• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

OLC Chunky Cheese & Lovetone Big Cheese

I did a search but couldn't find anything substantial. Have been wanting a big cheese but they are hard to find an really pricey. Was wondering if anybody has time on both of them and can tell me how close the chunky cheese sounds to the big cheese.

thanks

evan

SonicVI

I had a Big Cheese back around 2000 and now have a Chunky Cheese. I can only go on my memory but the OLC sounds pretty much like the real deal except it has more volume available.

lonelylooper

Plate of shrimp
Gold Supporting Member
I did a search but couldn't find anything substantial. Have been wanting a big cheese but they are hard to find an really pricey. Was wondering if anybody has time on both of them and can tell me how close the chunky cheese sounds to the big cheese.

thanks

evan
You know the lovetone stuff was really quite cool, but give me a break.
There are a million nice fuzz/distortions out there, get the chunky cheese, it's $165 shipped and the big cheese is $700 + (ridiculous).
I had a big cheese sold it bough about 4 other things and a chunky cheese and I'm as happy as a clam.
Thats my 2 cents:boxer

SonicVI

I just got deal on a Big Cheese ($275 shipped) and compared to my Chunky Cheese I can assure you they sound virtually identical. The only difference is the OLC is louder. The Big Cheese doesnt really have any volume boost available, but the OLC does.

nibus

I have the OLC and it's sweet - I much prefer it over the Fuzz Factory for crazy sounds. It's more controllable and has a wider tone range.

yucatown

Platinum Supporting Member
I just got deal on a Big Cheese ($275 shipped) and compared to my Chunky Cheese I can assure you they sound virtually identical. The only difference is the OLC is louder. The Big Cheese doesnt really have any volume boost available, but the OLC does.
So that was you who snatched the one from ebay, eh? When I saw that I thought it was too good to be true. That seller had some amazing deals going.

SonicVI

So that was you who snatched the one from ebay, eh? When I saw that I thought it was too good to be true. That seller had some amazing deals going.

yep, twas me. Those were indeed some amazing deals they had. I was hesitant buying from a 0 feeback seller, but I figured if they weren't legit Paypal would have my back.

lonelylooper

Plate of shrimp
Gold Supporting Member
I forgot to mention the real big difference between the two!
The big cheese can run on a 9v and the chunky cheese will not.
One of if not the very coolest things about the BC was that you can get awesome suboctives with a dying battery and alittle tunning of you volume on your guitar.... Very cool!
Mike from olc recomended that I get in touch with Dano from Beavis Audio, who makes a dying battery simulator to perhaps achieve this feature on the CC.
I tried to contact Dano to get one but haven't heard back yet.
I'll let you know when I do.

lonelylooper

Plate of shrimp
Gold Supporting Member
"Most importantly, the Chunky Cheese is not battery-powered."
Direct quote from Mark R of OLC.

Trending Topics