1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

OKKO Coca Comp Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DraggAmps, May 21, 2011.

1. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

So, I've gone from Diamond Comp, to Mad Professor FGC, back to the Diamond Comp, and today, I reveiced the FGC that I had traded my Diamond for again. I've tried a bunch of other comps, including the actual BJFE PGC (which was just worth too much money for something I don't use all the time and that isn't that much better. It was too easy to sell for something else.) and these two seem to be the best. I'm extremely interested in the OKKO Coca Comp. I love OKKO pedals, it looks cool as hell, it has a slightly higher ratio than the Diamond, a smaller footprint, and lacks a tone knob, which I don't mind and is actually a plus for me because it keeps things simple and I use a Fromel Shape EQ anyway. It seems like it could be the perfect comp, given the type, the brand, the ratio (4:1), the knobs, and the size. I'm hoping it can be the tie breaker between the Diamond and the FGC. Anyone try one? The Effectrode compressor seems awesome too, but again, I'm not sure if I care about it that much at that price. I might try the PGC again when Bearfoot releases it, but I don't think it will really be much of a tie breaker. Based on memory, it's just a simpler, slightly more mojo-esque FGC. Anyway, the OKKO is calling my name, but it's not real popular, so I'm hoping someone has had some experience.

2. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Have you seen this page?

http://www.ovnilab.com/

I believe he's a bassist though. Some of his comparisons do involve guitars but most of his opinions seem to revolve around bass frequency response. Nonetheless, it's still an interesting read.

3. circusinthesky

circusinthesky Member

I just picked up the effectrode. Really impressive. Very much my idea of a studio compressor in a stomp box. You might also check the reviews on that ovnilab page for the Rothwell Love Squeeze. I found that to be a very transparent comp, but the Effectrode did sort of pretty up the tone a bit, which is why I went that route.

4. pappafox

pappafox Member

5. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

The Fromel Velvet vice is the worst I ever played. No offense.
    I'd love to try the effectrode or Okko.

6. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Yeah, I love that page. Lots of useful comparisons. Thanks.

7. Iggster

Iggster Member

The Okko is very similar to the Demeter comp (though a bit brighter). it sounds great with both single coil and humbuckers.

8. 66Park

66Park Member

The Effectrode is wonderful. I have absolutely no desire to try anything else.

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

You do have good taste in pedals Dragg;)

Had an early version of the Diamond comp. and dumped it in a NYC minute as it messed with my attack too much...big let down for me...

Had a couple of PGCs...a pale and pine version and loved them until I heard the Okko CC as IME it is more natural sounding...the high end in the PGC sounds artifical in comparison to the Okko...bought two...one for each board and still have one as I am only running one board right now...

It's optical...does not mess with your tone and is the only pedal compressor I've had that works with acoustic...bass and guitar...

In comparison to the PGCs the Cc is much more natural and organic sounding...doesn't do high levels of compression but is a great leave it on tone enhancer...it thickens...fattens and tightens your bottom end as well leaving your high end intact...I use it after my drives to give a low gain overdrive more sustain and cream but also like what it does to me cleans...it evens without squashing dynamics...

Having said that I am having a rethink about pedal compressors in general since I got my Fitzo...I use my Fitzo in a similar way as to how I use my Coca Comp...so the great debate rages...do I need both???

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Sikor

Sikor Member

After I tested CocaComp at Seegs I felt in love with it :)
    It's simple, doesn't swuish attack, but makes lower part louder.
    Also does great thing to clean tone.
    I stopped looking at compressor after I got CC :aok

11. enocaster

enocaster Member

Very interesting. I have the Diamond and like it - but also don't dig the attack. I'm considering the OKKO and the Mirage - has anyone tried both?

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

13. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I went to my local on the weekend with every intention of walking out with the OKKO and I left empty-handed. It adds a noticeable amount of presence to your tone. I play a strat set fairly bright, and set up the demo strat/amp at the shop the same. When I switched on the OKKO it became too bright - brittle in fact. I'm sure a re-EQ of the amp would deal with that though; it wasn't the deciding factor for me. What I didn't really gel with was the "lifts the troughs but doesn't squash the peaks" aspect to it. Just didn't feel right to me. I guess I want the smoothing to come from the top down. It was a quality unit though. Quiet and well made.

Next I tried the FGC CB. The sustain mode was similar to the OKKO, but added even more presence to my ears, even with the tone knob rolled back. It didn't squash enough for me. The compr mode was way too squashy.

Enter the velvet vice. That pedal was different to the other two - had a real "plucky" kind of effect that was quite noticeable. A bit more of a "hey, you've just switched on a compressor" vibe. I didn't play it long.

Unfortunately they were out of Diamond compressors so I couldn't try that one.

At the mo I'm thinking of taking a punt on the Rothwell Love Squeeze from PGS.

14. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

I can see the presence being added, that's something that I'm used to as part of what a compressor does. The Diamond and FGC both do this, to my ears. It's something I kind of like because it can give dirt pedals that extra edge I want when boosting them, and when using it for cleans, it brightens up my warmer clean tone that I have because I feel a warmer clean tone makes a significantly better platform for my dirt pedals. However, it can be a little bland as a clean tone, so I like what compressors do for the cleans, brightening included. Still interested, still gonna get one.

15. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Sounds like it will be suitable for you

16. Frosty

Frosty Member

How is the Okko comp for clean sustain? Is it as good as a ross type or orange squeezer type?

17. Frosty

Frosty Member

Anybody have an opinion on this?

18. DraggAmps

DraggAmps Member

Not a very popular pedal yet, unfortunately. OKKO is fairly expensive and mostly a European brand. Some of the dirt pedals have caught on in the States, and they're great, but I doubt many people have even heard of the Coca Comp on here. I'll be getting one. I'll have to get it, demo it, and if it's good, start a wave of hype surrounding it :)

19. Toe

Toe Member

It's a great pedal. Simple, small enclosure, not noisy (except at extreme settings, but that's normal) and does it's job. I also had the Diamond and the Wampler for a while. All quality pedals, I prefer the one with the smallest enclosure. I use my CC mainly to "sweeten" my clean tone (as mentioned, it adds presence, which I like) and to get more out of my drives. Also, I live in Europe, so it's actually one of the cheapest "boutique" compressors on the market here.

Other than that I think it's very hard to recommed a compressor based on what it does with your tone, because that's very, very rig dependent.

Also note that Okko recently changed the pedal graphics. If that's important. I prefered the old design, but that's a matter of taste. The new one looks like this:

[​IMG]