• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Okay, I *kinda* played a TourMaster and JVM

So my local GC finally got in a TourMaster. Sitting there on top of the matching cab...beautiful. Another guy is tinkering with it and playing, he's pretty good, so I kind of stand to the side and watch to see.

Well, he played for about a 1/2 hour while I was there...I wandered off to play a JVM, and actually really liked it. I got those Marshall tones I know and love.

Back to the TourMaster, he's STILL there, so I press him to try different channels, and play around with it a little. It sounded REALLY good at low volumes...much better than I expected. The second gain channel was not as just 'over the top' gainy as I thought it might, it still had bite to it, not mush. Medium gains seemed to sound the best to me...Driven Fender/Clean Marshall stuff. The Reverb sounded a little anemic to me...all the way up it was barely noticable. Cleans we didn't play with too much, but got a nice 'ringy' tone right off the bat.

Needless, by now, this guy looks at me and sais, 'I gotta buy it'. Wow, out the same day it arrived. So no play for me... Oh well, worked out better since I could tweak the knobs while he played to see what everything did.

Overall, I am VERY impressed with this, it sounded good to great on every channel, and the very effective voicing switches made quite a bit of variety to enjoy.

Nice work Bruce!

EP

VERY good. Very growly rather than buzzy, saturated, but with plenty of definition there. With some of the voicings it was in Mesa territory. I would call it a high-gain beast, but if you need it as one of your channels, it can get there.

EP

Marshall Man

I saw one at my local GC yesterday as well. Top-notch stuff like this is made in China? you sure about that?

RP Rad

He is right, it is made in China. It's hard to beat the Egnater stuff I just got a Mod 50 and it flat out rocks.

JoshuaTSP

I saw one at my local GC yesterday as well. Top-notch stuff like this is made in China? you sure about that?
Everything is made in China. For the price the Tourmaster's are selling for it's not a bad deal. I cracked open my Rocktron Vendetta......supposedly foreign cheapo....but I was extremely impressed by the build quality.....not PTP, but who cares! :moon

IPlayHamers

I personally love the Tourmaster. I could care less where it's made, it sounds great. I tried the JVM too, but liked the Tourmaster better. Seemed more user friendly, IMO. The volume scaling is a big plus too.

I want one bad.......:drool

Hey, I'm not knockin'. I think Korg did pretty well with the AC30cc. As long as it sounds great, I'm okay. Yes, Made in America is a fine thing, but that head would have been 2k + made here.

EP

rcl

As of yesterday(just bought the eggy) I own both. I too bought it before anyone got to mess with it. Local GC got the cab, another one 30 miles away got the head the same day and shipped it over. I unboxed it personally.

I'll A/B them Saturday night, but I already know the answer. I hope to get to practice early and record some clips on the zoom H4. Channel 4 modern sounds like my road king so it will do the mesa sounds. I really don't go for that, but I do love channel 4 modern...how ever I have it set up now. I have 2&3 set to classic. I think 1 is modern but I forget. Not using much contour. Interesting control and at gig volume maybe more useful. It just cut too much at bedroom level. Very pleased with the ease of getting the sounds in my head as well as the diversity of the sounds between the channels. The concept of getting the sounds from Channel 1 and 4 from the same amp is pretty amazing. In the demo he mentioned something about it sounding acoustic at one point. I really couldnt hear it. I can now. It sounds like my JVM clean with an AC3 in the loop. Nothing in the path here. He gets that in the amp somehow.

IPlayHamers

What's that all about..................sorry I'm a dummy!!!
The amp is switchable from 10 to 100 watts and thats per channel. You can 100 watts on the clean channel for maximum headroom and then scale back the other channels accordingly.

I was concidering a low watt amp for gigs, but now I'm thinking the Egnater might be the ticket. It's really nice....

Top Bottom