• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Okay, maybe music is dead.

bobcs71

Agreed, you can only listen to Stairway to Heaven so many times. That said, if you want a more modern day version of a "Virtuoso" band with a bit of old school metal vibe, there's some outside Euro/America. Check out this band, they make great driving music IMO with awesome lead guitar harmonies.

That's good!
I'm not really a metal guy but the song was solid & the solo said something. I did get an 80s flashback.

Blue_Precision

Diamond awards were started in 1999.

If I'm driving I'd rather hear Bruno Mars or Katy Perry than the same 5 classic rock songs or virtuosos that TGP likes.
I wouldn't, but I do understand most people, and certainly most younger people, would prefer Katy Perry to Yngwie. It's all good and in a lot of ways works in my favor. If I were into whomever is super popular with the masses, I'd have to pay big money for crummy seats to see them live. For a fraction of the price I could probably get VIP tickets to meet the artist for someone like Yngwie or Satriani.

bobcs71

I wouldn't, but I do understand most people, and certainly most younger people, would prefer Katy Perry to Yngwie. It's all good and in a lot of ways works in my favor. If I were into whomever is super popular with the masses, I'd have to pay big money for crummy seats to see them live. For a fraction of the price I could probably get VIP tickets to meet the artist for someone like Yngwie or Satriani.
Yngwie & Satriani aren't the same ol' classic rock either.

I've seen Eric Johnson a couple times and never had trouble getting tickets. The last time, if I had gone on the 1st night I could have met him through a mutual friend. :jo

Okay Boomer
oh my god, this guy once saw a video on the internet of some kid utter the sentence "ok boomer" and now mindlessly parrots the tired, ignorant phrase.
well done.

welcome to 2015.

oh- and yay for ageism!
it's so cool and edgy to hate on an entire group of people.

JC Scott

I can appreciate some select pop from the likes of Lady Gaga(eg. Love Game, Poker Face), Katy Perry(eg. Teenage Dream), and Taylor Swift(eg. Style) but the vast majority (99.9%) of pop today strikes me as completely disposable.

Last edited:

NatGardner

So are we hating on John Mayer in this thread or not?
Can't figure out..
Of course John Mayer sucks. Also, Eric Clapton is the most overrated " pentatonic over everything " average player around and Warren Haynes plays the Allman Brothers with way too much gain. I just wish I had their money, gear and jobs.

FenderLester

Music isn't dead. But it sure changes over time. What's popular now is because of current marketing, generational attitudes, and young people who haven't heard anything else to have greater perspective. But measuring just by sales? If we want to measure music, IMHO we need the right ruler, first.

Hackdog69

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry - everyone releasing albums wanted to be popular.
Most but not all, some people just like the process of writing and recording an album, drop it on soundcloud or whatever to share with friends.. a buddy and myself just finished an 11 song album and do it just to hang out and have fun... we don’t care if anyone likes it and certainly aren’t going to do the real work of marketing, etc to try and get it in front of people... just my 2¢

GV Quinn

You waste your time shaking your head at music you don't like.

You need to go find the music you want to hear, but there's no point complaining about crap. There was crap then and there's crap today. There's great stuff, but you've to branch out and look for it.

Music should be something to enjoy, not complain about. I spent years being a snobby hipster, but nobody cares.

leftygeetar

There are only 57 songs in history that have been certified diamond - here they all are (msn.com)

It's not all bad. There are a few decent tunes on the list but the majority is the worst example of popular music. Some have likely gotten a boost from other sources like movies and other pop culture references but others you just shake your head at.
Yes, well, I feel like it is masterful marketing. These songs may not be remembered or analysed but the marketing behind them should be. I think you can market almost anything but it is easier to sell a 3 minute song than a whole album which takes more patience to digest.

Jimbo99

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is the only one that is really a top 57 certified Diamond out of the bunch I would actually have on a streaming playlist, well, maybe Elton John's Candle in the Wind ? The rest of those I've pretty much forgotten about already. I can think of 57 other songs I'd rather listen to than virtually all of the one's listed. If they play on the radio, I'd listen to some of them, but there's also a search function to find another radio station in range that might have something I prefer.

