Okay, I'm Convinced Brian May has the Best Tone Ever

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Picaflor, Jun 26, 2011.

1. angus99

angus99 Member

Yeah, they sucked live, alright. And audiences shunned them en masse.

Here's how bad they could be without a sound check.

2. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

One of the few, immediately identifiable signature tones out there. Really enjoy his playing

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

treble booster through a small battery powered amp.

4. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer Member

5. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

I was able to get really, really close to the WWRY tone with a Vox Tonelab ST's model of the AC30BM.

Interestingly, that same model can also be used for a passable imitation of the Rockman sound or "Money for Nothing", with some EQ tweaking.

6. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

Like several others already, I've got to disagree with that one strongly. They were an awesome live band IMO.

Sure, they were different live than in the studio, and of course they didn't try to replicate a lot of studio stuff because it simply wasn't practical. But they were an awesome force in the live environment, and practically born to play arenas.

Check out the "On Fire at the Bowl" DVD for some stellar live performances. The re-released version of the Montreal set is brilliant as well.

The Wembley show is probably my least favorite of their live releases--I don't think that the keyboard stuff mixes in particularly well, and Brian's guitar tone is a bit thin on that recording. But they still come off as an incredibly solid band.

For more evidence, check out some of the older stuff on YouTube--killer shows from '74, '75, etc. I would LOVE to have been able to see Queen during this era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0NmMJyZJs

Tom

7. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I mean, seriously--Ogre Battle! Holy Crap! Talk about your guitar tone....

8. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

Queen rules, live or in the studio! Brian May is a smoking hot guitarist, and I would much rather to listen to him than most any other lead guitarist, past or present. And Freddie, what can one say? No one commands the stage the way Freddie did. Just watch the Wembley Stadium DVD; he had the audience in the palm of his hand!

9. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

Yes, it is the best tone I have ever heard. "Love of My Life" in particular, it sounds like a friggin' cello.

10. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

To all the folks that disagree w/ my thesis about live Queen being not that great:

Show me a performance of ANY pop band where the live version (and remember MANY live rock/pop performances are "tweaked" afterwards) is better than the studio version....Yeah I THOUGHT SO, NOT A SINGLE ONE....

11. angus99

angus99 Member

Please define "better." If you mean note-for-note, pitch perfect, no flubs and the perfect acoustics of a recording studio, that's not why I go to live shows. I prefer any number of live performances I've seen to studio versions of the same song.

12. rwe333

rwe333 Member

"Brighton Rock" off Sheer Heart Attack is a real lesson in timbre/articulation/dynamics.

13. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Not looking hard enough, eh?

So freaking many I don't even know where to begin.

OK, how about "Whipping Post" for starters.

14. rspencer

rspencer Member

Personally loathe May's tone most of the time. Makes much of the Queen catalog almost unlistenable for me.

But they wrote some good songs, and had their own style. Mercury was an incredible singer as well.

15. niclake13

niclake13 Member

I had a musician who's opinions and ability I value highly tell me that my playing sounded "very Brian May-esque".

Best compliment I've ever gotten.

16. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

Sure he has great tone, but how many endangered critters must die to support a tour? :(

[​IMG]

17. Cirrus

Cirrus Member

What's your point? That you prefer studio recordings to live performances? That you're confusing subjective opinion with objective fact? That you said something silly but won't back down now?

Nobody cares that you prefer studio versions, go and enjoy whatever you want to. But it's not something you can start an argument about.

18. shg

shg Senior Member

The Live Aid "Radio Ga-Ga" owns the studio version.

19. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

All around amazing tone and musicianship. One of my favorite guitarists and luckily I had the privilege of seeing Queen in 1980 on The Game tour-spectacular live show and sound.

20. Yngtchie Blacksteen

Yngtchie Blacksteen Member

It owns most live performances, really. Queen were a tremendous live band and a tremendous studio band.