OLC English Channel

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by scott1568, Jan 19, 2008.

1. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I finished this kit at about 4:30 this morning. I think that between this and my first project which was a Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, I am turning into a F'n geek.....

No noise, does twang to no end, chime, swirl everything- a very rich sound. Oh, and I used to dislike, that "swirl" term until I built this thing. Now I understand. It gives a nice tube-like sound at higher gain settings. It won't turn your amp into a Vox, but you can pull up along side one with this. I think the Celestion Blue has a significant contribution to that sound, and I am using an Emi Rajin Cajun and Copperhead right now.

I highly recommend this kit for only $70. It may require some patience though, go slow. I did mine in 2 hour increments here and there. You should have a multimeter, "Helping Hands", and I recommend 24 guage solid core "rainbow" wire - all from Radio Shack. All of this will come in handy for your next project.

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

3. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

That one's been on my want list for a while now. I already have the Professor Tweed, Supreaux and Umble...

:dude

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

No love for the Thor?

I have this kit on the way. Its based on the late 60's/early seventies marshall superlead circuit. Unlike the other kits which are based on older Runoff groove circuits, this one is very new and is a major upgrade from the old Thunderchief circuit.

Check it out:
    http://runoffgroove.com/thor.html

5. cber1517

cber1517 Member

This may be a dumb question - but can you buy these pedals as finished on their website? I love the "amp" look of each of them. I know it would cost extra but was curious. The clips sound great!

6. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

Yes, you can get any of them pre-built - the English Channel is $150. I think most of them are, for pre-built. Just click on "pedals" from the main menu, instead of "kits." As far as I know they all come finished with the amp graphics.