OK to use Voodoo Labs Power Pedal II to Power KR Musical Megavibe and Gypsy Fuzz ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jimi1983, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Jimi1983

Jimi1983 Member

I have a Megavibe and Gypsy Fuzz on order and I am wondering if it is safe to use the Voodoo Labds Pedal Power II to power them both. does anyone know? Thanks!!

2. Dogtowner

Dogtowner Member

On KR's site he says the Mega runs on 12v.The PP2 has a socket(s) for 12v. I'm sure you could run the Gypsy. Probably in the socket that sags, fuzzes sound good when the battery is a little lower then 9v. On the fuzz, I would try to find out if it needs a negative or positve tip.The Fulltone 69 pedal for example uses a positive tip. Good Luck

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  3. exodus

exodus Member

4. Jimi1983

Jimi1983 Member

I've been reading about the 12v outlet not having enough power and someone using the 18 volt elsewhere on GearPage.

Thoughts anyone? Seekign agreat sound experience without frying the new pedal when it arrives! Thanks!

5. Dogtowner

Dogtowner Member

Call or email Voodoo Labs with your questions. They should be able to answer most of them.

6. shakti

shakti Member

I doubt that VL will want to answer for everyone's pedals...

The thing with the Megavibe is that it wants to see 12VDC at a certain minimum current to sound and work right. The adapter that comes with it is rated 12VDC@200mA. However, it is an unregulated adapter, meaning that if you measure it, it will read 16-18V, but once it's connected to the Megavibe, the voltage drops to around 12V. If you use a regulated power supply, it will put out and read 12V regardless of being connected to a load (i.e. pedal) or not.

The 12V setting on the VL PP is, AFAIK, actually a 13.2V unregulated power supply like the Boss ACA type adapter. So I think this one will actually drop in voltage under load. It may also not have enough maximum current flow, regardless of the voltage. But I am not certain about this, and VL should at least be able to tell you if it's regulated or unregulated.

I have used my Megavibe with the top power outlet of a VHT Valvulator. The top outlet is actually regulated 12VDC@160mA, which works perfect with the Megavibe.

7. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

yep
    use the Line 6 section of the PP2+. But the megavibe may use a postive tip instead of a negative tip. Check what the adpater says first

8. Jimi1983

Jimi1983 Member

Thanks to everyone - Can't say I necessarilly fully understand all this. I'm just a Geologist and Guitarist, not an electrician! ; )

Jimi

9. rickbob

rickbob Member

PP2+ specs
    outlets 1-4 normal setting PSA 9V @ 80 mA (regulated)/outlets 1-4 switched, ACA 12.2V @80mA (regulated)
    outlets 5-6 normal setting 9V @ 200 mA (regulated, so also PSA)/outlets 5-6 switched, unregulated - 16V @ 0mA - 11V @ 250mA
    outlets 7-8 normal setting 9V @80mA (regulated, so also PSA)/outlets 7-8 switched, SAG 4-9V @ 80mA

this is what I figured out from reading analogman's page on the subject, and perhaps some other source I can't remember... http://analogman.com/voodoo.htm
    ..which I wrote on a card attached to the back of my PP2+. My Mega's power supply is 12 V unregulated so I plug it in polarity correct into outlet 5 or 6, switched, works great.

10. Jimi1983

Jimi1983 Member

Thanks rickbob- What do you mean by "polarity correct" - do I have to change something to do so, or just plug the mega right into that outlet?

Showing my ignorance and appreciating everyone everyone's generous support!

Jimi

11. rickbob

rickbob Member

Oh I just mean tip positive or negative....the MegaVibes are tip positive, at least mine is.