Okay, who boosts their RAT with a KLON(e)?

OotMagroot

And if you do, what do you use? I'm using a modded RAT2 that is basically set up like a Turbo RAT.

I'm boosting the RAT with either a Plumes or a Sugar Drive...but I want to keep the Sugar Drive on the all mini board and get a bigger Klone for the big board.

I was thinking about a Mythical OD? Whatcha got?!

OotMagroot

If you like the sugar drive why not just get a 2nd one? :dunno
I'm growing a little weary of mini pedals - full sized only pedals for the big board. Plus, I've only recently warmed up to the Sugar Drive and I'm so inexperienced with Klones I'm not even sure if the SD is a good representation, but it does sound good boosting ye'ole RAT (so, it's ultimately a moot point, I reckon).

Stratburst70

If you want to stay mass market, the Way Huge Conspiracy Theory is a great option.

I also really like the Wampler Tumnus and Tumnus Deluxe. The Deluxe has a 3-band EQ that allows you to refine your sound a bit more.

jvin248

Funny, I was just doing that yesterday, thinking how awesome the tone was!

Go on Amazon and find the $28 Golden Horse mini pedal. Klon Klone.

I run that into a $25 Black Rat mini pedal (which has the turbo switch), also from Amazon. RAT clone.

While you are there, also put in your basket an Azor 303 Fuzz for $20. Because that is fun too.

Fuzz into Klon into Rat...

I boost a DS-1, a big muff and a MXR super badass with a RYRA Klone. Only compared it personally with a Tumnus. Bought the RYRA. Really clean boost, really sparkly top end. Fantastic piece of kit.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
ARC Klone -> Modified Budd Box style Rat has been my basic gain setup for 7 years now. So much so that my fly board has a clone of that Rat pedal as well as a Tumnus. I prefer the ARC to the Tumnus, mostly because I use the Tumnus so infrequently (a few times a year) that I haven't really gotten to know it as well as I do the ARC.

monty

I also use a Sugar drive for this but like you I found another use for it. I’ve been having good luck with the soul food.

OotMagroot

I boost a DS-1, a big muff and a MXR super badass with a RYRA Klone. Only compared it personally with a Tumnus. Bought the RYRA. Really clean boost, really sparkly top end. Fantastic piece of kit.
Dizayum, a Black Cherry RYRA looks mighty nice! I almost bought one of their 808 clones awhile back. Will definitely consider this one...just by looks alone - ha!

OotMagroot

ARC Klone -> Modified Budd Box style Rat has been my basic gain setup for 7 years now. So much so that my fly board has a clone of that Rat pedal as well as a Tumnus. I prefer the ARC to the Tumnus, mostly because I use the Tumnus so infrequently (a few times a year) that I haven't really gotten to know it as well as I do the ARC.
Isn't the dude from ARC on hiatus or something? I thought there was a thread about that. I'd also like to try a Soothsayer at some point. That said, I'm not opposed to buying used.

rawkguitarist

And if you do, what do you use? I'm using a modded RAT2 that is basically set up like a Turbo RAT.

I'm boosting the RAT with either a Plumes or a Sugar Drive...but I want to keep the Sugar Drive on the all mini board and get a bigger Klone for the big board.

I was thinking about a Mythical OD? Whatcha got?!
I've not boosted my Black Plague with it but my main setup at home is a Mythical OD into a Barber Direct Drive. I bought the Mythical on a whim just to see what the Klon thing was about. I didn't expect it to be one of my favorite pedals ever. The only clean boost/OD that comes close (and even exceeds for some purposes) is the Timmy. Again... a pedal that lives up to the hype.

They key with the Klon is that when set as a Clean boost, other than a *slight* fattening it doesn't really affect the tone or the texture of the gain to any perceivable level to my ears. In other words - the first boost to ever do what I expected a boost to do.

I'll try putting my Black Plague in Turbo mode and put the MO in front of it.

GreenKnight18

I have a EQD Plumes in front of my Rat. Excellent sounds. I also use a Klon KTR in front of it. Always sounds nice.

Mr.Woody

Silver Supporting Member
Sure do.
Rat is a Reinhardt Willard, solo boost is Klon (Archer):

Was asked to do this video of Klon (Archer) into Rat (Willard) with delay (El Cap) and reverb (Flint):

louisnd

EHX Soul food into my Rat (recent model, modded with the lm308 chip).
They where ment to be together.
Amazing combo (for the price!)

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
Isn't the dude from ARC on hiatus or something? I thought there was a thread about that. I'd also like to try a Soothsayer at some point. That said, I'm not opposed to buying used.
I think I read something about that on another thread recently.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Love my Mythical OD! However I do find I enjoy it as an all the time on pedal more than gain/distortion. Warms and fattens my clean tone, gain around 9 o'clock. I get my gain from a La Grange which achieves that plexi tone in my head, and when I want to get crazy I push that with a v.2 Timmy.

jlinde

I like the Nux Horseman best out the the klones I've tried. I bought 2 of them. One dimed for main drive and one for strictly boosting.

oildrops

I actually did this last night for the first time. Sugar drive > black secret. I dont typically like either pedal unless they are pretty loud so not my thing at home but at volume its probably sick.

Trending Topics