1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok this is not cool, but Les Paul input wanted

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yoshiii, Jun 2, 2020.

1. yoshiii

yoshiii Member

Hello

This is kind of stupid sounding but i am having a hard time choosing a Gibson Les Paul to buy. I know some people suggested going to pawn shops and try to find some, but not many shops where I live.

So I am looking for used and new at good prices. The Gold Top used Tribute that I was interested in was sold so there goes that one. It was actually nice.

At the local Sam Ash they have two Gibson Les Pauls Studios in black, one with silver hardware for 799 and one with gold hardware for 699(The gold hardware is tarnished and there are some chips in the guitar.) I dont like the weight relief and the necks so much.
    They have a tabacco burst Tribute new for 1100.

I really dont like Studios or Tributes( I keep thinking for few hundred dollars more can get a Classic). Dont really like the feel of the neck with the finish.

I am really wanting a Les Paul and have worked to save up some money.

If I go with the Studio or the Tribute I would buy it just to have a Les Paul now, where as if I save a bit more and get the Classic I will not feel like maybe I really dont like it.

So for those of you who own Les Pauls, is it worth saving up the more money to buy the Classic and being patient and get something I know I really want? Or should I just buy a Les Paul regardless?

CBreeze and C-4 like this.
  2. doc

doc Supporting Member

I'm assuming you currently have an electric guitar of some sort. If so, I'd suggest playing what you already have while you save for what you really want. Life is too short for "place-holder guitars". Some of what we really want is on an emotional level - I'd listen to that voice unless its telling you to do stupid stuff. Having said all that, its likely the Studio will play and sound just as good as the Classic, but the intangibles and appearance also count.

3. Thwap

Thwap Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

4. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

Save up to get the guitar you want.

5. eigentone

eigentone Silver Supporting Member

Buy what you really want. With the intention that you will play it many years. A guitar you love gets more use than the two you aren't crazy about.

6. EndGame00

EndGame00 Member

You know what’s better than a Les Paul?

More Paul....

C-4, Json, ewatkins and 10 others like this.
  7. Mikelangelo

Mikelangelo Member

Yes, save a bit and get a good one!!! :p Somehow I don't like studio Les Pauls either... :rolleyes: I don't know what it is with them... I guess they're okey guitars, but not what I want from Les Pauls. I used to have a Tokai Love Rock-, from 1982-1985(?) shiny, black one, that was a neat guitar!!! Better than studio Les Pauls that I have tried :D

LeftyGtrPlr and yoshiii like this.
  8. Lester Alvarez

Lester Alvarez Member

Find a used Traditional. I have a 2013 that is fabulous but I believe more recent models don't have the rounded 50's neck that I love so much. I believe the more recent and current ones do come stock with an abr-1 where as mine came with a Nashville.

9. Omega

Omega Member

Identify, find and buy what you want.

Buy once, cry once.

10. yoshiii

yoshiii Member

lol

11. yoshiii

yoshiii Member

Yes I do.

Thats true, I dont need guitars for the sake of having a guitar I dont really like.

I will give the studio another try to see if I could like it.

12. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

I think it's worth it to wait. You can still get 90s Classics and Standards for reasonable prices, and you can get Traditionals from the past few years for a song at times, though $1600-1800 seems to be more the norm. I would save more and get what you want. If not, you'll end up trading up anyway. Buy once, cry once.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. yoshiii

yoshiii Member

Thats true

14. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

As someone who owns a Studio and a Classic....save up for the Classic. :cool:

LeftyGtrPlr, sunking101 and DCross like this.
  15. AlanH

AlanH Member

Be patient and get what you really want but the main thing is to find a good example of whatever model you do want.

16. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I have gone full circle with Les Pauls. I've owned several LP Standards, Classics and a Historic Reissue 59. I was finding the Classics in the mid-late 90's, they often looked really nice, had a 60's slim taper neck but they were heavy, often 9.5 to 10+lbs (maybe that's changed now). I never held on to them for too long. Then I got the R9. I got an amazing price on it as the store had seen close to two birthdays with it on their wall, I stopped in after a late work day on a Friday, the owner was loading a trailer to go to a guitar show Sat. morning and I asked him if he had any real bargains - he pointed to two R9's and said those two - first $3,000. tomorrow gets them, I asked him to hold the great looking darkburst for me and I'd bring him the money first thing the next morning at the show. I had that guitar for many years, played it some but it didn't "change my world". Two years ago I got an offer for it I couldn't refuse, sold it then bought a McCarty DC 594, a Cherry Studio LP and an Ebony Satin 50's Tribute LP with p90's (told you it was an offer I couldn't refuse). I really like both the Faded Studio and the 50's Tribute a lot - for when only a Les Paul will do - the lack of cosmetic bling on either of them does not detract one bit from their true Les Paul voice, I had plenty of R9 reference to know. They scratch a sonic itch. Over time I've found that if I love the neck on a guitar, the rest just takes care of itself - if it speaks to you when you hold it, it plays well (or could easily get a setup done once out of the store), you might have found a new friend. You've got to start on the Les Paul trail sometime.

17. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

There is a middle ground:

[​IMG]

urQuill, squittolo, EndGame00 and 2 others like this.
  18. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Wait and save for what you really want.

So many of us have been down that road.. started with a studio faded, than studio T, then traditional.. then sold and bought a standard.. eventually sold and went Custom Shop.

Looking back, out of all the money waisted on buying, then losing money on selling, and buying more.. I probably could've bought another Les Paul.

It's hard waiting, but if I ever had to do it again, I'd absolutely just save up for the 1 that I truly wanted and accept no substitutes.

C-4, jrjones, zryder and 3 others like this.
  19. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

Definitely get what you like, regardless how that is defined. Getting an LP just to have an LP is an acknowledgement that it's temporary and making a return on a placeholder guitar's tough normally let alone right now.

20. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Agree. I was lucky -- I have 1 Standard and 1 Traditional and have no desire for a Custom Shop model. So I'm satisfied with my happy medium. But for sure I'd have been wanting a "real" LP had I gotten a Studio or Tribute or something like an SG.

Actually, I did get a PRS DGT that ended up being a placeholder, but I traded it for the Traditional so that worked out well.