OK then how about the Rivera combo's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by desertbluesman, Feb 28, 2009.

1. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

I have been looking at the thousand dollar Rivera combo's which would be kinda ironic since I work for Rivera Masonry as an estimator. Here is a link to my boss's book www.thebarefootshoeshineboy.com

2. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

The Rivera amps in general are fine amps...They're smaller newer models aren't in the same league as amps like the Fandango....The New Venus 6 I've heard great things about...I toured with an M-60 for many years...100% reliable.....They're a great buy used....In fact there's a 100 watt combo for sale here on the amps emporium for $500...That's a steal for that amp....The clean channel sounds very Fendery, and the OD channel sounds Marshally....good reverb and FX loop

4. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

i bought a pristine used m-60 1x12 combo for $700. can't beat that :RoCkIn

5. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

Chubster and Pubster and Clubster in the 40-50 watt range

6. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Of those, I would go with the Chubster, although I have not played the other two. The Chubster is a great amp.

7. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Buy Rivera used! If I were to buy another rivera thats what I would do. For whatever reason they dont seem to hold there value that well which makes them a great used deal. 1400$ for a new Chubster vs 700-800$ used. Bob

9. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

Thanks for the advice I will think on it.

10. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I used a Rivera R-30 for years.

Excellent, portable amp with great Fender and Marshall tones. It took pedals well too.

I'd buy it back given the opportunity.

11. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Rivera + OCD= excellent hi-gain tones. :BEER

12. amc

amc Member

The absolute best value in the amp market for a buyer would be a used
    Rivera. IMHO, my M60 has a more pleasing blackface Fender sound* than Fender
    (*as do Bruno, Two Rock, Carr, Dumble, etc...........)

13. Payne

Payne Member

I have a Clubster 45. Do you think its OD can be as "good" as the other Rivera combos considering it only has 2 preamp tubes (something that still bothers me :puh). By the way, do you use the OCD to push the OD channel or do you use it on the clean channel?

14. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

Thanks Lance, I am looking for a used one right now, nothing on e-bay, I see a new Fandango for 2 grand, and a new Chubster for $1600 but nothing used on this day.

15. Payne

Payne Member

Desertblues:

PM sent.

GuitarTone:

Guess I need to break down and get the OCD. Here great reviews and very few if any bad ones. Clips Ive heard online are great. Honestly, I think I rushed in and may have bout the wrong Rivera. Maybe something with a little more gain for my taste. Overall though the best built amp Ive ever owned. Cleans are fabulous and OD does great blues and classic rock. However, Ive been accustomed to Marshall's (800's and 2000's) and Soldano Hot Rods with closed back cabs. However when the family began to expand I didnt have the room for these bigger setups or the ability to crank. Oh well, sometimes I feel Im never satisfied. Thanks for the info.

16. strat56

strat56 Member

Don't forget about the Fender amps he designed in the early 80's as well as his own brand. They're still a pretty good deal too. There are a few of them on eBay.

17. dets1

dets1 Member

ditto. i've had one for about 4 years now and it's my favorite "amp on the go". lots of different tones.

18. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Good comments. I love my OCD for what it does when on and off. This pedal has the best true bypass thing going on of any pedal I've used.
    OCD + 2 Lava cables and if don't sound good, there's something wrong elsewhere.

19. Payne

Payne Member

GuitarTone

I think my hang up is less the OD and more the perceived lack of "tight" bottom end. Going from 412's to an open back combo is a big difference that I underestimated. I'm in the process of trying out a friends Avatar closed back 212 with V30 and G12H with my Clubster. If I'm pleased I may keep it and search for an extension cab. Ofcourse I'll have to get a Weber Z-Matcher since I only have 1 speaker output and want to also use the internal at the same time. :dunno

20. desertbluesman

desertbluesman Member

I am not above paying the Minimum Advertised Price for something I want. My only option is to go to GC and do a shootout on the amps they have there. The Mesa Boogie Lonestar is also in the running as well as the Genz Benz El Diablo 60. The Lonestar prices in about the same as the Chubster, less than a Fandango. So the thing to do is go to Guitar Center and do the shootout, maybe on a Monday. However if I run across a Fandango used in the Phoenix Area, I will jump on it. I have lots of time.

Thanks hows things going down there in the Southern half?