Last edited:

justjames

Part of youth is rebelling and distancing yourself from previous generations. One of the more common methods is music. Each generation of teenagers has their own vintage. I had the good fortune of being a teenager through the years with the emergence of Van Halen, Michael Schenker, Randy Rhoads, etc. I also suffered through the disco disaster of the 70's. Singing 'Stayin Alive" around me was a good way to find out if you would or not.

Its just my opinion, and I know there are people who feel the exact opposite and that is okay... But I feel the death of music came with the introduction of rap, pitch correction, and formula pop hits. You didn't have to be able to play an instrument, you could just sample someone else's work. You didn't have to be able to sing, the electronics put you on key. You didn't have to be a songwriter, the formula was there for you to use at any time.

So sample someone else's work, use pitch correction, rhyme a few verses on the theme of the day, and find a front person who is relatively attractive/shocking in some way and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.

david henman

...i/we don't need to shake our heads at anything. musical taste is purely subjective. any sound a human being makes is music, if that is the intent, whether it's banging two rocks together while grunting, or creating soundscapes and rhythms on a midi keyboard while rhyming. no one is forcing any of us to like everything we hear. enjoy the music that speaks to you, and have a little respect for the simple fact that other people enjoy the music that speaks to them. how hard can that be? ridiculing or demeaning someone else's music, or someone else's taste in music, is not ever going to make your music sound better. as a classic rock musician who is also both a fan and a student of classic rock music, i am constantly embarrassed and disappointed by classic rock bozos who grew up with a smug, bloated sense of superiority about classic rock, and a pathetic inability to get over themselves - the "MY generation's music is far superior to YOUR generation's music" idiots. every generation has 'em. when i was growing up in the 50s listening to rock and rock, "they" whined on and on: "that's not music! that's just noise!" it just never ends, because we never learn, so history just continues to repeat itself. i find that most clthe fact is, there is more great music being made today than at any time in history. where are you looking for, and NOT finding, all this great music???

there is no “master race” and, by extension, there is no “greatest generation”

gibson3798

oh my god, this guy once saw a video on the internet of some kid utter the sentence "ok boomer" and now mindlessly parrots the tired, ignorant phrase.
well done.

welcome to 2015.

oh- and yay for ageism!
Right! It’s so much easier to parrot a childish insult than construct an intelligent reply.

I was expecting a meme to go with it, but in tryin to get yet another post, he rushed it with just that dumb blurb.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
well done.

welcome to 2015.

oh- and yay for ageism!
I'm about to hit 60 in a couple of months, so I am a boomer.

Hate? Naw, I was joking with @HERSCHEL hence the use of the tired phrase. I was using it tongue in cheek, which doesn't always translate in a text-only environment.

Ignorant? Not a chance. There's a reason why that phrase has had staying power.

Last edited:

St Guinefort

Gotta admit I was surprised at how recent all the songs are on that list. Also the repetitive artists on the list (awesome for them for the hits and sales). One other thing, I was surprised the only "classic" was Bohemian Rhapsody, great and popular song no doubt, just thought some other classics may have made that list...

Some great and catchy tunes for sure! For an old dude, I was pretty surprised I knew 90% of the songs.
Indeed, the net allows so many buying options it's inevitable most of these are recent. No Beatles, or Stones for instance. Not even the ubiquitous "Smoke on the Water", or "Stairway to Heaven".

One fact jumps to the ears! They sound in the great majority so similar. And in my humble opinion, it spells manufacturing a good towards the largest consumption possible. Wasn't one long held cliché "don't ever overestimate the public" or something similar.

The important fact in all production remains its staying power. With it'll survive the test of time. I do not believe many of these will. How many persons still listen to "The Twist" today? How many more to "Hang on Sloopy"?

gibson3798

I'm about to hit 60 in a couple of months, so I am a boomer.

Hate? Naw, I was joking with @HERSCHEL hence the use of the tired phrase. I was using it tongue in cheek, which doesn't always translate in a text-only environment.

Ignorant? Not a chance. There's a reason why that phrase has had staying power.
The relevant point should be to question as to who the lame quip has “staying power” with. Millennial basement dwellers may be the answer.

You may be the first 59 year old to utter the insult and admit your age, so while not a great moment, it shows courage to embrace a generation that is long on verbal put-downs and short on wisdom.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom