Okay to use 1 6V6 GT and 1 6V6 GTA in my Clark Beaufort Tweed Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by SonexReducer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. SonexReducer

SonexReducer Member

Would it be okay to use a 6V6 GT and a 6V6 GTA in my Clark Beaufort Special Tweed Deluxe?

Thanks.

2. The Dirty Tube

The Dirty Tube Member

Yep.

The GTA is technically slightly up-rated, but the operations and functionality are identical to standard 6V6 tubes and it's perfectly fine to mix and match GT and GTA tubes as needed.

What's more important is that the tubes are fairly matched for conductance, but this applies to all power tube applications.

3. SonexReducer

SonexReducer Member

Thanks Dirty,

I just tested the tube, and with the gta and gt, it's got more of a "snappy" sound, but i'm sure it has to do with it being a different tube and not the gta thing. Anyways, I like it.

Whats the deal with these old hammond tubes, seem to sound pretty good to me.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Most Hammond tubes weren't pushed very hard, so used test pretty good and sound pretty good.

5. SonexReducer

SonexReducer Member

Thanks Dr Bob.

Your friend...

6. jcs

jcs Member

Matched somewhat close for current draw is at least or more important than mutual conductance.......

ALWAYS check current draw at idle.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd argue that I can live without matching for current draw, while I might get more hum, I also tend to get nice, second order harmonics. What I can't live with is a tube red-plating, and with new tubes the only way to prevent that is to test the bias at idle in your amp. Get some kind of bias testing system and check to see how much you're dissipating! I'm using the Weber Bias Rite, which is a pretty good solution with the voltage option.