we have not been to most of it. In some ways, we know as much about the moon as we know about the oceans. So it is no great surprise (to me or other scientists) when new marine species are discovered, even large creatures. It's exciting, no question, but not really a shocker.

In contrast, the land and air we know quite well. We've been to the vast majority of the surface of the planet, and large things rarely escape our notice for too long. There are certainly species on land (or the air) that we haven't identified, but they are typically a) living in extremely remote places (not NC), b) have been mistaken for similar species, and/or c) they are small and have escaped our notice. A pterodactyl does not fall into any of those categories (at all).

If there were pterodactyls flying around North Carolina, it's not plausible to think we would not have some good photographs/video, specimens, etc. In the case of the OP (and other sightings), it's far more plausible that they are misidentifying known species.

------

But I know I'm not going to change your mind. You keep looking.

Peace,

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  10. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

What about West Virginia? Could there be pterodactyls in West Virginia?

11. gopherbroke

gopherbroke Supporting Member

Jordan Maxwell claims to have seen a pterodactyl in the 50's or 60's. Not at all unheard of. Wonder if they taste like chicken? :)

12. xpatico

xpatico Member

"But I know I'm not going to change your mind. You keep looking."

That is exactly my point! I'm not ruling anything out at this point. I will keep an open mind and will keep looking.
    "Question Everything"

Just because you do not believe it, does not make it not so.

13. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Member

Maybe it was Mothman.......

[​IMG]

14. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Start by questioning the veracity and/or accuracy of the OP's account, just saying.

15. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

I don't see what's so far fetched about the pterodactyl surviving for the past 150 million years since its alleged extinction, and maintaining a North Carolina population throughout the entirety of human history while pretty much flying below the radar. I dont see competition with birds as an issue - as birds are the pterodactyl's friendly cousin.

Heck, there are fish we haven't discovered yet....

16. smallstoner

smallstoner Member

There is a difference between being open-minded and just believing any damn thing anyone says. That's called gullibility. You don't appear to be questioning anything; just believing everything.

What if I told you there was a 100-mile tall statue of Oprah Winfrey on the other side of Jupiter?

"Just because you do not believe it, does not make it not so."

17. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

To all those who at least are willing to humor the thought I saw what I saw, thank you for your thoughts, and even to those who are helping to try to figure out exactly what it may have been (if NOT a pteradactyl). To all those who just cannot believe it, I say to you that there is no way for you to be 100% sure I did or did not see what I saw. I understand that open-mindedness is not a trait everyone shares. If things aren't documented fact or popular knowledge, then they cannot be true. Through that thinking, the world would still be flat.

18. Blindspot

Blindspot Member

The only problem is - you didn't see a pterodactyl. :hide

19. xpatico

xpatico Member

I have no idea who the OP is or his motivation. I'm basing my whole point of view in this particular topic on the my perceived authenticity of his story and the conviction and detailed observation with which he told the story. If that is less than truthful, he got me big time. But I have a tendency to trust people until they prove otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.