OK…Jensen P12Q, C12N, or Weber 12a125a??? Or…???

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TNJ, Apr 26, 2015.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

For my nicely built 5E3 Tweed Deluxe Clone?
    I dig sparkly cleans at small gig volumes, but also dig speaker breakup with
    that Tweedy twist at the crank of a Strat or Tele volume pot with no (or very little) more volume overall.
    I dont wanna get on a speaker merry-go-round…I want one speaker to give me just what I described.

What's gonna get me there at small club volumes?
    Jensen?? Weber?? Others??

S.
    j

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. zenas

zenas Member

Maybe a WGS G12Q. Haven't tried one yet myself though.

I think you're looking for something with low efficiency anyways.

3. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

I had a Clark 5E3 that came with a Weber 12a125a. It was really, really dark. Almost to point where I was considering just selling the amp right away.
    Then I installed a Celestion Blue and it was like the best sounding amp I had ever heard.

4. mxvin

mxvin Member

P12N....

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

The C12N will be pretty clean and not break up much. I'm not fond of the other two though. But the vintage P12N is highly touted. I've been using an EMI GA SC64 (GA=George Alessandro) lately and man it is a wonderful speaker in a low wattage amp.
    Of course a 5E3 has it's own break up, so adding a speaker with breakup... are you sure that's what you want? That's why I lean toward the SC or C12N, but that's me not you! The SC has some break up, the C12N not much.

6. zenas

zenas Member

An organ pull P12Q is an option if you can find one.
    And that remains me I gave one to my brother and I'm at his place in southern Indiana now. I might have to con it out of him.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

I ran an reconed organ pull P12Q (with a ribbed cone) that was perfect until I blew it up having too much fun. Now the Red Fang is back in there until I recone the P12Q.

8. zenas

zenas Member

Going with a higher wattage voice coil this time Fezz?

9. fezz parka

fezz parka Member

No, sticking with Nomex. Just not gonna run an Octave Multiplexer into a Q-Tron through it anymore. lol

10. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

A 5E3 breaks up very quickly and has a fat tone so a speaker with a cleaner sound and not a ton of low end works well if you're gigging with it. The Jensen Tornado Neo would be perfect for this.

11. hustist1

hustist1 Member

I'll throw the new Jupiter 12SC in the ring. I recently replaced the C12Q in my 5e3 with one and have been very impressed. It's more efficient, of course, but the bass is tighter, and the high end is smooth and sparkly. I had planned on putting one of my Blues in there, but the Jupiter nails it for me.

Steven

12. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

It sounds to me like you want a vintage Jensen P12 speaker. I prefer the vintage versions over any of the modern clones. Not only do they sound better to my ear, but they cost about the same. I've got quite a few speakers from the 60's and none of them have needed re-coning yet, so don't let that argument scare you off. And I gig with these speakers and regularly push them, so we're not talking about bedroom volume here. Just make sure the cones are good before you buy them, and then don't put them into an overpowered amp and you should be fine.

Now another option, and my favorite for the 5E3, is the Celestion Blue or Gold. It's got loads of harmonics and makes for a nice complex sound. Plus it gives the 5E3's natural crunch a little extra grit and gives the cleans a little more character. To me, it's the best choice for a 5E3 circuit, but it's not period correct. So I wouldn't go that route if you're trying to nail the classic 5E3 tone. But if you're looking for the best possible tone you can get out of your 5E3, I don't think you'll find a better choice.

13. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Avatar has a new low watt alnico as well.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Anybody try a Fane alnico 12AXA, 50 watter?
    I have one sitting around…actually I have a Blue sitting around too…15ohm.

* So, I just ordered a vintage 1961 Jensen p12q 8ohm 12". I will try that one, along with the Blue and the Fane alnico's.
    Winner wins!

S.
    j

15. EFK

EFK Supporting Member

Those Fanes are 100W speakers. Spectacular speakers in higher wattage amps but I don't find them to be at their best until they are pushed a little and a Deluxe is nothing to one of those. At lower output and volume you may find them to seem constricted. MHO anyway.

A Tone Tubby "low watt" or "Humbolt" (I cant keep track of what they call those things) is a wonderful, bright and glassy speaker and low volumes in a tweedy type amp and will give you some break up when you hit it with some output. Pricey but they're really nice alnico speakers and extremely articulate.