Old Ampeg Reverberocket advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Patch, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Patch

Patch Gold Supporting Member

I have the 7591 version with echo and tremolo.

It needs a new speaker. What are your suggestions? Weber? Cannabis Rex?
    What ohmage for the speaker? 8 or 16 ohms?

Any experience with new production tubes like JJ or EH for the 7591, 6SN7, 6SL7? Or you prefer NOS? Which ones?

Thanks in advance!

2. LunarSF

LunarSF Member

Speaker should be 8 ohms. I had mine redone (reverb tube replaced with another preamp tube) and the tech put in an EV Force 30 I believe. I also got tired of spending the big bucks for (then out of production) 7591s and put in some THD yellowjackets. It's different, and a nice, reversible option.

3. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I'd DEFINITELY try a Cannabis Rex. The Weber ceramic Blue Dog will sound great too. Celestion G1265 might also be a good choice. IME, the JJ 7591s sound good but probably won't last as long as some good old ones. No experience with newer octal tubes.

4. bushmill

bushmill Member

The Ceramic Blue Dog is GREAT in this amp! I have a 68 Reverberocket and tried a 12F150, Jensen c12n, and the Blue....The Blue has it!
    :BEER

5. CthonicEwes

CthonicEwes Member

EH 7591 tubes are also an option--I put them in my reverberocket a few years ago and they've been fine.

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Weber Ceramic Blue Dog,50 watt,light dope and have them break it in for you.JJ 7591's are great as are the new Tung Sol 6SL7's.

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

What kind of wattage does a 7591-equipped Reverberocket put out?

8. bunuel

bunuel Member

Congrats! the early Reverberockets are sweet. I'd definitely go with old stock for the 6SN7 & 6SL7 tubes. They can still be found in the realm of the reasonable & they are much better in my exp. than current production. I've had very good luck with the jj 7591--old stock is nice, too, but finding a matched pair will deflate yr pocketbook! Although the early 'rocket's punch out about 18 (or so) watts, be sure to use a spkr that's rated much higher.