OK, this is the first video that makes me want to dive in Digital Modeling...

Short Tooth

I have always had reservations about digital modeling. But, I am also far enough along to know these are all tools and each serve a purpose. It is short sighted to eliminate one, especially one everyone uses to great affect. Especially the new players... This is the first video that took away option paralysis, or at least formulates an early path of keeping it simple.

I don't feel intimidated anymore. I am excited to get prepped for this transition. It was also nice to see the Helix highlighted here. Anyway, I am not trying to solve a problem you don't have. But if you have had any reservations, or you are in the modeling realm floundering in agony - this is the best pitch for digital modeling yet in my opinion. There are a lot of those "been there, done that" hacks even if you are already comfortable with Modeling. Have fun, and good luck.

dronerstone

I have always had reservations about digital modeling. But, I am also far enough along to know these are all tools and each serve a purpose. It is short sighted to eliminate one, especially one everyone uses to great affect. Especially the new players... This is the first video that took away option paralysis, or at least formulates an early path of keeping it simple.

I don't feel intimidated anymore. I am excited to get prepped for this transition. It was also nice to see the Helix highlighted here. Anyway, I am not trying to solve a problem you don't have. But if you have had any reservations, or you are in the modeling realm floundering in agony - this is the best pitch for digital modeling yet in my opinion. There are a lot of those "been there, done that" hacks even if you are already comfortable with Modeling. Have fun, and good luck.

True, the HX poly pitch algo is definitely stellar, I like it better than current EHX and Digitech algorithms, and that actually means something...

Get in there head-first, enjoy the neverending fun ride! :) Cheers

59Jazzmaster

Wow that's amazing tone. Not scared to take the plunge anymore.

Seanspeed

I'd seen some of Nick Hill's videos before and he definitely helped me understand the major contributors to what makes for a good tone here and yea, it's pretty simple overall. For all the things you can play with, getting a great tone doesn't require much effort/tweaking once you're familiar with things.

I still think using a 3rd party IR is an easier and better way to get a great high gain tone very quickly from Helix, at least as of now - this might well change soon - but, this does also come with the same caveat of 'once you're familiar with it'. Gotta know which IR's work and with what, and this might require some messing around and testing beforehand. Once you've got some good ones ready to go though, you can basically just load up an amp and an IR and be like 90% of the way there immediately.

LaXu

The video is very annoying to watch because of the constant cuts and people snapping around.

The content here is "modern metal tones 101". Noise gate, your preferred boost into a high gain amp, blend a bright and dark mic for cab sims, add some EQ if needed. The boost is just the straightforward, less flexible way to basically boost the mids and cut the low end before the amp input. You could get more surgical with a parametric or graphic EQ.

But a good takeaway here is that a digital modeler is like having a recording studio in a small box. You can do immense amount of sound shaping but the discussion is all too focused on the amp and cab sims. I can totally understand it can be daunting to get started when you are used to the limitations that real amps, cabs and pedals have and suddenly you have to be your own recording engineer.

If you've never miced a cab in your life then suddenly being thrown into that world can be confusing because how the hell are you supposed to know what characteristics different mics have, how the position changes things etc? It doesn't help that the workflows for this stuff are kinda crap on all modelers with their unintuitive IR lists and whatnot.

Bob Zod

The Land of Entrapment
Silver Supporting Member

6lcwoo.jpg

kyolic

I've never used the Helix (currently use a Kemper Profiler), but my reservation about digital has gone long ago. These are two of my favourite digital demos:

Lol, I remember when this video was first posted (my jaw had dropped). It must have contributed to hundreds of Kemper sales. It is a free profile btw. :)

Ejay

Clear case of “one man’s gold is another one’s trash”;)
Coming from world of cleans and mild overdrive…chuggachugga always has me wondering …why? ;-)..must be gettin old ;-)

Bob Zod

The Land of Entrapment
Silver Supporting Member
Lol, I remember when this video was first posted (my jaw had dropped). It must have contributed to hundreds of Kemper sales. It is a free profile btw. :)

I used to fall for stuff like that. Then realized if I don't have that persons exact same rig and exact same hands, the sound of the demo is useless to me. I will compliment people that make them and all that but it won't affect my purchasing decisions.

yargnad

I've never liked, and still don't like Helix modulation FX - they just don't do it for me. So, if I have to use outboard pedals for those tones, what's the use of an AIO modeler? I'll stick with my Hotone Binary Amp and modular pedals, which have about the same footprint overall. I don't dig being locked into a single ecosystem with anything, from computers to tools. I prefer open architecture over proprietary systems any day of the week. There's never been an AIO system that scratches all of my itches.

Top Bottom