Ok The Allman Brothers Band

msteeln

for Duane era ABB this classic LP and Eat A Peach is really all you need for the live stuff, amazingly their sets hardly ever changed a bit other than within the jams.

GulfportBound

for Duane era ABB this classic LP and Eat A Peach is really all you need for the live stuff, amazingly their sets hardly ever changed a bit other than within the jams.

Actually, what you need is all the shows that yielded up the original albums . . .

fillmore.jpg

. . . plus this from a performance at SUNY Stony Brook . . .

MORE BARN

For me SUNY is killer! Very raw but a great Blue Sky, YDLM, and a smoking One Way Out.

I also love the archival release from 2/11/72 and then from Nassau Coliseum in 73 when they had Lamar & Chuck. One of the reasons I like those is that you had Betts playing slide - which I thought was great...no, he was not a slide virtuoso like Duane, but that's why I like it. He was pulled out of his comfort zone with the electric slide and I think he did a great job. At times I choose to listen to those because I want to hear him play Duane's parts and make them work from the angle of NOT being Duane.

For me it's not always about the playing, but the story and circumstances behind it that can change the overall picture for me. This is like the whole Nils Lofgren playing piano on After the Goldrush instead of guitar...let's see how creative you are with an instrument that isn't your main thing...

GulfportBound

For me it's not always about the playing, but the story and circumstances behind it that can change the overall picture for me. This is like the whole Nils Lofgren playing piano on After the Goldrush instead of guitar...let's see how creative you are with an instrument that isn't your main thing...

You could ask Al Kooper about that. After showing up for a Bob Dylan session with his guitar and---in Kooper's own words---Mike Bloomfield
"got rid of me in a hurry," he snuck behind a Hammond organ (when the session's hired keyboard guy, Paul Griffin, moved to the piano)
and played it on "Like a Rolling Stone" . . . and most of the Highway 61 Revisited album, even though he'd never played an organ in his life
until then. And he turned out to be one helluvan organ player.

Not to mention Brian Jones (who'd pick up any instrument he thought might enhance a Rolling Stones recording whether or not he'd played
it before, teaching himself just enough quick enough to make it work) and Roy Wood (who played the classical instruments on the first
Electric Light Orchestra album simply by playing one or two notes at a time and dubbing since he wasn't that familiar with them).

NitroLiq

I would love to see a proper release of the Univ. of Missourri '71 show. One of my fav bootlegs in spite of the recorder mics being overloaded towards the end. Ripping performance and setlist.

MORE BARN

You could ask Al Kooper about that. After showing up for a Bob Dylan session with his guitar and---in Kooper's own words---Mike Bloomfield
"got rid of me in a hurry," he snuck behind a Hammond organ (when the session's hired keyboard guy, Paul Griffin, moved to the piano)
and played it on "Like a Rolling Stone" . . . and most of the Highway 61 Revisited album, even though he'd never played an organ in his life
until then. And he turned out to be one helluvan organ player.

Not to mention Brian Jones (who'd pick up any instrument he thought might enhance a Rolling Stones recording whether or not he'd played
it before, teaching himself just enough quick enough to make it work) and Roy Wood (who played the classical instruments on the first
Electric Light Orchestra album simply by playing one or two notes at a time and dubbing since he wasn't that familiar with them).

Great stories!!

Never heard those before. Another one along those lines is Neil Young getting Jack Nitzsche to play lap steel on Harvest, when Nitzsche was some film score composer/producer/keyboard player...

GulfportBound

Great stories!!

Never heard those before. Another one along those lines is Neil Young getting Jack Nitzsche to play lap steel on Harvest, when Nitzsche was some film score composer/producer/keyboard player...

Yep!

A classic: Marty Balin forming Jefferson Airplane and bumping into Skip Spence, saying, "You're my drummer!"
Spence was a guitarist who'd never drummed before in his life, but he hung in to drum on Jefferson Airplane
Takes Off
before leaving to help form Moby Grape.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I've been working on Statesboro for awhile now...trying to get some of those licks right...what a great song. We added it to our setlist and I get to sing it, very psyched!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom