Oklahoma Tornados

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by orourke, May 9, 2016.

1. orourke

orourke Member

MSNBC was playing live local OK news of the Tornados out there just a few minutes ago. Jeez, who do people live out there? It's like, "it's a lovely place, it's just that Godzilla comes through a few times a years and tears up the joint, otherwise it's great!".

We get a really bad storm or even a Tornado every now and then, but nothing like that. You Oklahoma people are a tough breed! I don't know how you do it.

derekd and seajay like this.
  2. guitz

guitz Member

The actual path of most is pretty narrow so the odds of getting a direct hit are low...unless you are in Moore that place has a target on it !

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I live close to the Arbuckle Mtns. Not very impressive, but they have a significant impact on the storms we receive here.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a storm come screaming across the state only to break up just west of here then reform a few miles east. :dunno

We miss out on some rain, but we also miss out on some hail and tornadoes.

4. seajay

seajay Member

It's scary stuff, living under that kind of threat. I used to live right down the road from Oklahoma City in Wichita Falls, Texas which is certainly still tornado country. There were a few times when the skies really looked threatening but only one time I can recall the sirens going off, and it scared the crap out of me. When there is that greenish tint to the sky I really get worried. In retrospect I think the years that I lived there, '89-'98, were kind of quiet for that thing. It seems like ever since '99 all hell breaks loose regularly in OK.

orourke likes this.
  5. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

It's like living with any other risk.
    Tornado damage is extremely localized in nature. The odds of being in a direct encounter with one are pretty low.
    In, say, an earthquake, there's not a thing you can do, not a place you can go. You can hide from a tornado in a good hole and it's gone in 30 seconds.

Plus, we know when days have high chances for the things and keep the proverbial weather eye out.

Honestly, dodging tornadoes is some of the best entertainment we have here. :D (A healthy dose of gallows humor is always called for when discussing the creatures.)

orourke and jrjones like this.
  6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

1979 Wichita Falls. 1/5 of the city was destroyed by a mile wide monster.

orourke and seajay like this.
  7. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Not many years ago Oklahoma had a couple of earthquakes a year. Now they're recording around 900+ earthquakes a year.
    Where I am in Virginia tornados are occurring more frequently. One passed by a week or so ago, a few months back 3 went through our area, and last year we had 3 go right past us one night. It's a freaky feeling to find yourself under the basement stairs wondering what's going to happen

SPROING! likes this.
  8. guitz

guitz Member

Yep!

SPROING! likes this.
  9. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I was in Oklahoma City in 2013 when they had the two F5's in one week. One was two and a half miles WIDE. In the thirteen years I lived there, I never once saw a funnel cloud. Most seem to go South to Moore, or North to Edmond. I guess you just kind of get used to them, the way you do quakes in Cali., or hurricanes in the Florida.

buddaman71 and SPROING! like this.
  10. seajay

seajay Member

That's another thing...I moved there 10 years after Terrible Tuesday and it was still fresh in people's mind. People that lived through that were absolutely terrified when the weather would get severe and it would kind of rub off on me. Added to the scariness of severe weather down there. The destroyed section town had been rebuilt but there were still scars, like the occasional still empty slab foundation. Or the different colored brick on the Dillard's from when the mall was hit. The apartment complex we lived in had been partially destroyed and you could see the distinct phases of the complex, the part that survived was a little different from the destroyed then rebuilt units.

SPROING! likes this.
  11. burner

burner Member

Ha!
    There were always the arguments: California vs. Oklahoma/Tornado vs. Earthquake
    Now....we are getting so many earthquakes here we've got the worst of both worlds...WTF!?

Yeah we had a little action today, some close calls, but everything's good here in the Tulsa area. For now...

orourke and SPROING! like this.
  12. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls.....

SPROING! and seajay like this.
  13. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

60 minutes did a story on Ok earthquakes last night with many residents blaming deep waste water pumping (from oil wells) as the cause. what's worse than an earthquake? a man-made earthquake.

14. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I know it seems crazy to some, but I've lived in OK 39 of my 44 years and I've only really been somewhat close to 4 tornadoes. (Granted, 2 of them were so big it seemed like the end of days, but statistically they are pretty localized, compared to a hurricane, for example.)

We have a hi-tech shelter in our garage and that gives us peace of mind if we're in the path. Even growing up here, it's pretty scary when the right weather patterns line up.

I'd guess the average Okie is about as knowledgeable of legit weather science as most local meteorologists from other areas of the country. It's just part of life.

Wolfboy1, SPROING! and seajay like this.
  15. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

We really don't get that many earthquakes in Southern California. Including 1933 there have only been 5 major quakes in SoCal. The 1933 Long Beach one (6.4), The 1971 Sylmar quake (6.7) in the valley, the 1992 Landers quake (7.3) in the middle of nowhere (but it was a big one), followed by the Big Bear quake on the same day (6.5) and the 1994 quake in Northridge (6.7) in the valley again. Of course that means we're way overdue for The Big One which will probably be around 8.0 and cause massive damage and probably kill a couple of thousand people...

I'll take a quake every now and then over guaranteed tornadoes every single year. I guess it's all in what you're used to. You guys stay safe out there.

16. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I'm in OKC.
    The popular term is being "weather aware"
    It is very flat out here so it is easy to see storms building a few counties away and understand if there is impending threat.
    In recent years, since the tragedy in Moore where kids lost lives in an elementary school, there has been federal rebates for in ground storm shelters. Booming business.

The ground has a high concentration of clay, so basement construction is generally not practicle.

SPROING! and seajay like this.
  17. Rezin

Rezin Member

You're forgetting the Easter Sunday quake in 2010 on the California/Mexico border, a 7.2 with Intensity VII shaking (Very Strong) felt in Calexico, Imperial, El Centro and Heber. Both Mexicali and Calexico were badly damaged.

18. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yes I did. Thanks for the reminder.

19. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Man made quakes are tiny wimpy little quakes. Worse than a Line 6 model of an earthquake. :D

And I've had close calls with more than I can recall. Together, we make a deceptive average!

buddaman71 likes this.
  20. luv

luv Member

I grew up in Edmond and lived in Edmond and OKC for the first 19 years of my life. I've been close to several tornadoes. My sister lives in Moore, which has become famous for being leveled about every 5-10 years. I've had friends lose their house. I've seen the damage first hand. It's crazy how varied the destruction is....three houses in a row leveled and then two, in the same row, completely unscathed, followed by another two that were leveled as well.

I remember a storm where a funnel cloud was coming toward our house. I decided to leave. As I was getting in my car there was debris flying all through the air and landing all around the yard. I got in the car and looked up and my trampoline (on the side of the house) lifted straight up in the air about 10 feet and then flipped upside down and then gently floated back down to the ground. It scared the hell out of me and I backed out of the driveway and took off as fast as I could. No damage to the house.

Oklahoma can be a crazy place at times. Growing up there made me really fond of thunderstorms. I love lightning and loud rumbling thunder.....louder the better. A heavy rain makes me sleep like a baby. I miss those storms, but not the tornadoes. Denver doesn't get the same ferocity of storms, due to the mtns on the west side of town.

buddaman71, Wolfboy1 and SPROING! like this.