Ok, time for a NEW recording system....help plz

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ♫♪♫, Aug 17, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

Ok, in my other thread I told my sorrowful tale of how my brand new tascam dp02 is crapping out on me...

So, I got the thing for 500$ and I was wondering what you guys would suggest in that price range that would be better. I dont want to spend more than 500$ (Canadian) really so yeah, opinions would be great. I would PREFER a standalone unit like the DP-02 if at all possible.

I bought a CAD Condenser mic, and a shure sm57, I already have all the cables and stands too.

2. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

yeah I suppose, but after reading some of the bad stuff on the tascam forums...well, lets just say that there are like 5 threads of them locking up, and at least 2 with the same problems as mine :(

Anybody familiar with fostex? Is the boss stuff any good? I know boss guitar effects are fantastic quality and reliability...

3. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

Ok I am looking at the Presonus Firestudio Project
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-FireStudio-Project?sku=241723

Since I already have a laptop and desktop (the laptop is an HP dv9700 with 1.6 ghz core 2 duo, 512 mb dedicated video card, 2 gb ram, etc. 17" display, etc. while the desktop is a 2.6 ghz dual core with 2 gb ram and an integrated video card)

So, I have mics, a laptop, cables, and stands, would I be able to comfortably record by just adding the firepod/firestudio or would I really need anything else?

4. jcground

jcground Member

How fast is the hard drive in your laptop? I'd recommend a drive that's at least 7200 RPM for multitrack work. People who are serious about laptop recording typically get an external firewire drive to use as the slave where they do all their tracking (LaCie is the brand I'd recommend), but you could start out recording with your internal drive if its fast enough, particularly if you don't plan to do projects with a lot of tracks.

5. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

5400 rpm from what I can tell. I shouldn't need any more than 8 tracks.

6. JeffE

JeffE Member

I think that's a good choice! It comes with Cubase LE 4, which is plenty good enough to get you started. I suspect that either your laptop or desktop will suffice, although if it were me I'd go with the desktop - it's bound to have better performance. If you go with the desktop, add a 2nd hard drive so your data isn't competing with the OS while you're recording.

7. jcground

jcground Member

I agree - for up to 8 tracks, you could probably use either of your systems without any real performance problems, but getting an additional slave hard drive for either would boost performance. That'd be a no-brainer for the desktop, since a fast internal HDD should be pretty cheap.