OK you pedal junkies

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Teleking, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Wanted to try a couple more pedals but not sure which to give a whirl next.

I like light overdrive and boosts. Have plenty of high gain, and I don't use it very often at all.

Pedals I use mostly now are the eternity with RC Booster and Sex Drive. Best combination I've found. But you crazy people keep making me buy **** that I don't need, and I'll be buying a couple more pedals that I don't need because I'm an addict.

Anyway, under consideration are

ZVex Box of Rocks
    BJF Honeybee
    Zendrive
    Tim
    Little Green Wonder
    Cot 50
    Analogman KOT

I'll buy two. I assume some of you have tried all of these. I love the tone of my amp, I just need something to push it now and again with just the slightest bit of grit. Very, very slight.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on it. Thanks

2. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

I'd personally recommend that you check out the KOT v4, and the Tim (or) Honey Bee. On second thought, I've owned all of the above pedal except for the LGW and the COT 50 and I also LOVE the tone of my EL-84 amp (Cage Corsa) and the KOT v4 is the only dirt pedal left on my board (FWIW)

PLUS, the KOT v4 is 2 pedals in one which cascade and you have the dip switch options which let's you run either side as a boost, OD or distortion :D

3. shawntp

shawntp Member

I think the Tim is nice with every pedal ive tried. If you have pedals you already like for their signature/OD capabilities the Tim is always a nice mix. Ive tried it with pedals of different flavors - OCD, Zendrive, FullDrive - I have a Klon on the way to try out.

With that - I got the Tim for its higher gain but in retrospect for stackers/amp pushers the Timmy is probably a better option - I dont like to stack the Tim with boost engaged or with the gain past 12-ish.

If you are using the TIM on its own its a good Higher OD side with the boost but if you are stacking or overloading an amp the Timmy is an option.

I love the Zendrive because it has great low to high gian and response with its own dark and smooth signature but it really adds its own sound.

Box of Rock is Marshall in a box - sort of a better Fulltone OCD - if thats what you are into. Zendrive and timmy are great ingredients to any signal chain.

ive not tried the Cot 50, KOT , or green wonder.

4. Teleking

Any other suggestions from people who have tried a good number of these?

Thanks

5. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

I suggest buying my COT50:).

Seriously, it's a great pedal for the vintage Marshall tone, that cleans up like a fuzz face. It works better, in my opinion, w/ singles, although some like it with buckers as well.

Happy hunting.

6. thedroid

thedroid Member

Are you wanting something different or a better version of what you have? How is what you've got not working for you?

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

The Bob Burt Boost is amazing for a big push with little or no grit, regardless of output. It is the only boost to dethrone the Sexdrive oon my board---and I love the Sexdrive.

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've owned the majority of those pedals and the ones I have on my board right now are the LGW, Zendrive, and Timmy. They each do thier own thing very well and I would heartily recommend any or all. I sold my COT50 because it was way too loud a pedal with my rig as I like to run my amps very clean and add a myriad of dirt shades with my pedals. The COT50 works great with an already distorted amp but not so great with a clean amp. I'm on the list for a KOT and have heard nothing but nice things about this pedal. I am more than willing to wait for my name to come up though because I refuse to pay the $$ needed to buy a used one.

9. Teleking

It's not that they're not working, but I can usually try a pedal and then resell if I don't like and lose shipping cost for the price to trying it if I don't like it. To me that's worth it if I find something I like better.

That, and I'm a big pedal junkie like many here.

10. 6789

6789 Member

I use a Honey Bee for this same use. I like it a lot. It works perfect for my set up. So I'd suggest a Honey Bee. I haven't tried all the pedals you listed. I've tried a few of them.

11. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

This is exactly how I use my Tim, all other dirt & fuzz in front of it, modulation & delays after. Set up as a clean boost with a little grit.

12. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

KOTv4 is my all time favorite OD pedal so far!

13. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

HBOD into KOTv.4 FTW!!!