Ok..'splain to me Lucy...*Tweed Deluxe content*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Angry Old Man, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

Ok

Been trying to research whats out there as for as Tweed Deluxes. RI's, originals, boutiqe, etc?

Does(did) fender re-issue this amp?

If so how does the fender RI, originals, and boutiqe sounf to each other in comparson?
    I am sure each has it's own identity

Also what is the average price that can get you into one of these amps?

Price to build your own? (I have redone my guitars electronics several times, but just know enough to be dangerous with an iron)

If you guys can school me a little on these I probably will be able to ask better questions

Thanks
    AOM

2. rocketeer

rocketeer Member

Fender did a very good handwired Ri of the 57 Deluxe, I love it !

3. rainbowgunshow

rainbowgunshow Member

Yes, Fender did re-issue a '57 deluxe, but it is no longer in production. They now have a Tremolux, which is basically a 5e3 with tremolo. There are literally hundreds upon hundreds of boutique replicas and variations on the 5e3 circuit out there. Victoria, Clark, Tungsten, Stu Daddy, Lil Dawg, etc... are some of the bigger names, but there are plenty of other builders who make quality 5e3s at cheaper prices. It seems the 5e3 is one of the most discussed amps on tgp, so I'd try a search, because you can probably find all the information you're after.

4. rainbowgunshow

rainbowgunshow Member

In addition, I own a Victoria 5e3 and it is absolutely outstanding. It's one of the most faithful reproductions out there, if that's important to you. It comes stock with an efficient Eminence speaker that Mark has specifically spec'd to have more of a midrange presence. Don't quote me on this, but I believe I've heard from people who have personally compared it to other 5e3s say it has a larger tone sweep than others, and has the ability to be noticeably brighter.

5. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Cox makes a high quality 5e3 at a great price. I have a Hullett that is also a great amp. Lots of good used ones out there.

6. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

There are tons of these out there. Put up a listing that you want to buy a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe on the emporium and you'll get quiet a few offers.

Boutique will range from $800 to $2000 from what I've seen (this is for new). And in my opinion Tungsten makes a damn good one (the Cortez).

7. crunchman

crunchman Member

$800 for a new D'Lux in da emporium as we speak !!

8. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I had a '58 years ago and recently played a new custom shop. the new one sounded nothing like my original. others will disagree, but, from where i stood, it was a night and day difference. probably down to the tubes and speaker.

9. ES350

ES350 Member

Fender RI---by the time you upgrade the speaker, tubes, and some of the s**t components they use, you might as well get a boutique with all the good stuff. And you might just find a beat-up original for about the same money or a little more...

If you just want a 5E3 clone, stalk ebay/CL/emporiums and buy cheap; upgrade all you want.

10. thosk

thosk Silver Supporting Member

Lots of kits out there if you'd like to build your own. Many don't come with step by step instructions but are easy to build and a ton of info/help is out there if you have any problems. I believe TubeDepot has a kit with step by step instructions(you can download it free from their site)as does Marsh. I especially like the Triode kits-inexpensive and great components. Mission kits get lots of love as well.

11. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

12. LPVM

LPVM Member

These can be found in the $300 - $350 range.

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a Clark and am a big fan of his amps. Check the emporium. Some of his premium models go for pretty low prices these days and his Special model will be even cheaper.

14. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

that sounds awesome! im assuming its a 5e3 of some sorts? what is it?

15. Dale

Dale Member

Sara Richter (ebay) does a great 5e3 style amp as well. There are actually a lot of good builders of that one.

16. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

I appreciate the info

Couple questions: For right now I am going to be using this for home use. How loud does the amps have to be to provide a decent tone.

Also I had considered another Green board Blues Junior with a few mods, so that I might get a decent amp that works at low levels.

Problem with that is it would still cost me $300 for the amp, $150 in parts, and less than $200 to have them installed(It may only cost me around $100 since I am pretty tight with the local guru)

That puts me into a price range I could get a Fender RI from what I have seen. So....

I will have more question later(have been doing a heavy search here)

btw: that youtube vid was happening

thanks so far
    AOM

17. keithb7

keithb7 Supporting Member

I built a Trinity Tweed Deluxe 5E3. I love it, but for at home I find it too loud. I recorded a demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mDndZXa3Xek

I was wearing ear plugs through it and my family was out when I recorded it. I love how it sounds but it is very loud. I am currently ordering all the parts in to build my own tweed Princeton 5F2A. I love the tweed sound, and I expect it to be much more usable at home. It is rated at only 5W and mine will have a 10" speaker.

I pretty much knew enough to be dangerous with an iron before I built my 5E3 kit. I studied books to learn about all the parts and functions of them in the amp. The amp works very well. If you take the time to seek out good deals on more expensive parts you can build it for a very reasonable price. a good used speaker, NOS tubes, etc...
    I found a great deal on my 5E3 cab empty, used, in the Amp Emporium of this site. I liked it so much, I found out who the builder was (Memphis Amps) and this time around had him custom build my Princeton cab. I found a Weber Silver Bell 10" Alnico 8 ohm also on this site for a great deal. I should finish my Princeton, all in, including freight from various suppliers for about $550. I built my 5E3 for about the same.
    Every part I bought for my Princeton, I imported from the USA (I'm in Canada) so if you are in the USA, you'll have considerably less freight costs.

It's a lot of fun, go for it! Princeton or deluxe? Thought choice, I'd say both. I did! If I were to recommend which one to build first, I'd say Princeton.

Trinity Link: http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Trindel.htm

18. FreeBlues

FreeBlues Silver Supporting Member

I own a Li'l Dawg D-Luxe, can't say enough kind things about the amp, the process of ordering from Jim or the tone. Absolutely perfect! I play mine exclusively at home. I don't know what you mean by "decent tone," but played clean, mine is GREAT at near whisper volumes. Now, if you want that wonderful, fat, creamy OD tone, you're gonna make your housemates unhappy - it is a 12 watt amp after all! But, pedals are fabulous through this amp and the controls are very interactive, so getting great tones at all volume levels (at home) are a non-issue. I think the 5E3 is about the best "home only" amp ever.

19. peaveydriver

peaveydriver Member

Awesome tone, Keith! I appreciate the detail info on the build as well.

20. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

I am thinking Freddie King(50s), hubert sumilin, and guitar slim vibe.
    Not really dirty players in general, but still having plenty of cream(clean-ish).
    Does ever one agree it's a good living room amp? (Moderate volume/moderate vibe)?

I have saved several sites that some have mentioned for Boutiqe amps. which I well spend this weekend researching

Thanks
    AOM