Okay P=90 users...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by pi22seven, Sep 26, 2008.

1. pi22seven

pi22seven Member

What do you do about hum?

I love the sound but anytime I toss a gain pedal into the mix it's buzzola time.

Any advice is a appreciated.

2. Sol

Sol Member

What guitar are we talking about?

The best shielding you can buy is copper sheets with a sticky backing, we use this on every guitar we build.

Shield the control cavity, but take care with the narrow Tele cavity as its easy for bare wires to touch the copper.

Shield the pickup cavitys, and on a Les Paul ,the pickup selector rout.
    Finally ground the copper shielding to earth, having connected your pickup rout to control rout with thin strips of copper or solder. (shield your output jack rout as well)

If all this is done well, even a Les Paul Junior/Special or Strat/Tele will be as quiet as most non shielded Humbucker equiped guitar.

3. jockman

jockman Member

I have a seymour phatcat at the neck of my guitar, no hum at all.

4. musicmann

musicmann Member

I haven't found anything that works other than positioning your guitar while playing. P-90's are almost like frickin' antenneas and the hum changes a bit as you move the guitar around. That's for recording.. For live I don't think there's much you can do. I have asked several very good techs about this because I have a couple of vintage Gibbys with P-90s, but there really isn't any shielding t be done usually., (I'm assuming you have a Gibson guitar with P-90s..If you have something else, there may be shielding options.) I'm told that having the winding partially dipped in parafin helps but changes the sound a little bit. So I just let it be. The tone is worth the hum for me, but I only record, I don't gig..

5. Willdance

Willdance Member

I just find that it forces you to get really good with riding your guitar volume like a fader on a mixer during breaks, until the song starts, right when it ends. same for pedals, on and off with a bit more precision. I was very impressed watching Dan from the Black Keys make it work with a very very noisy p90 guitar last time I saw them. I like how p90's keep you on your toes. The resulting tone is worth it.

6. dsj

dsj Member

Haven't heard the Black Keys, but on using the volume knob I couldn't agree more. And a little him never hurt anything, anyway, it's one of the "sounds of rock".

7. 6789

6789 Member

I replaced mine with a Kent Armstrong HP90. It's a noiseless/humbucking P90.

Or you can try an Electroharmonix Hum Debugger.

I got one to use with a few other single coil guitars that have bad hum at certain bars. I read reviews and half the people said it changed their sound and half said it worked great. It works great for me. the sound doesn't change at all and all the hum is gone like magic. here is a link to a sound clip I made of the Hum Debugger.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=4468335#post4468335
    [​IMG]

8. doctorx

doctorx Member

I always play louder than the hum, so you can't hear it.

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I tried Harmonic Design P90s, Vintage Vibe P90s - excellent vintage P90 tones, but bad hum, especially with OD. I tried the DiMarzio noiseless P90s, but they didn't sound like the HD or VV P90s.

Finally, by chance, through TGP member, Rob DiStephano, I got a custom set of 3 Kent Armstrong VP90s - pure vintage tones and no noise! Kent also made me a custom set of noiseless Charlie Christian pickups - killer!

BTW, I had 2 of the original Humdebuggers and while they worked OK with clean tones, they completely screwed up OD tones, no matter where I placed them in the chain.

10. hipfan

hipfan Member

Just keep playing.

All the time.

11. ahab

ahab Member

I turn the volume down when I'm not playing.

12. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Use less gain. I play my P90 guitar through a 100 watt Marshall and TS-9 and the hum is manageable in 99% of places. Unless there are a **** ton of neon lights around I'm fine.

13. 6789

6789 Member

Yeah some people have had trouble. Mine works perfect with cleans or overdriven. The sound isn't messed up one bit. When I tell people this, they don't believe me. So I posted a clip a while back. Maybe the pedal was updated and fixed????

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yup. Of course, I don't play with all that much gain, so it's not too bad for me... And I do gig, and have I learned to live with it. As you say, it's well worth it!

15. pi22seven

pi22seven Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

We were recording last night and I had major hum. Don't mind the hum playing out but it sucked in the studio.

16. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

The kill switch I added (as an afterthought on a 3 way toggle) works wonders for that.